Care home Facebook page

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
My Mum died in October. The CH had set up a Facebook page. Lots of photos and videos were posted and I could see Mum and her friends regularly including Mum blowing out candles on her birthday cake. After Mum died I could still see her friends and carers and it brought me comfort as after all this was her home. Last month I found I could no longer access the Facebook page. I understand it's a matter of safeguarding and privacy but I do miss seeing life going on in her home ! I think it's cruel but can't do anything. Am I being unreasonable?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Are you saying that the Facebook page is for the whole home and therefore public, or are you saying the Facebook page is specifically for your mum as a tribute and therefore has privacy settings attached?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Whilst your mum was alive, its good that you could see the FB page to keep up with what was going on,

Now she has gone it probably isn't appropriate ( sorry) . As you say, its IS safeguarding issue and not personal
Ask if you can have copies of the pictures.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Are you saying that the Facebook page is for the whole home and therefore public, or are you saying the Facebook page is specifically for your mum as a tribute and therefore has privacy settings attached?
It's for the Home but has privacy settings so allows only family of residents

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Whilst your mum was alive, its good that you could see the FB page to keep up with what was going on,

Now she has gone it probably isn't appropriate ( sorry) . As you say, its IS safeguarding issue and not personal
Ask if you can have copies of the pictures.
I know you're right but these people were Mum's friends and I miss seeing them.
I'm just bring illogical but I miss Mum so much even seeing her friends would comfort me.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
You could always volunteer at the care home... I'm sure your mum's friends would love you to visit - is that possible? (Post-covid...)

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
You could always volunteer at the care home... I'm sure your mum's friends would love you to visit - is that possible? (Post-covid...)
Unfortunately I live 200 miles a 3 and a half hour drive away. This Facebook page kept me in touch with Mum . When they allowed visits we drove 7 hrs for a half an hour visit.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
could you make a little film of your mum and her friends now that is for you to watch so privately held rather on facebook. you will need permission of your mums friends but just a sequence maybe of what she was doing

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Unfortunately I live 200 miles a 3 and a half hour drive away. This Facebook page kept me in touch with Mum . When they allowed visits we drove 7 hrs for a half an hour visit.
Ahhh! Sorry - what a shame. Perhaps it's worth having a word with the care home - I'm sure if you explained they would restore your access to the FB page....

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Ahhh! Sorry - what a shame. Perhaps it's worth having a word with the care home - I'm sure if you explained they would restore your access to the FB page....
I don't think they're actually allowed to include me. Safeguarding issues are taken very seriously in CHs . I told them I thought it was cruel to exclude me but they insisted they really had no choice as it might effect any inspection they had.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
could you make a little film of your mum and her friends now that is for you to watch so privately held rather on facebook. you will need permission of your mums friends but just a sequence maybe of what she was doing
I do have many photos and the videos of Mum. I might put the photos together in a book when I have better control over my emotions. Thanks Susan

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I understand how you are feeling. My mum always appeared in the homes videos & photos as she was so sociable & liked to join in with any activities. I found it comforting to see & like you I was also interested to see how the other residents were doing. What I did discover was the home's website changed it's photos a while ago & I spied a side view of mum with other residents watching some entertainment..I don't know if those pictures should be used when residents are no longer there or have since died but I didn't mind. It was nice to see her enjoying the singing.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I understand how you are feeling. My mum always appeared in the homes videos & photos as she was so sociable & liked to join in with any activities. I found it comforting to see & like you I was also interested to see how the other residents were doing. What I did discover was the home's website changed it's photos a while ago & I spied a side view of mum with other residents watching some entertainment..I don't know if those pictures should be used when residents are no longer there or have since died but I didn't mind. It was nice to see her enjoying the si

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I understand how you are feeling. My mum always appeared in the homes videos & photos as she was so sociable & liked to join in with any activities. I found it comforting to see & like you I was also interested to see how the other residents were doing. What I did discover was the home's website changed it's photos a while ago & I spied a side view of mum with other residents watching some entertainment..I don't know if those pictures should be used when residents are no longer there or have since died but I didn't mind. It was nice to see her enjoying the si
How nice . Thank you for your support. My Mum was the opposite, she wasn't really a joiner in so the photos with her birthday cake or just sitting in the lounge were special for me. I feel like it's another connection lost now I can't see her friends. I used to ring up regularly to see how she was and I miss those calls with the carers too. Even though Mum was in a CH a lot of my time and my 'headspace' was taken up with sorting out things for her and I suppose my problem now is that that space is now empty if that makes any sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman