New diagnosis, support needed

colacube

Apr 5, 2021
Hi there. My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with early alzheimer's. Despite it being very much expected it has still been a shock and also as you can imagine, upsetting. She doesn't want to talk about it. To be honest my husbands family in general are not great at communicating and it can be frustrating at times! After a bit of reading I don't think there is any point forcing the situation and making her 'accept it'
I want to support her as best I can but have no idea where to start really. Covid hasn't helped at all as things are shut down but I think at the moment she would be unlikely to agree to attend anything with the dementia/alzheimers name attached to it.
We have 2 young children and my husbands brother lives in America so it is very likely to be our little family who will be main carers. My father in law is trying his best in his own way but is already finding things frustrating.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to dementia Talking Point @colacube

I hope the above factsheet will help you.

Please ask if there is anything specific you need help with. There is a wealth of experience among our members.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in February last year and was told at the memory clinic. As we got in the car, I decided to leave the words Alzheimer's and dementia behind at the clinic and neither of us have mentioned it since.

Mum is aware that she has memory issues but doesn't realise just how quickly she forgets things.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi there. My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with early alzheimer's. Despite it being very much expected it has still been a shock and also as you can imagine, upsetting. She doesn't want to talk about it. To be honest my husbands family in general are not great at communicating and it can be frustrating at times! After a bit of reading I don't think there is any point forcing the situation and making her 'accept it'
I want to support her as best I can but have no idea where to start really. Covid hasn't helped at all as things are shut down but I think at the moment she would be unlikely to agree to attend anything with the dementia/alzheimers name attached to it.
We have 2 young children and my husbands brother lives in America so it is very likely to be our little family who will be main carers. My father in law is trying his best in his own way but is already finding things frustrating.
I'd suggest you think also about the legal and financial aspects ot the situation , such as getting LPA and whatever might be useful to manage your MIL .

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @colacube

I think you are wise not to force things. Gentle compassionate support is a good way to go, dealing with issues and symptoms as they arise. The forum is a very understanding place and the members will be able to help you along with anything that comes up.

There is a good, free online course (next one in July) about dementia if you are interested and have the time (probably not with 2 small children but the link is below just in case). You can learn an awful lot from this forum though.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome from me too @colacube you've come to the right place for friendly support and advice so keep posting.
You might find this carer's guide helpful as it contains lots of good information including benefits, financial (LPA), planning ahead and sources of support, although don't assume that you are responsible for the caring role (especially with 2 young children) as there is other help available if your MIL needs it:

colacube

Apr 5, 2021
Ahh, thanks so much everyone for your kind & helpful replies. The LPA is pretty much sorted. I've actually ordered quite a few leaflets from alzheimer's UK and they are really useful. It just seems to be happening quickly and even from January things have accelerated so much ?

My cousin was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and I remember his 'plan' for treatment and the subsequent plans for if that plan didn't work. This feels nothing like that - like we have been handed a bombshell and have very little we can do ... sorry that probably makes no sense! Guess I just feel totally powerless and Just wish it wasn't happening.

KatFox

Apr 7, 2021
Hi @colacube
Ahh, thanks so much everyone for your kind & helpful replies. The LPA is pretty much sorted. I've actually ordered quite a few leaflets from alzheimer's UK and they are really useful. It just seems to be happening quickly and even from January things have accelerated so much ?

My cousin was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and I remember his 'plan' for treatment and the subsequent plans for if that plan didn't work. This feels nothing like that - like we have been handed a bombshell and have very little we can do ... sorry that probably makes no sense! Guess I just feel totally powerless and Just wish it wasn't happening.
Hi there - I'm a newbie too. Mum got her diagnosis just a month ago - and doesn't really understand her condition so I don't bring it up. The first thing I realised is I needed to change my behaviour - it's more important that my mum isn't distressed - much more important than me constantly reminding her she's wrong. I've also tried to 'electrify' her house (sounds dangerous) with alexa plugs and timers - so I can control things remotely if she needs support. Its really scary tho - she's 350 miles away and lives alone - bro pops in once a week. I worry about the 16 tablets she takes a day (or not takes) and about her future knowing she's never going to get better...so I totally understand and I'm sending you a huge hug in support xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
just to say hello @KatFox and offer a warm welcome to DTP

now you've joined us, keep posting with anything that's on your mind