I just need to rant

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
It's appalling, isn't it? The main source of infection in care homes is due to people coming and going, whether that is carers, medics or visitors. But visitors are seemingly hosed down with bleach for half an hour and have to stay behind a brick wall so they are unlikely to be bringing in much. (And very often visitors are extremely careful with social distancing themselves, meticulous about hand washing, etc, or even shielding, so again, unlikely to be much of a threat.)

I would like to see evidence of one person - just one - who has caught covid from an under-quarantined cake.
Hi At Mum's CH they used to bake a cake for each resident when it was their birthday complete with at least one candle. Pre Covid they would all sing Happy Birthday. Luckily I have a video of Mum blowing out the candles on her cake with help from a friend on the same table.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I totally agree with you. This has shaken my faith badly in the system from so many angles. Heard last night that my mum has sustained another fall, on only her third full day at the home. She didn’t have a fall at all in hospital where she was for the previous three weeks.. Four serious falls in two weeks in her previous home from which SS removed her. Another case of under supervision during yet another enforced isolation,
so many questions but sadly no answers yet
In defence of care homes, yes, they are short staffed, but falls happen anyway. My mum was in the corridor, talking to a carer. Another resident walked up, stuck her hand out and pushed mum.... who went down on her bottom and broke her hip. The carer was right there but it wasn't possible to prevent the incident or stop mum falling. And old ladies break very easily.

I'm not saying it wasn't the care home's fault that your mum fell, but there are never enough staff to stand over every resident at every moment. People can fall just getting up from a chair or their legs suddenly go whilst walking. Unfortunately, dementia does affect mobility. Mum recovered from her broken hip and thereafter walked with a frame. She was reasonably stable but things became more difficult when she 'forgot' the process of moving from chair to bed or from walking to sitting - she couldn't remember how to sit herself on the toilet for example.

As your mum is clearly a 'falls risk' now it would be worth speaking to the home about what measures they are putting in place to (try to) prevent further accidents - they should have a proper plan for this. If they haven't, look for a new place.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
In defence of care homes, yes, they are short staffed, but falls happen anyway. My mum was in the corridor, talking to a carer. Another resident walked up, stuck her hand out and pushed mum.... who went down on her bottom and broke her hip. The carer was right there but it wasn't possible to prevent the incident or stop mum falling. And old ladies break very easily.

I'm not saying it wasn't the care home's fault that your mum fell, but there are never enough staff to stand over every resident at every moment. People can fall just getting up from a chair or their legs suddenly go whilst walking. Unfortunately, dementia does affect mobility. Mum recovered from her broken hip and thereafter walked with a frame. She was reasonably stable but things became more difficult when she 'forgot' the process of moving from chair to bed or from walking to sitting - she couldn't remember how to sit herself on the toilet for example.

As your mum is clearly a 'falls risk' now it would be worth speaking to the home about what measures they are putting in place to (try to) prevent further accidents - they should have a proper plan for this. If they haven't, look for a new place.
Mum is definitely a falls risk and this was the third home approached with the information of the level of supervision she needed to be safe. The first two turned her down as they were unable to provide the level of supervision needed. This one assured us that they had superior staffing levels and were “equal to the task”.
This ongoing issue seems to be related to COVID isolation as the staff are in the day rooms supervising the other residents and rely on the occasional head in the door to make sure she is still ok.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
This makes me fume im sorry but what about all the care staff that bought in covid into homes
What about supermarket food are they quarantining that
Thats mean and nasty of them id write to the ceo head office this homes id also complain to home manager and complain about the carer why could she not spray it ? Why wasnt you informed of no present quarantine rule they must of known you were bringing items in ?
Id be angry again this is why im keeping my dad at home because i think my temper would not be able to deal with these people id be banned from visiting

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
This makes me fume im sorry but what about all the care staff that bought in covid into homes
What about supermarket food are they quarantining that
Thats mean and nasty of them id write to the ceo head office this homes id also complain to home manager and complain about the carer why could she not spray it ? Why wasnt you informed of no present quarantine rule they must of known you were bringing items in ?
Id be angry again this is why im keeping my dad at home because i think my temper would not be able to deal with these people id be banned from visiting
I genuinely think home is the best place if there is any way around it.
I will regret letting my mum go into care and will do so for the rest of my life. I have terrible guilt about this happening ( see other posts of mine to confirm why,it’s not over a box of chocolates) and had made a pact with myself not to let her go back to hospital but when she broke her hip I had no option as she needed surgery. We live in an inhumane world now with the majority of medical and care staffhiding behind the demon COVID. Al credit to those who are not like this but these people normally have no authority to change things

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I genuinely think home is the best place if there is any way around it.
I will regret letting my mum go into care and will do so for the rest of my life. I have terrible guilt about this happening ( see other posts of mine to confirm why,it’s not over a box of chocolates) and had made a pact with myself not to let her go back to hospital but when she broke her hip I had no option as she needed surgery. We live in an inhumane world now with the majority of medical and care staffhiding behind the demon COVID. Al credit to those who are not like this but these people normally have no authority to change things
I know its so hard my dads only 73 still possibly got yrs ahead i dread it times coming soon for care home ive been caring for him for 3 yrs gave my life up social life live life home every thing sanity going now i think i keep hoking ill be sectioned along with him not just because my living situation and hes behaviour but lots of problems now all the time dreading it i know ill be banned for life i just wouldn't able to be polite all the time

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
I know its so hard my dads only 73 still possibly got yrs ahead i dread it times coming soon for care home ive been caring for him for 3 yrs gave my life up social life live life home every thing sanity going now i think i keep hoking ill be sectioned along with him not just because my living situation and hes behaviour but lots of problems now all the time dreading it i know ill be banned for life i just wouldn't able to be polite all the time
I so feel your pain. There seems to be no good answer to thesituation a lot of us find ourselvesin

HardToLetGo

Oct 10, 2020
I so feel your pain. There seems to be no good answer to thesituation a lot of us find ourselvesin
Completely agree, there is no middle way is there? Feel your pain, hope the situation improves, falling is horrible sounds like a tactful 1 2 1 needed while within the 14 days. This forum has been a sanity saver for me for the last six months, others in the same position understanding helps?

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Completely agree, there is no middle way is there? Feel your pain, hope the situation improves, falling is horrible sounds like a tactful 1 2 1 needed while within the 14 days. This forum has been a sanity saver for me for the last six months, others in the same position understanding helps?
This forum got me through some horrendous times with my dad which says it all about why I am back here with my mum. COVID has made things so much harder to deal with but with the people on here they understand and are living through it too.

Shirlthewhirl

Jan 7, 2021
My dad ended up in a care home last year. Having not experirnced 'normal' care home regime, i have found it incredibly frustrating how bad the communication from them has been. I have given the benefit of the doubt every time in that these are not normal times and care homes have to protect their residents as a priority and that comms will always be lower down on the list but its so annoying that a simple email could prevent umpteen calls to the home asking the same questions. Also, its great that 2 people can now visit indoors after lateral flow test but even though the guidance says family and friends can visit in a covid secure way outside dads care home are not allowing anyone else to visit other than the 2 family designated. I find this crazy as residents have now had 2 jabs and outdoors is better. Last year dads 2 grown up grandchildren could see him in the garden but now they can't. Agree with the frustrations over quarantine of toiletries, magazines, food etc surely a antibac wipe wipe would suffice now. Still no flowers accepted there either. Seems the bigger chain care homes are being exceptionally risk averse and are being very slow to make any changes regardless of govt guidelines. I fear for mid june when if all well all rules will be relaxed that care homes still won't budge much and that will be dreadful for us all especially when most of us will have had both vaccines too. Residents and their families have lost far too much previous time already?.

Last edited: