Covid affecting my dad with Alzheimer's

MeganLouise99

Mar 27, 2021
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's 8 years ago now. He is in a care home and because of covid I haven't seen him properly in a year and the isolation has caused him to deteriorate massively. It is really hard and I miss him so much. I am a student nurse living in London so I am about an hour away from him too. It was his birthday 2 days ago and me and my siblings facetimed him while he opened the presents we sent, it was so lovely to see him but made me feel so sad that I wasn't there to make him feel special on his birthday.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome from me too @MeganLouise99 I understand how you are feeling as my mum is in a care home and I haven't been able to visit on her birthday, christmas or mother's day - all the special days that she should be with her family. Facetime just isn't the same, and is not good for my mum, but I'm hoping that as the restrictions reduce the visiting situation may get better. You are not alone as there are quite a few here who are in a similar position so please keep posting as it helps to share how you are feeling with others who understand.

MeganLouise99

Mar 27, 2021
Welcome from me too @MeganLouise99 I understand how you are feeling as my mum is in a care home and I haven't been able to visit on her birthday, christmas or mother's day - all the special days that she should be with her family. Facetime just isn't the same, and is not good for my mum, but I'm hoping that as the restrictions reduce the visiting situation may get better. You are not alone as there are quite a few here who are in a similar position so please keep posting as it helps to share how you are feeling with others who understand.
Thank you. Yes I hope restrictions will continue to lift so we both can see are parents and have a well deserved hug and catch up with them. This year has been truly awful.

Misedo

Mar 3, 2021
This virus really messed up a lot of things. I wish your father all the best, everything will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife