'carer' vaccine

Crazycatlady01

Aug 22, 2020
Hi, I need advice!
My mum has dementia, my Dad cares for her full time, we haven't had an actually diagnosis but GP , memory clinic are involved and she has had tests. She's quite advanced and can't do anything on her own, can not be left it's 24/7 care.
Anyway after a year in lock down my dad is really struggling and recently tried to arrange emergency rest bite. (I'm a teacher , my sisters a nurse and we have young families). There was no availability for rest bite and I'm reluctant to be inside the house with her until I have my vaccine. Anyway he's really struggling and although I'm not the main carer he needs help but working in a school I still feel there is risk so I've been keeping my distance.
I know as a carer you can book a vaccine. I want to know can I book a vaccine ? We're desperate and I just want to help my dad . I feel if I can have my first vaccine it will give us more protection.
I have found it so helpful being part of this forum its so reassuring to know I'm not alone so thank you in advance .x

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi, I need advice!
My mum has dementia, my Dad cares for her full time, we haven't had an actually diagnosis but GP , memory clinic are involved and she has had tests. She's quite advanced and can't do anything on her own, can not be left it's 24/7 care.
Anyway after a year in lock down my dad is really struggling and recently tried to arrange emergency rest bite. (I'm a teacher , my sisters a nurse and we have young families). There was no availability for rest bite and I'm reluctant to be inside the house with her until I have my vaccine. Anyway he's really struggling and although I'm not the main carer he needs help but working in a school I still feel there is risk so I've been keeping my distance.
I know as a carer you can book a vaccine. I want to know can I book a vaccine ? We're desperate and I just want to help my dad . I feel if I can have my first vaccine it will give us more protection.
I have found it so helpful being part of this forum its so reassuring to know I'm not alone so thank you in advance .x
teachers should be getting it. my son and his wife are both secondary school teachers in kent and had their first last saturday. my son is 32 and his wife is 35

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There are two routes to getting a jab
  • National where the relevant requirement, assuming you are aged less than 50, is 'you are a main carer for someone at high risk from coronavirus'. This would be at one of the main hubs which could be some distance from you.
  • Local, you ask your GP. If they agree the jab will be local.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I wonder if your son and daughter in law have either underlying health reasons or classed as carers @jennifer1967 ? I I don't think being a teacher is classed as a priority group, unless teaching vulnerable children at a special school? I have many teacher friends who are over 40, but they have to wait until their age group is called for the vaccine.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I wonder if your son and daughter in law have either underlying health reasons or classed as carers @jennifer1967 ? I I don't think being a teacher is classed as a priority group, unless teaching vulnerable children at a special school? I have many teacher friends who are over 40, but they have to wait until their age group is called for the vaccine.
sorry my son and his wife are both in their 30s so not sure how they were done. whether its just where they live in kent

Crazycatlady01

Aug 22, 2020
Thank you for your comments , no being a teacher is not a priority my issue really is no respite care is available and I want to help my dad but I feel I’m putting her more at risk without being vaccinated. Thanks

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
If you teach special needs children, which many teachers do, you can get it.
A lot of vaccination centres were exploiting that loophole last week.