Reporting Coercive Control

J0anne

Dec 15, 2020
Mum's carer has used co-ercive control by brainwashing Mum with many lies about me during the past 3 years.

Mum is now in a care home with Alzheimer's and the LPA has lied to the care home to try to keep me away. This has been proved already by my solicitor.

The LPA also told me that she suspected my brother of brainwashing Mum for years. I still have this dialogue.

I just received a copy of Mum's care notes and in there is a statement that I have committed financial abuse towards Mum. I believe Mum's carer suggested this and it isn't true. However I did ask Mum's sister to check Mum's finances, which she did in 2018 and she said everything was alright. I can prove this too.

1- Is this enough information to go to the police to report the co-ercive control?

2- Mum is being cared for with an Alzheimer's diagnosis. Should I point out the brainwashing to the care home and would it benefit Mum's care and any help she is receiving?

Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If you really feel wronged @JOoanne then do seek advice from the police.

I would advise you against reporting anything to the care home. It might affect your access to your mum.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you can show the LPA holder was acting wrongly, then it's for the Office of the Public Guardian/Court of Protection, to deal with. But don't expect a quick reaction.

Bod

J0anne

Dec 15, 2020
If you can show the LPA holder was acting wrongly, then it's for the Office of the Public Guardian/Court of Protection, to deal with. But don't expect a quick reaction.

Bod
Thank you. I am already in a dialogue with them. I will call them today before I raise the issue.