Dad getting bigger and boreddd!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
At dads today. He has developed grunting all the time now when eating. I know it is also to do with his breathing. The doctor is going to increase his Lisinopril but cannot do any more, Dad doesn’t bother to shave anymore and is looking like “Steptoe” of Steptoe and son. His hair is getting long as he is refusing it to be cut by me with a clipper. He is eating a lot with me but not with the carers. He is not drinking a lot without prompting. His stomach is getting quite big now. I think he has put on weight since last week. You can see his stomach now under his apron whereas I didn’t notice it so much last week.He is not even interested in the tv much now and has developed a habit of clock watching.He cannot wait to get to bed these days.He would eat all day if you let him. His getting up from the recliner is not great neither is his walking,

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Oh dear; I was going to say let him have what he wanted to eat but I suppose that makes it more difficult for him to move? He Will get some fluid from what he eats...more worry for you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Does your dad sleep well @TNJJ? I often think sleep is an escape for those who can. If your dad has lost interest in everything except food, perhaps sleep is the safest bet.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Does your dad sleep well @TNJJ? I often think sleep is an escape for those who can. If your dad has lost interest in everything except food, perhaps sleep is the safest bet.
No I don’t think he does. I’m only guessing as he has no overnight care(needs it in the sense of someone being there) but cannot get out as he is in the hospital bed. He dozes most of the day now tbh.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Oh dear; I was going to say let him have what he wanted to eat but I suppose that makes it more difficult for him to move? He Will get some fluid from what he eats...more worry for you
I let him eat whatever within reason. Sometimes I have to remind him he has eaten or he will eat again. I think his stomach expansion is food and retaining the fluid from the body..

LeahDarm

Mar 2, 2021
Have you looked at other things to keep him entertained? Even something small like chewing gum instead of food or something to play with, with his hands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan