Carer refusing vaccination!

Zandie

Mar 16, 2020
My mum has Alzheimer’s and was diagnosed in June of last year. my husband and I have managed to care for her up until now but my husband works away from home so the daily cares are left to me and I am feeling the strain ! We have organised with a care company for mum to have a carer pop in on her every morning (to start off with) to try and give her some structure to her day as I work and can only see mum after I finish work.
I have been told by the care company manager that the carer who has been allocated to mum has refused the vaccination as she just doesn’t believe in them ! Obviously she would be wearing PPE on her visits but I am wondering whether I should say I want a carer who has been vaccinated ? I am really not sure about this ??

Penelope Pitstop

Feb 17, 2020
I think I would. I would be permanently worried about it otherwise. I see it as a condition of their job. How would they feel if the gave it to one of their clients.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I would refuse point blank any carer who had no intention of having the vaccine. It’s people like that who can spread Covid to the vulnerable. Has she had flu jab? Or the childhood jabs?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree, insist any carers allocated to your mum have been vaccinated. With the agency, hopefully not, you may come up against the rights of the carer to choose but it is not her right to put a vulnerable person in her care at risk, even if your mum has had the jab. Be assertive, I cannot understand anyone in the caring profession not understanding it is to keep them safe but most importantly their clients

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has carers and they have all had their jab. I wouldnt be happy to have someone in who hasnt been vaccinated, especially when things start to open up. Yes that carer has a right to refuse vaccination, but you also have a right to refuse to have her come.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they have been doing a campaign in other languages as its mainly BAME that are having difficulties with accepting it and their culture. there has been false information that it contains meat products and other things. it doesnt and is not a live vaccine as well. i suppose its hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. wish people would stick to the truth or shut up then they could base the decision on facts rather than fiction.
i wouldnt have an unvaccinated carer looking after someone whose vulnerable. if you are paying for it, dont you have a choice?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Refusing the vaccines suggests she doesnt think its a problem- would she then use PPE? I doubt it.

I wouldnt have her, or the company generally if they dont share your concerns.

Those that have been vaccinated have a card, ask to see it

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I would refuse to have this carer. TBH, I would be worried about the mindset of someone who 'doesn't believe in the vaccine'. I couldn't get on with a person like that and we would fall out! I'd be wondering what other fake news she believed...

850 norton

Dec 1, 2017
I am wondering whether I should say I want a carer who has been vaccinated ? I am really not sure about this ??
Rather interesting question.
At the moment according to the govt.
.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-easy-read-resources/information-on-covid-19-vaccination-easy-read-guide
Having the vaccine makes you less likely to get very ill from coronavirus, we do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus & the vaccine doesn’t completely stop everyone getting coronavirus. So you still need to, wear a face mask, wash your hands carefully Ect.
According to the CDC;
.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html#mask
After vaccination we still recommend weaing a mask to help prevent the spread of the virus.
So the general concensus of opinion amongst experts is people can still spread and even develop COVID-19 after getting a vaccine. Source;
.healthline.com/health-news/you-can-still-spread-develop-covid-19-after-getting-a-vaccine-what-to-know
My conclusion is, any fears of any unvaccinated person are unfounded, especially if the unvaccinated person is a trained carer following all the correct sanitizing and mask protocols.
To get the links to work put httpwww. at the start. Apparantley new members (less than 10 posts) aren't allowed to post links!!!!!!!!!!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I am aware that the vaccine has not been tested for 'carriers' etc but we don't worry about that with other vaccines so I fear this is a bit of a red herring which has been exaggerated.

Personally I would be asking for a different carer if one refused to have this COVID vaccine and I would do the same for the flu vaccine unless there was an immune issue or egg allergy for example which could prevent carers having them.

i really hope this has never happened, but I can't help thinking, if they don't believe in vaccines what else do they not believe in? Will they refuse to administer medication? Where's the line?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
While it is true that you can still get covid even with getting the vaccine and that recommendations are that even after you have had the vaccine you should still take precautions, I would like to point out that PPE, proper sanitisation procedures and regular tests for covid will not completely eliminate the risks of covid either. Nothing will completely eliminate the risk, but the more things that are put in place to minimise the risk, the less likely it will be. Having the vaccine will reduce the risks further and this will become even more important once things start opening up again.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Because these injections (theyre not traditionl vaccines) are still in early stages and are still being evaluated, alot of people are anxious about any long term implications especially if they are younger. People who are nearer the end of their lives maybe have less to worry about in this regard. There has been a huge amount of unusual scientific advice being put in the public domain which has created a degree of hysteria. I think everyone is still entitled (as they always were) to make their own choices about what medical interventions they accept without fear of being judged/criticised. If the jabs are as effective as we are being led to believe, and if the carer concerned, is happy to take other measures (ppe etc) I don't see why there would be a risk, but the scientists seem to be playing down this angle in order to encourage as many people as possible to agree to having the jab. I believe some common sense needs to be applied!

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Having spent best part of a year keeping Mum safe, barely seeing my family, giving up work and pretty much going without Christmas, I would NOT be prepared to let an unvaccinated carer set foot through her door.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Because these injections (theyre not traditionl vaccines) are still in early stages and are still being evaluated, alot of people are anxious about any long term implications especially if they are younger. People who are nearer the end of their lives maybe have less to worry about in this regard. There has been a huge amount of unusual scientific advice being put in the public domain which has created a degree of hysteria. I think everyone is still entitled (as they always were) to make their own choices about what medical interventions they accept without fear of being judged/criticised. If the jabs are as effective as we are being led to believe, and if the carer concerned, is happy to take other measures (ppe etc) I don't see why there would be a risk, but the scientists seem to be playing down this angle in order to encourage as many people as possible to agree to having the jab. I believe some common sense needs to be applied!
I don't know exactly what you mean by early stages - if you mean they've not been tested properly, I disagree. If you mean they are new and mRNA is a new technology and these vaccines haven't been around for as long as say polio or smallpox, yes that's true, but doesn't mean they will be found to be harmful.
There's also a lot of false information out there e.g. an autism link to MMR.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
I recognise and respect the anxiety about vaccination, also as it is not mandatory it makes it a difficult and grey area. So people will need to call on their morals and conscience. Medical professionals are required to have a standard set before being allowed to practice. I would not want to be treated by a nurse or doctor who did not have the HEP B, A, MMR, TB screening etc. Equally I believe that if you wish to be an employed carer, you have a duty of care to protect those you care for, not taking precaution is putting the cared for at risk intentionally. As well as yourself.

Zandie

Mar 16, 2020
Thank you all for your comments. I have contacted the care company and advised them that I don’t want an unvaccinated carer near my mum. It just doesn’t sit right with me or my family!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenSp