Medication for delusion and paranoia

MrsBarrett

Jan 17, 2021
Hi

I am caring for my father who suffered a stroke in 2019 and has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and early signs of Alzheimer's. He was given Trazadone for his anxious behaviour which seemed to have worked but increasing the dosage resulted him falling over and sleeping alot. Due to his increased falls and lack of coordination he is back on the minimum dose. He has started to experience more paranoia and delusions mostly about his close friends who he believes are saying nasty things about him. Now he's targeting my mother. I have tried deflection, sympathy and reasoning all of which have failed. Since he's stroke patient I dont know what anti-psychotic drugs can be given to my father which doesn't put him at risk of another stroke and conflicts with his already long list of existing drugs. Has anyone experienced this fine balance ? Thank you.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
My mother has vascular dementia and has often been very aggressive, paranoid occasionally violent. We found a low dose of Mirtazapine very beneficial for anxiety and agitation.

Mum had been on Trazadone for a short while but she was either fast asleep or very agitated, so it was stopped.

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
My Mum has a part vascular diagnosis she's not taking any medication only a few things like aspirin, and a gliptin for diabetes plus recently melatonin I had to ask the gp for that one but I don't give it every night plus a low grade prophylaxis antibiotic. I was wondering if your Dad may have a UTI they can cause a change in behaviour. Please speak to the gp about your concerns another very helpful place to ring is Admiral Nurses 0800 888 6678.

MrsBarrett

Jan 17, 2021
My Mum has a part vascular diagnosis she's not taking any medication only a few things like aspirin, and a gliptin for diabetes plus recently melatonin I had to ask the gp for that one but I don't give it every night plus a low grade prophylaxis antibiotic. I was wondering if your Dad may have a UTI they can cause a change in behaviour. Please speak to the gp about your concerns another very helpful place to ring is Admiral Nurses 0800 888 6678.
Thank you the GP is taking blood tests and a urine sample and we are waiting to hear. Dad has calmed down literally the next day but waiting for the next episode. It is hard to predict right now. How helpful are the nurses as i know Dad is very suspicious of new faces coming to assess him. Would they help the carers instead?

MrsBarrett

Jan 17, 2021
My mother has vascular dementia and has often been very aggressive, paranoid occasionally violent. We found a low dose of Mirtazapine very beneficial for anxiety and agitation.

Mum had been on Trazadone for a short while but she was either fast asleep or very agitated, so it was stopped.
thank you for your help

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Thank you the GP is taking blood tests and a urine sample and we are waiting to hear. Dad has calmed down literally the next day but waiting for the next episode. It is hard to predict right now. How helpful are the nurses as i know Dad is very suspicious of new faces coming to assess him. Would they help the carers instead?
@MrsBarrett unless you say it as it is unfortunately the likelihood is not if you are finding it tough perhaps consider seeking support for yourself it's not easy for any of us on this journey just remember take a step back and always be kind to yourself

Elantra_Ash

Jan 30, 2021
Gosh I can sympathize. It’s a living nightmare when your parent has vascular dementia with behavioural disorders. My dad has vascular dementia and is being given risperodone in pill form twice daily plus a bi weekly injection. This is what has helped his behavioural aggressiveness towards mom significantly.