Repatriation to UK - where to start once arrived!

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Hello, I am new to this group. My father-in-law is currently on his way to the UK, having reached a crisis in France where he has lived alone for about 5 years. Until a cry for help from a neighbour we knew nothing, other than his memory was a little poor. In the past week, we have found out that 8 months ago he visited a memory clinic and was diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer's. Sadly a 'helpful' neighbour has been selective with the truth and we have had reports that he is doing v well etc when in fact this man has been taking over - including banking etc.
My husband is currently collecting him and after two days together is getting a measure of how he is. He's terribly confused, communicating is very difficult and he's not remembering to eat etc. We've now got our hands on the memory clinic report which states he needs constant care. He will need to isolate at our house, but we have no space, no spare bed, three kids homeschooling and two of us working from home.
All I have planned so far is a GP telephone apt but not sure what I can do to make any further plans??
We all feel (him included) that a return to France is impossible - he is adamant not to end up in care there and he doesn't speak the language and lives in the middle of nowhere.
However, I would love some advice about how we know what the best next step is for him? Do we rent him a place and get care arranged? Or a residential home? The LA told me today that he won't be priority as he will be safe in our home. We have no idea if he has any money as 'helpful' neighbour has been managing his finances. Any advice please, I am really concerned how we are going to cope! Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Reading through
should answer several of your questions.

Currently
also applies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @cejm. Welcome to Talking Point.

I think you will need to take one step at a time.

Your father in law isn`t with you yet and will have to self isolate for a start. Once you have him with you you will be able to assess how much care he will need, bearing in mind he may be confused and disorientated after the journey and relocating.

Perhaps the best step is to get an assessment for him here from Social Services as a vulnerable adult.

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Thank you for your reply. He arrives today, for self isolation with us. SS have already told me he 'won't be a priority' as he will be safe in our home and there are people with greater needs. I do understand that, but he'll be on the sofa bed in our office. I've been told that it's likely that his needs assessment will look along the lines of someone popping in once or twice a day, rather than residential care. Obviously we want him to be happy and will do whatever it takes. However, to rent him a place to live and pay for care is going to be difficult for us. It's all such a mess as we don't know and can't find out if he has any money until we have POA and not even sure we can get it yet, we might have to apply for deputyship.
I hope that after a few days with him we will know what's best, but I am worried about him being here and us not being to give him the care he needs.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @cejm

As @Grannie G says take things one day at a time. Remember to consider everyone’s needs, not just your FILs. Perhaps let the children’s schools know that there may be some disruption while things are sorted out, and your work too.

The LA may consider your FIL not to be a priority when it comes to a care placement but I think you can argue against that. It sounds as though you don’t have room for him to stay with you in the longer term and it’s certainly not going to be good for your family. Your well-being and that or your children should also be a consideration for the LA.

From what you’ve said I think your FIL will need residential care rather than a place of his own. I would insist on a proper assessment once you’ve got him home.

Let us know how you get on.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If financially possible, an immediate Care Home placement, is the best way to get him fully assessed, and cared for.
Failing that, a strict routine for the entire household, PWDs do best with routine, and cannot cope with chaos!
You are in for a very difficult time.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do remember that you can contact SS in an emergency and, if they agree that it is an emergency, they have the power to arrange imeadiate residential placement.

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Thank you so much for your kind words. I think we feel so guilty, uprooting him from his home and also neglectful perhaps over the past year. However, this 'friend' told us exactly what we wanted to hear whenever he chose to make contact. He also took FIL's laptop (along with ID etc) away, so we were only contacting via him. Seems obvious to me now, but we were so grateful for his 'kindness'.
I have spoken to a local dementia residential home (outstanding cqc) who are being so helpful. They have LA beds, offer respite etc. He suggested asking LA for a Discharge to Assess placement there, and to be adamant that's where we want. I am thinking even if we self fund initially, we could have him there after isolation while we try to sort out his affairs, get a grip of his finances, sell his French house etc. I am very grateful for this support, it's a steep learning curve at a difficult time. Thank you so much everyone,

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Without sounding off as a French resident, is he entitled to come back and take a LA bed?

How long did he live in France?

if he has a property , he will presumably be self funding anyway

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
sell his French house
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are in a difficult position.

We moved to France twenty odd years ago, then on a holiday back in the UK in 2018 my wife (PWD) became ill and we rented a house for six months to allow time for my wife to get better. Social Services got involved and said they would not allow her to return to our home in France (unless we could provide proof of support first - catch 22).

Anyway the problem has been selling the French house, it is has been on market all the time but with Brexit and covid the chances of selling are slim.

Social services have been very helpful but the main issue has been finance. The house is France is taken as being a asset which can be turned into cash, there is no allowance for not being able to sell the property. If your Father in law has limited savings and income then apply for pension credit. They will allow it if the house is on the market for sale.

Unfortunately he can't claim attendance allowance until he has been back in the UK for two years, which is a vast sum of money missed!

My advice is to seek advice, Age UK was very helpful for us, completed all the forms etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Anyway the problem has been selling the French house, it is has been on market all the time but with Brexit and covid the chances of selling are slim.

Depending on type of property and location, have you tried advertising in other EU countries - Germany, Holland....?

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Without sounding off as a French resident, is he entitled to come back and take a LA bed?

How long did he live in France?

if he has a property , he will presumably be self funding anyway
Hi, he is a UK national and was only resident in France for 7 years, so I would hope so since he paid his taxes etc here and was in the UK for 71 years!?

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are in a difficult position.

We moved to France twenty odd years ago, then on a holiday back in the UK in 2018 my wife (PWD) became ill and we rented a house for six months to allow time for my wife to get better. Social Services got involved and said they would not allow her to return to our home in France (unless we could provide proof of support first - catch 22).

Social services have been very helpful but the main issue has been finance. The house is France is taken as being a asset which can be turned into cash, there is no allowance for not being able to sell the property. If your Father in law has limited savings and income then apply for pension credit. They will allow it if the house is on the market for sale.

Unfortunately he can't claim attendance allowance until he has been back in the UK for two years, which is a vast sum of money missed!

My advice is to seek advice, Age UK was very helpful for us, completed all the forms etc.
Thank you for your advice, I was aware of the Attendance Allowance issue and I think he already gets pension credit but I will check when we get access to accounts. I don't see him returning to France is an option really (as much as he says he likes it there) - not wanting to bad mouth the French at all as I know the health service is very good. However we have really struggled with communicating to everyone concerned in France our concerns about this individual taking over. Even yesterday someone contacted him asking for a signature! The memory report taken in June 2020 raising grave concerns was only given to us last week because we demanded medical records. When I asked why it wasn't shared with the next of kin (when it advised that family should be informed immediately since he was so at risk), the doctor asked me 'Why didn't you ask for it?' We would have asked if we had known he was having tests!!!!! I will try Age UK many thanks

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Hi, he is a UK national and was only resident in France for 7 years, so I would hope so since he paid his taxes etc here and was in the UK for 71 years!?
And yes I agree he would be self funding. Thank you

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I think you need to check your fathers eligibility for any support. My son, a UK citizen who has lived in the US for seven years is not eligible for any support ( financial ) if he returns back to the UK as he has lived abroad for more than five years.

I assume your father receives a UK pension and possibility pays UK taxes on it which might make things different.

I hope you manage to get things sorted out soon, I suggest you start with getting POA set up if your dad has capacity but you might need to use a solicitor as otherwise you might not be able to find a witness locally. Without POA it will be very difficult, we were asked many times by SS if we had POA when we were arranging for mum to move to a care home.

cejm

Jan 22, 2021
Depending on type of property and location, have you tried advertising in other EU countries - Germany, Holland....?
I think you need to check your fathers eligibility for any support. My son, a UK citizen who has lived in the US for seven years is not eligible for any support ( financial ) if he returns back to the UK as he has lived abroad for more than five years.

I assume your father receives a UK pension and possibility pays UK taxes on it which might make things different.

I hope you manage to get things sorted out soon, I suggest you start with getting POA set up if your dad has capacity but you might need to use a solicitor as otherwise you might not be able to find a witness locally. Without POA it will be very difficult, we were asked many times by SS if we had POA when we were arranging for mum to move to a care home.
Thank you. We are trying to organise the POA although whether it's too late I am not sure. It's interesting what you say about your son. He does pay UK taxes etc so fingers crossed he will be OK.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thank you. We are trying to organise the POA although whether it's too late I am not sure. It's interesting what you say about your son. He does pay UK taxes etc so fingers crossed he will be OK.
I think it’s because my son has not contributed through tax or NI that he would not be entitled to Universal Credit or help with housing - indeed why should he! He was faced with the possibility of being deported if found guilty of a criminal accusation made by his ex wife at the end of a very toxic divorce ( long story) But luckily he was found not guilty on either count and his ex was fined for making a false statement so now he can stay there, in his job and support his children.

But your father is in a different situation so hopefully you will get some support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson