Medicines to help Alzheimer’s disease

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Has anyone experienced an improvement in their own or love one’s Alzheimers when taking medication for it and if yes how long did it take to see an improvement Please.
My mum got an official diagnosis today but has been deteriorating for a while now. She is in hospital with a broken hip and has been started on medication to help the Alzheimer’s and I am wondering what to expect in turns of progress, staying steady at this stage or decline. I know that no one knows as each person is unique but I want to find my feet a bit as I am reeling.
My dad died of vascular dementia four years but my mum is significantly different in all ways to him.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Mum was on Donepezil for a few months. Did it make an improvement ? No - but I'm not sure that it is supposed to, rather it may slow progression. But that is something very difficult to measure, given the random nature of dementia. We stopped it because of side effects, and there was no noticeable difference one way or the other. Mum now takes anti depressant / anxiety medications, which manage the worst of her behaviours.

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
My Mum was on donepezil beginning of last year it was awful she had no motivation and we were throwing meals she was only on it a couple of weeks she was then offered a patch of a different medication she didn't commence it due to having recurring utis she's now got a prophylaxis antibiotic for this she's not on anti depressants or anything just regular medication for diabetes and an aspirin.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was on the different meds as her illness lasted over 15 years. I found that the meds helped with her moods more than anything, which was very important.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Thank you all so much for your comments. There is nothing more valuable than hearing from the people who have found themselves in the sitauation,

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
Thank you all so much for your comments. There is nothing more valuable than hearing from the people who have found themselves in the sitauation,
You're welcome can you maybe talk to the geriatrician at the hospital to find out what their giving her just to put your mind at rest ?

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
You're welcome can you maybe talk to the geriatrician at the hospital to find out what their giving her just to put your mind at rest ?
We would love to speak to someone but we aren’t allowed in the hospital because of COVID and the doctors are ” rushed off their feet” according to the ward sister so will not speak to us. My sister spoke to a junior doctor this morning, the first time we have had contact with a doctor since being told 11 days ago that Mum needed surgery. Tricky negotiating the system atm

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
We would love to speak to someone but we aren’t allowed in the hospital because of COVID and the doctors are ” rushed off their feet” according to the ward sister so will not speak to us. My sister spoke to a junior doctor this morning, the first time we have had contact with a doctor since being told 11 days ago that Mum needed surgery. Tricky negotiating the system atm
You could contact the patient liaison or pals team at the hospital tomorrow morning telephone number will be on their website just be frank with them

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Whatever the medicine immediate/short term progression is going to be affected by the hip injury and hospital stay, it will take longer for any beneficial effect to be noticed.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
You could contact the patient liaison or pals team at the hospital tomorrow morning telephone number will be on their website just be frank with them
I have done that but they refuse to talk to me as they will only deal with one member of the family due to COVID. They have passed my concerns to my eldest sister to action if she sees fit. She is more inclined to take a more passive route in case it affects my mum’s care. COVID has a lot to answer in my health authority as it is the source of all refusals to act, talk or communicate. I wonder if it’s this way in all authorities

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
I have done that but they refuse to talk to me as they will only deal with one member of the family due to COVID. They have passed my concerns to my eldest sister to action if she sees fit. She is more inclined to take a more passive route in case it affects my mum’s care. COVID has a lot to answer in my health authority as it is the source of all refusals to act, talk or communicate. I wonder if it’s this way in all authorities
Could be due to her being nok. You can always contact the CQC and ask them for advice

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Can I also throw delirium into the mix here? Your mum has 2 classic triggers - a hip fracture and dementia. Has anyone from the hospital discussed this with you (or your sister), as it's important to know what her 'normal' is. Take a look at Royal Society of Psychiatrists guidelines on delirium, and check that the hospital are considering it as a contributary factor in her confusion.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Can I also throw delirium into the mix here? Your mum has 2 classic triggers - a hip fracture and dementia. Has anyone from the hospital discussed this with you (or your sister), as it's important to know what her 'normal' is. Take a look at Royal Society of Psychiatrists guidelines on delirium, and check that the hospital are considering it as a contributary factor in her confusion.
Thanks will do

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Has anyone experienced an improvement in their own or love one’s Alzheimers when taking medication for it and if yes how long did it take to see an improvement Please.
My mum got an official diagnosis today but has been deteriorating for a while now. She is in hospital with a broken hip and has been started on medication to help the Alzheimer’s and I am wondering what to expect in turns of progress, staying steady at this stage or decline. I know that no one knows as each person is unique but I want to find my feet a bit as I am reeling.
My dad died of vascular dementia four years but my mum is significantly different in all ways to him.
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 12 months ago and commenced on Donepezil. There was a significant improvement in her mood and level of motivation but after six weeks she developed leg cramps and the medication was stopped. She was then prescribed Memantine and still takes this but sadly her dementia has progressed rapidly since the first lockdown.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was on donepezil 3 years and had no problems with it. It didn't improve his symptoms but I would say it is worth talking because it may have slowed his decline although it is impossible to know whether it did or not.

I would agree with the other comments that the hospital stay and the lockdown are very likely to contribute to your mums decline. My dad no longer recognised his own home after a 3 week stay in hospital but his mobility did improve greatly over a number of weeks.

I hope your mum recovers soon.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 12 months ago and commenced on Donepezil. There was a significant improvement in her mood and level of motivation but after six weeks she developed leg cramps and the medication was stopped. She was then prescribed Memantine and still takes this but sadly her dementia has progressed rapidly since the first lockdown.
So sorry to hear that Firecracker. Thanks for your response