Executor issues,probate and inheritance tax etc

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi folks,I'm wondering if anyone one here dealt with all that goes with the territory of being an executor of a will,so sorting out probate and inheritance tax forms etc,I'm just looking to the future and wanted to see if it's a massive hassle.
I'm an executor of mum's will and I'm thinking to myself when the time comes surely there is somebody to go to that can help in such matters and doesn't charge ,as a lot of people can't afford to pay for solicitors.I'm just wondering how straightforward this is and what are the steps after death to get all of the paperwork completed.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have done 2 probate applications and found the process to be ok, I took my time referring to the guidance notes at each step and was methodical in my approach, double checking everything before posting although I think it can be completed online now. Both estates were straightforward and simple though.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I have done 2 probate applications and found the process to be ok, I took my time referring to the guidance notes at each step and was methodical in my approach, double checking everything before posting although I think it can be completed online now. Both estates were straightforward and simple though.
I applied for Probate online last week. I thought about the answers carefully and filled the form in online on Tuesday at 15.30.
I received confirmation by email saying it might take 8 weeks at 16.45 .
And I received an email saying I was awarded Probate at 16.46.
On Friday I received the Letter of Administration in the post.
Amazing isn't it

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Thank you,I remember reading a comment made under a newspaper article,I think it was the Guardian and one chap said he had spent 100 hours,I thought "Oh God".It was good to hear that you managed ok

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I applied for Probate online last week. I thought about the answers carefully and filled the form in online on Tuesday at 15.30.
I received confirmation by email saying it might take 8 weeks at 16.45 .
And I received an email saying I was awarded Probate at 16.46.
On Friday I received the Letter of Administration in the post.
Amazing isn't it
Hi that indeed is amazing,you must have been so relieved

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi that indeed is amazing,you must have been so relieved
I was absolutely aghast. My cousin is still trying to get probate for my Uncle 3 and a half years after he died . My Mum's estate was very straight forward even though there was no will.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I was absolutely aghast. My cousin is still trying to get probate for my Uncle 3 and a half years after he died . My Mum's estate was very straight forward even though there was no will.
Gosh that's mad 3 and a half years,it's terrible how it can be so complicated in some situations if a solicitor is involved it would cost a fortune

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Gosh that's mad 3 and a half years,it's terrible how it can be so complicated in some situations if a solicitor is involved it would cost a fortune
No solicitor. But the Probate office was having problems processing claims last year and in 2019. Then in lockdown their staff started working from home. And IHT was involved. In April the Probate office said probate was imminent. I think Imminent must mean something different to the Probate office.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I was executor of dads will and did it all through the lockdown. It was very simple, I did it all on line and it took about 3 weeks for probate to be granted after I applied.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
No solicitor. But the Probate office was having problems processing claims last year and in 2019. Then in lockdown their staff started working from home. And IHT was involved. In April the Probate office said probate was imminent. I think Imminent must mean something different to the Probate office.
Poor cousin,it sounds a nightmare

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Having a quick glimpse on online it says you need to get letters of administration or apply for probate to prove that you have the authority to handle an estate,how do you go about that,I'm an executor as mentioned in a will do I still have to write to somebody to get letters of administration or I have I misunderstood that?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi Hooperswan
Are you expecting to have to to deal with this soon?
The order is that when your Mum dies you have to apply for Probate and that gives you the authority to administer the estate according to the Will or the the rules of Intestasy .
Maybe you're worrying about it too soon. I'm only doing it now as my Mum died in November.
Susan

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi Hooperswan
Are you expecting to have to to deal with this soon?
The order is that when your Mum dies you have to apply for Probate and that gives you the authority to administer the estate according to the Will or the the rules of Intestasy .
Maybe you're worrying about it too soon. I'm only doing it now as my Mum died in November.
Susan
Hi you're right,I'm worrying too soon,the covid situation has made me feel very unsettled.I know everyone is having a hard time and for me, I haven't been able to see my son he's just turned 18 and had lived with us 50% of the time since the age of 2,even though he just grunted now and again as a typical teenager it was nice that he was there.Mum hardly talks now and the isolation makes my mind wonder.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Having a quick glimpse on online it says you need to get letters of administration or apply for probate to prove that you have the authority to handle an estate,how do you go about that,I'm an executor as mentioned in a will do I still have to write to somebody to get letters of administration or I have I misunderstood that?

If there is a will and you are executor then you apply for probate. Some banks will release small sums without probate but pensions, insurance and any shares will require probate but you don't have to do this instantly. You do have to inform banks etc but after that you can take your own time. If you want to take a holiday first you can. If it hadn't have been for the lockdown I would definitely have taken some time for myself before starting but unfortunately I couldn't.

Stop worrying.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
If there is a will and you are executor then you apply for probate. Some banks will release small sums without probate but pensions, insurance and any shares will require probate but you don't have to do this instantly. You do have to inform banks etc but after that you can take your own time. If you want to take a holiday first you can. If it hadn't have been for the lockdown I would definitely have taken some time for myself before starting but unfortunately I couldn't.

Stop worrying.
Thanks,I haven't felt my best today,I have felt a little agitated.Tomorrow I'm going to find a nice film to watch with my mum and relax.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
When we were sorting out paperwork at mums house after she went into a care home, we found a copy of her will. There are four children and everything is split between us evenly. I did wonder who I was not named as executor, just my younger brother and sister - my elder sister was and still is living in the US so it made sense not to list her as executor. But I am the next eldest and although I was living in the Midlands at the time, my younger sister was living in Yorkshire so geography wasn’t a consideration!

However, I am really relieved that I won’t have to do all the work when the time comes, my brother ( or golden Prince as we call him) has helped his wife with probate for her her mother and my sister ( the spoilt baby Princess) has been involved with the affairs of her father in law and mother in law recently. So they are the experts and, love them as I do, I’ll be happy to sit back and let them get on with it.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I think it is good that you are seeking reassurance from us that the process can be straightforward if it is adding to your worries at this time and the reassurance helps. However all of this could be a long way off still so I wouldn't give it more thought at the moment. Everything falls into place at the time as you cross things off your 'to do' list.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC