Pressure areas

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have been with dad the last few days. There has been a noticeable decline in his weight. You can see it in his face. No matter what you give him to drink or how muchHis lips are looking chapped.
I had to take him to the toilet and whilst cleaning him up I noticed he has a skin tear just below his bottom. Also there are tiny marks beginning on his bottom. Dad suffered from pressure sores before and they took ages to heal. I put conatrane on but as dad spends quite a few hours on his bottom it is always going to be a problem. More so now as he has lost weight.
Standing him up with the Sara Stedy he had indentations on his knees as it is all getting to be a struggle.
He is still quite chesty . There has been a slight improvement overnight on the urine output But over all hardly any. One teatime it was only 75ml in the bag.
He has a chiropodist coming next week to do his toes as the nails are curling over.
His toes on the knuckle ends are permanently marking as he has socks on 24/7. He will not go without socks overnight.
Dad his scratching his back quite a lot during the day. “Something to do “he says.He has cream on but that still doesn’t stop him.It seems to be a habit now.
His fingernails are being cut again tomorrow. The carers won’t do it.
A never ending story!

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I have been with dad the last few days. There has been a noticeable decline in his weight. You can see it in his face. No matter what you give him to drink or how muchHis lips are looking chapped.
I had to take him to the toilet and whilst cleaning him up I noticed he has a skin tear just below his bottom. Also there are tiny marks beginning on his bottom. Dad suffered from pressure sores before and they took ages to heal. I put conatrane on but as dad spends quite a few hours on his bottom it is always going to be a problem. More so now as he has lost weight.
Standing him up with the Sara Stedy he had indentations on his knees as it is all getting to be a struggle.
He is still quite chesty . There has been a slight improvement overnight on the urine output But over all hardly any. One teatime it was only 75ml in the bag.
He has a chiropodist coming next week to do his toes as the nails are curling over.
His toes on the knuckle ends are permanently marking as he has socks on 24/7. He will not go without socks overnight.
Dad his scratching his back quite a lot during the day. “Something to do “he says.He has cream on but that still doesn’t stop him.It seems to be a habit now.
A never ending story!
Hi with regards to the pressure sores,you need to contact the community nurses tomorrow and get them involved and they will see what else they can do to help you,they will probabably prescribe a better barrier cream like Prosheild,they will visit again and monitor them for you.Thye may have to apply a pressure sore plaster to protect them
Have you had a visit from them yet?Has your dad got an air flow alternating mattress?
With regards to fluids,your dad will look thinner in the face,I make my mum a bowl of angel delight which is a strawberry flavoured powder which you whip in to a mousse,I add 300 ml of whole milk and divide it in to 2 servings that will make a big difference,mum has morridge every morning with 250 ml of milk and a mashed banana so that's more fluids
p.s when the district nurses come ask them for all of the suitable cushions that your dad needs for his chair or bed,make sure you ring them tomorrow though as you need to get the skin looked at quickly.

Have you ever had a visit form the community nurses?If not you will have to ring the gp and get them on board,it's a relief when you get them to help.

One final thing when you visit your dad I would give him a good handwash with a warm cloth and anti bacterial soap as although carers do a body wash in my experience they don't always clean the hands as good as they could,that will save him getting an eye infection if he rubs his eyes with dirty hands.You can buy the nail clippers for about £3 from the chemist I did my mums a couple of days ago and trimmed them short to save her scratching herself and there is also less nail for debris to collect

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi with regards to the pressure sores,you need to contact the community nurses tomorrow and get them involved and they will see what else they can do to help you,they will probabably prescribe a better barrier cream like Prosheild,they will visit again and monitor them for you.Thye may have to apply a pressure sore plaster to protect them
Have you had a visit from them yet?Has your dad got an air flow alternating mattress?
With regards to fluids,your dad will look thinner in the face,I make my mum a bowl of angel delight which is a strawberry flavoured powder which you whip in to a mousse,I add 300 ml of whole milk and divide it in to 2 servings that will make a big difference,mum has morridge every morning with 250 ml of milk and a mashed banana so that's more fluids
p.s when the district nurses come ask them for all of the suitable cushions that your dad needs for his chair or bed,make sure you ring them tomorrow though as you need to get the skin looked at quickly.

Have you ever had a visit form the community nurses?If not you will have to ring the gp and get them on board,it's a relief when you get them to help.

One final thing when you visit your dad I would give him a good handwash with a warm cloth and anti bacterial soap as although carers do a body wash in my experience they don't always clean the hands as good as they could,that will save him getting an eye infection if he rubs his eyes with dirty hands.You can buy the nail clippers for about £3 from the chemist I did my mums a couple of days ago and trimmed them short to save her scratching herself and there is also less nail for debris to collect
Hi. Yes dad has a Repose mattress and the same with his chair. Ever since his first stroke 5 years ago. The nurses visit every week for blood and to take his blood pressure.
I have clippers which I will use. I often soak his nails in a bowl to get the debris out.
This is the first time we have had pressure sores beginning in 3 years. His mobility has decreased and he is sat on his bottom in his recliner a lot longer these days. He spends 15 hours a day in bed.The rest of the time sat in his chair. He will get up and walk with his gutter frame when nagged. But only when he feels like it.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
A sheepskins underneath his bum can help, but take advise from the district nurses.

is he in pads or pants?

Maddiebd

Oct 27, 2020
A never ending story!
Yes. District Nurses need to be involved. Ans I think you may need to contact his GP for a referral to the DN.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Sorry things are not improving @TNJJ you have a lot to deal with and I can only say that I hope things get better for you soon. Speak to the nurses if you think it will help.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
A good way to heal pressure sores is to increase their protein consumption.
Good luck with that!
( As biscuits are the food of choice in my world!)

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well ,I applied cream. He now has a friction burn on his back. When he is in his recliner he sits and rubs his back side to side using his chair. He is scratching a lot of the time now as he seems to be itching a lot. I know the itching can be due to his declining kidney function which stood at 32egfr last week.He is still chesty but no antibiotics have touched it. As you know his heart failure is getting worse.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
@TNJJ i always used flannette sheets on my husbands bed any ones with polyester in them would cause his bottom area to shear. apply Proshield to all his skin areas where friction would be an issue Also when in bed take the pressure off his bottom by slightly leaning him on his side using extra pillows x WeeDido

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
has he got an air cushion on the back of his chair. like a blow up one which is rippled might not be able to scratch so easily with it
He did have. It was a complete one all the way down in the recliner. The only problem we had with it was he used to slip down and end up on the floor. I have even tipped the recliner back slightly and he still finds a way.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
He did have. It was a complete one all the way down in the recliner. The only problem we had with it was he used to slip down and end up on the floor. I have even tipped the recliner back slightly and he still finds a way.
I will dig it out again.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@TNJJ i always used flannette sheets on my husbands bed any ones with polyester in them would cause his bottom area to shear. apply Proshield to all his skin areas where friction would be an issue Also when in bed take the pressure off his bottom by slightly leaning him on his side using extra pillows x WeeDido
I have the flannelette sheets now. I will try the tilting overnight. Only problem is he is on his own.