Keeping safe

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Hi folks any advice/ suggestions please.
Our front door is locked by a mortice lock. We have a bar/chain inside which we put on during the day only. We lock the door at night with the key.
Unfortunately problems are occurring when I go out. I lock the door with the key but on a couple of occasions OH has put the bar on (as is our usual routine) or left the key in the lock but either way I can’t get back in. Last time I was locked out for 15mins he did not hear me knocking also if there had been an emergency I would not have been able to get in. My first thought was to add a latch type lock and remove the bar but that means if he went outside he could lock himself out.
I have arranged for a new lock to be fitted, mortice key from the outside and turn knob inside to keep it locked during the day. Thinking that will prevent the key going missing or the key being left in the door
However It has occurred to me that I will have no way of locking the door if OH starts to wander during the night he can just turn the knob and go out.
I suppose I could put a Chubb lock on as well and use it only at night but that means if locked even in an emergency no one can get in . Iis this safe or legal? If I am unwell OH can’t get out either.
We have a key safe in situ.
Who would have thought that fitting a new lock could cause such a dilemma ??
Am I over thinking this?
The back of the house is accessed by an electric rolling gate and glass sliding patio doors locked with a key.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Theres a lot of "ifs" in that.
I would be inclined to sort out your present problem and worry about future developments if/when they happen.

For now it sounds like replacing the present lock and chain with a lock that only uses a knob on the inside will solve your present problem. If there are other problems later it can be replaced with a chubb lock

FWIW, OH used to put the chain on and family members couldnt get in, so I had to remove it, too. We now have a chubb lock and a key safe outside so that in an emergency people can get in.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How about one of these ?

If no audio click on YouTube bottom right and play from there. There is a DTP glitch muting audio when using some browsers, admin are aware of this.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
I would be inclined to sort out your present problem and worry about future developments if/when they happen.

For now it sounds like replacing the present lock and chain with a lock that only uses a knob on the inside will solve your present problem. If there are other problems later it can be replaced with a chubb lock

FWIW, OH used to put the chain on and family members couldnt get in, so I had to remove it, too. We now have a chubb lock and a key safe outside so that in an emergency people can get in.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
How about one of these ?

If no audio click on YouTube bottom right and play from there. There is a DTP glitch muting audio when using some browsers, admin are aware of this.

How about one of
How about one of[URL='https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Door-Chains-and-Door-Checks/ASEC-door-chain-with-external-cylinder.html'] these
?

these[/URL] ?

How about one of these ?

How about one of these ?

[/QUOTE
Having trouble replying ? Not sure why . Just to say @nitram thank you the lockable chain is a really good idea. No idea something like that was available.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Having trouble replying not sure why?? @nitram thank you the lockable chain is a really good idea did not know something like that existed.
If you click on 'reply' you get the post as a quote and you can then enter your message below the quote and click 'post reply'

Alternatively type in the box, and click on 'post reply'

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Janey B
If eurocylinder instead of a thumbturn on the inside you could have one of these fitted, the outside key will work even if inside key is left in and vice versa.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
I know this sounds a bit trite, but is there another door that you can use if your front door is locked by your husband. I say this because I had the same problem where he started to lock me out deliberately by putting the chain on. fortunately we are on the ground floor and have french windows at the front. I now always have the key to the window, and can get in that way.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
I know this sounds a bit trite, but is there another door that you can use if your front door is locked by your husband. I say this because I had the
same problem where he started to lock me out deliberately by putting the chain on. fortunately we are on the ground floor and have french windows at the front. I now always have the key to the window, and can get in that way.

No unfortunately access to the back of the house is difficult. High walls electric gate and sliding patio doors which have a lever which we keep down most of the time. Thinking of going with the euro cylinder recommended by Nitram. At least if I need to lock the door I can always misplace a key . Thanks anyway sometimes we can’t see the wood for the trees ?