The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
@Sam Luvit that is great , amazing what a break can do . The conifers and bulbs sound great , as @canary said that will look lovely and colourful come spring . I just ordered 100 crocus and narcissus bulbs , can’t wait to get them in .
Hope the Tv stand turns up soon ! How is pooch ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The idea is to get some bulbs planted this month, so they start sprouting in February/ March. I’ll be looking for some shorter bulbs to plant next month. I’m looking forward to seeing them grow @canary

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Today I was expecting a friend (free labour), but she’s got a cold, so I’ll be hacking blackberry bushes and nettles on my own @Woo2

Unfortunately, Halloween seems to have taken over the gardening section in many shops. Fingers crossed Halloween doesn’t get replaced with tinsel and baubles

If I have the energy, I’ll stop at the garage after taking big brother shopping and try again to spot the TV stand. I think I found where the garden tools might be, naturally behind a lot of other things.

Pooch is settling in. Initially he only went outside if he was on a long lead. I’m now letting him follow me outside. So far he’s been very good. Staying close by and laying on the decking watching me work ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh dear, I’m going to have to curb my bulb buying ? I counted them tonight ... nearly 500 sitting on the floor waiting to go in the ground. Heaven help me, I’m going to have blisters for sure

First I need to clear the brambles, so I can get the fence up and the 15 conifers in. Then and only then, can I get the bulbs into the ground.

I intend to start the bulbs off in small pots, ready to plant out once everything else is ready. That’s the plan anyway

Today I found five climbers, or that’s how they describe themselves. Clematis in four different varieties, along with a Jasmin climber. I’ve repotted them in large containers, I’m debating on where to put them, although I have a slightly enclosed, hidden area by the side, which I think will be a good place for the Clematis, while the front will be the ideal place for the Jasmin. The front is a bit boring ... I’m thinking of burying a few tubs and planting them with .... something ... yet to be decided

I am puzzled by the bulbs. They give a date when the should flower. What I don’t understand, is why ...

Crocus flower in February, March, April or May
Daffodil flower in March, April or May
Iris flower in March, April, May or June
Snowflake flower In April and May (I thought it was much earlier)
Tulips flower in March, April or May

It’s just strange to me that the same “flower” will bloom in two or even four different months.

I guess I will just have to get them planted and see what happens

If the dates on the packs are right ... the garden is going to be an explosion of colour from about March o_O

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A lot depends on the weather, Sam, and your soil. And the variety . For instance my Tete-a-tete daffodils are
one of the first out in my garden. It’s a small variety and they bulk up quite quickly, always a good thing! But other varieties just disappear in a few years. Putting bulbs in pots then replanting seems a lot of work! I think I would just sink the pots in the soil then replant next year. Takes the pressure off trying to get all the work done.
Good luck with it all!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Sadly, and unlike my late dad and my younger brother, I have never been a gardener and both front and react gardens are paved. Did try pots but just couldn't get it sorted nor figure out what was what but I do love the results of others labours and the beauties they create. Looking forward to spring so much.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Spamar

Some of the bulbs say they need to be in the ground by next month, I’m still clearing the over five foot high brambles ready for the fence!

I figure potting the bulbs in the next few weeks will give me a little extra time to get the ground ready

In my old house, I dug down several feet, breaking up the soil (clay), mixed it with compost and threw in the bulbs. Can you tell I’m not a natural gardener? ?

To be honest, I enjoy the physical work of gardening, I find it helps me focus my thinking. Unfortunately I don’t know what I’m doing, so I either “ask a friend” or I Google ?

I’ve tried looking up February or March flowering bulbs, but I’m not keen on the images ? I am on the look out for Fuchsia plants, as I think they are very pretty. If I find any (cheap), I’d like to put them in massive pots out the front, so I can see them as I come home, to cheer me up after a hard shift

Its been hard this week

Last edited by a moderator:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
(((((((Hugs))))))). I’m sure a few won’t come amiss! I think you do a grand job and it’s so hard to deal with the unexpected. My mother died unexpectedly, well I knew it was just a matter of time as she had already had two strokes. One of her sisters was staying and they walk-in up a not very long hill and she had a fatal heart attack by the postbox. She was 61. I felt really weird when I went through the same age! My father had dementia which was a surprise to nobody! Fortunately for me I lived far east and he was far west! I had no intention of moving west, no jobs in my line for a start and a distance of 360 miles not conducive to a weekends visit. Plus we didn’t get in very well.
Well, the weather is good for bramble bashing so I’ll leave you to it!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Agzy

My parents did all the gardening, big brother and I were relegated to clearing the path or pulling out dandelions. Very boring. I never got to plant a bulb, put in bedding plants or so much as trim a hedge

For some reason, my mum told me I had “black fingers” and I believed her, so I didn’t try gardening after I left home. Fast forward ten years, I was faced with a large garden, with “grass” and very little else. I figured there was no one watching, so I’d have a go and see what happened. I literally dug holes, added compost and put a few bedding plants in. They grew and looked ok

The next year I got ambitious... I collected the cardboard egg cartons, added compost and 3 seeds to each section. Yes it was a bit of a faff, but I got in the habit of watering them each day, when tiny green shoots appeared I was ecstatic. I found old pots and replanted them out. I grew flowers from seeds. Maybe my fingers weren’t so black after all

I don’t attempt anything special, just lots of colour, all higgle de piglety, with no clean lines or design in sight ? The great thing about bulbs, is they come back next year and most multiply. I just add compost on top each year and leave them alone (my amazing gardener friend told me that tip)

Sams made up guide to pots ?

DIY shops sell basic 10 inch pots for under £1. Make sure they have holes in the bottom for drainage

Add a few stones to the bottom to keep the holes clear of soil. Add compost, leaving about a third at the top

Place bulbs around the edge, about an inch in, with a few in the middle. Cover with compost. Press down to compact it, but not too hard. Water

Water daily. I tend to do it in the evening. Soil should be damp, not soggy.

If they grow ... show them off. If they don’t ... hide the evidence ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Agzy

My parents did all the gardening, big brother and I were relegated to clearing the path or pulling out dandelions. Very boring. I never got to plant a bulb, put in bedding plants or so much as trim a hedge

For some reason, my mum told me I had “black fingers” and I believed her, so I didn’t try gardening after I left home. Fast forward ten years, I was faced with a large garden, with “grass” and very little else. I figured there was no one watching, so I’d have a go and see what happened. I literally dug holes, added compost and put a few bedding plants in. They grew and looked ok

The next year I got ambitious... I collected the cardboard egg cartons, added compost and 3 seeds to each section. Yes it was a bit of a faff, but I got in the habit of watering them each day, when tiny green shoots appeared I was ecstatic. I found old pots and replanted them out. I grew flowers from seeds. Maybe my fingers weren’t so black after all

I don’t attempt anything special, just lots of colour, all higgle de piglety, with no clean lines or design in sight ? The great thing about bulbs, is they come back next year and most multiply. I just add compost on top each year and leave them alone (my amazing gardener friend told me that tip)

Sams made up guide to pots ?

DIY shops sell basic 10 inch pots for under £1. Make sure they have holes in the bottom for drainage

Add a few stones to the bottom to keep the holes clear of soil. Add compost, leaving about a third at the top

Place bulbs around the edge, about an inch in, with a few in the middle. Cover with compost. Press down to compact it, but not too hard. Water

Water daily. I tend to do it in the evening. Soil should be damp, not soggy.

If they grow ... show them off. If they don’t ... hide the evidence ?
Sounds easy an simple but so does golf and that is disastrous for me (as today proved :oops:) so I think I will stick to admiring the results of your effort my friend.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Do you ever have a day when you think ... I’m not going there

So, on a total change of subject ... Pooch

Pooch is an enigma. I know dogs that go to the door when then want to go out. They go to a cupboard when they want treats. Pooch ... no such luck

He sits next to me and barks or growls. Turns out he wants to get on the sofa and have a cuddle. Why doesn’t he just jump up???

Pooch has tossed his Teddy over his head into my lap (no he didn’t want to go to bed), growled at me (no he didn’t want to go out), he walks off, flops down and gazes at me .. not a blooming clue

Its like having a newborn baby, crying, you know they are fed, watered, burped, clean happy ... yet still they cry. You walk around at 3 in the morning trying to work out what they want. That is me with Pooch. Not a Scooby Doo what he wants. I don’t think he knows either.

If I’m out and he wants to go out .... he gets ONE shoe and hides it. So, I know if there is only one shoe by the door, Pooch wants a P. However, he’s so blooming thick, that he makes it impossible for me to take him, as I can’t find two dog walking shoes

As I said .... he’s a blooming enigma

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
? Hmm . It’s a way of getting your attention that’s for sure . I wished I could read my pooch ‘s mind sometimes . How are you doing ? Have you finished planting yet ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There is no rhyme or reason to Pooch, but he looks so pleased when I eventually work it out @Woo2

I planted twelve “pots” yesterday, made up from sixteen different packs of bulbs. I have buckets of heather out the front, four climbers starting to grow in big pots I can move around until I find the best place for them

The fence bits will be delivered this week ....

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m working tomorrow, then have the entire week off ... cue a lot of work sorting the garden and maybe ( ? ) sorting the indoors

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Some fresh air and exercise ..... perfect . Hope you get what you want done . How are your men folk doing ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
It must be a while since you had an entire week off. Enjoy it and I bet Pooch will be well pleased to have you around

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve cleared more of the brambles and made a start on sorting the office @Woo2 ...:p

Youngest phoned me today ... he misses me :(, not seen him or Baby Girl since March, (apart from a few hours in August). They’ve invited me up for Christmaso_O

I’m off that Thursday and Saturday, but should be working the Friday. I’m going to ask for it off (a whole two hours). I know they are going to say no, so I’ve decided to hand in my notice and job hunt for a new one for January. Drastic I know, but I have to have a goal to hang my dreams on right now.

Apart from shopping, I only see clients and Pooch. It’s been like that since March and it’s starting to get to me. Am I crazy?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Good to hear your news @Sam Luvit . Your garden plans sound lovely. Are you going to grow any veg too? WHat happened about the other agency you thought of moving too, can you put out feelers for a move there sometime in January and give yourself a nice Christmas break?