care at home when lower limit reached in savings?

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi,I'm wondering how much the LA will pay towards care when aomebody is living at home and the lower limit is reached,when you read about this I think some people are under the impression that when the lower limit is reached that the LA starts to pay fore care,just wondering if anyone is in the situation and can say what does happen?I would love to know if you seem any better off or is it as I suspect that they take nearly every penny off you

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I would love to know if you seem any better off or is it as I suspect that they take nearly every penny off you

@hooperman It's been a couple of years since Mum was contributing to her care at home but what happens is firstly the amount of care required is calculated, then a financial assessment is conducted which calculates available income, taking into account living costs and other necessary outgoings. This will then produce the amount the individual will be expected to pay towards the cost of their care at home - the amount will vary from person to person dependant on their personal circumstances. There is a minimum amount that the individual must be left with, and they certainly didn't 'take every penny off' Mum - she was still able to pay her utility bills, buy food/clothes etc without having to struggle. I thought the amount she had to contribute towards her care visits and day centre was very reasonable, and the local authority has contracts with care companies so can negotiate better rates.

In terms of being better off, then obviously by contributing towards their care the individual won't be financially better off, but mum was definitely better off for having the care so it depends on how you look at it. Some on here have posted to say that their local authority paid for all of the home care when the lower limit was reached so it may vary depending where you live.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
@hooperman It's been a couple of years since Mum was contributing to her care at home but what happens is firstly the amount of care required is calculated, then a financial assessment is conducted which calculates available income, taking into account living costs and other necessary outgoings. This will then produce the amount the individual will be expected to pay towards the cost of their care at home - the amount will vary from person to person dependant on their personal circumstances. There is a minimum amount that the individual must be left with, and they certainly didn't 'take every penny off' Mum - she was still able to pay her utility bills, buy food/clothes etc without having to struggle. I thought the amount she had to contribute towards her care visits and day centre was very reasonable, and the local authority has contracts with care companies so can negotiate better rates.

In terms of being better off, then obviously by contributing towards their care the individual won't be financially better off, but mum was definitely better off for having the care so it depends on how you look at it. Some on here have posted to say that their local authority paid for all of the home care when the lower limit was reached so it may vary depending where you live.
Hi thanks,mum has care at home already with 4 visits each day by 2 carers,so just wanted and idea of what the future holds so you've given me a helpful insight.My mum has to have double up visits which makes things expensive but that's just the way it works for some people

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi thanks,mum has care at home already with 4 visits each day by 2 carers,so just wanted and idea of what the future holds so you've given me a helpful insight.My mum has to have double up visits which makes things expensive but that's just the way it works for some people

Four care visits a day seems to be the upper limit that the local authority will fund. If someone requires more than 4 care visits daily then that is usually when consideration is given to a care home.