Flu vaccination under 65?

feinn

Jan 7, 2019
The last couple of years my wife, who is 60 and has early onset alzheimers has had a flu jab however the surgery we are now with refused and said the condition doesn't qualify her for vaccination. Can anyone advise if they are correct?

Thanks

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I got a free vaccination at 53 because I am my partner's carer. But, the best advice I can find on the subject is at

This year free flu vaccines will be offered more widely than ever before. After vaccination of people at the highest risk (as above) has begun, people aged 50–64 – as well as carers of people at higher risk – will be offered a free flu jab too (often for the first time).
You can also get it at local pharmacies that offer this service. If you are not eligible or feel you cannot wait for this, you can pay to have the flu vaccine at your local pharmacy instead. Expect to pay about £8 to £12.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I don't know about dementia patients, but carers are a priority. I am under 65 but got a 'flu jab without any problem from my GP surgery on the grounds of being a carer.

feinn

Jan 7, 2019
Thank you for replying. I'll find one we can purchase. It demonstrates again how little understanding there is.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My understanding is there were some supply issues, which is what may have been the problem this year.
It may be a one year only blip, so hopefully next year things will revert back.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @feinn The NHS flu vaccination programme has changed/been expanded this year due to covid. The first round of free vaccinations has been prioritised for those over 65 or those under 65 with specific health conditions who are clinically at risk - dementia is not included in the list of health conditions - or those who are caring for someone aged over 65 or with one of the listed health conditions.

The next round of free vaccinations will be to those aged between 50 and 65 but the date for when this will commence has not yet been announced so as has already been posted, your wife can either wait for the next round of free jabs to be made available or try obtaining one at a pharmacy, although some have already stopped issuing these to under 65's due to low stocks. Details about this year's flu vaccination programme are on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I guess I an fortunate as I am under 60 and had a flu jab as a Carer - however I was advised it was a different one to that given to my over 65 partner who had medium asthma condition.
Maybe a post code lottery again ......

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I guess I an fortunate as I am under 60 and had a flu jab as a Carer - however I was advised it was a different one to that given to my over 65 partner who had medium asthma condition.

I managed to get one free at the local pharmacy as a carer, and it makes sense to prioritise the supplies to make sure that the most at risk get the vaccination first. There are different types of vaccinations available, dependant on age, so that might make a difference to supplies too:

If you're eligible for the flu vaccine on the NHS, you'll be offered one that's most effective for you, depending on your age:
  • adults aged 18 to 64 – there are different types, including low-egg and egg-free ones
  • adults aged 65 and over – the most common one contains an extra ingredient to help your immune system make a stronger response to the vaccine

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have spent weeks ringing my GP to try and get my flu jab and once I got through they said they had no stock left for the under 65 and to keep checking their website to see IF they might get some more in.

I have fairly bad asthma (my preventer inhalers are more commonly prescribed for those with COPD) and I am upset that those with no underlying conditions have been able to buy the limited supply when I need one.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I have spent weeks ringing my GP to try and get my flu jab and once I got through they said they had no stock left for the under 65 and to keep checking their website to see IF they might get some more in.

I have fairly bad asthma (my preventer inhalers are more commonly prescribed for those with COPD) and I am upset that those with no underlying conditions have been able to buy the limited supply when I need one.

The government has advised that it is not a case of the supplies being limited - there are enough supplies for everyone - but the vaccinations are being sent to GP's, pharmacies etc in batches. As you have asthma you will be on the priority list for vaccination regardless of your age, it's just a case of your GP not having the right vaccination in stock at the moment. See here for details: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nes-and-supply-for-the-national-flu-programme

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
There have been record-breaking numbers of flu vaccines produced and sold this year. However, the strategy is different this year. Last year there was a shortage and I had my vaccine very late (I always have one due to asthma). I always book in at the earliest opportunity. This year the surgery told me the day to show up at a church hall - still later than I have had it as the over 65 people were vaccinated first with a different vaccine. I had the Sanofi Quadrivalent (Flublok). Sanofi make a different one for over 65 year olds which is a high dose one.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
The government has advised that it is not a case of the supplies being limited - there are enough supplies for everyone - but the vaccinations are being sent to GP's, pharmacies etc in batches. As you have asthma you will be on the priority list for vaccination regardless of your age, it's just a case of your GP not having the right vaccination in stock at the moment. See here for details: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nes-and-supply-for-the-national-flu-programme

I know that is what the government has said but it wasn't what I was told on the phone or on their website. And if there is a slow availability the most vulnerable should be prioritised rather than sell them to those less vulnerable. Friends over 50 have paid to have them early rather than wait for the nhs.

My daughter ended up with pneumonia when she had flu a couple of years ago, thankfully caught very early, but given she was exceedingly fit (resting pulse of 45 so a pulse of 70 was high when initially noted as normal) and at the time still potentially going to follow elite sport instead of uni, it underlines the risks of asthma.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I know that is what the government has said but it wasn't what I was told on the phone or on their website. And if there is a slow availability the most vulnerable should be prioritised rather than sell them to those less vulnerable. Friends over 50 have paid to have them early rather than wait for the nhs.

You would still be able to get the vaccination free at a pharmacy if you are in a priority/vulnerable category, you would just need to let the pharmacist know and they tick a box on the form and that gets sent to your GP so that they know that you've had the vaccination. That's what happened when I got my jab at the pharmacy.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm under 50 (just) and no longer a carer but I've got health conditions that entitle me to a free flu jab. This year, however, I had to phone several pharmacies for weeks until they suddenly had stock. The GP has been trailing behind and has only now caught up, so I had the pneumonia vaccine as well.

It could be that without certain health conditions you have to wait quite a while before they get around to your age group. You can try paying for one at Boots or Lloyds Pharmacy, but they had supply issues as well. At the moment it really doesn't feel like there are more doses available than usual!

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
My understanding is there were some supply issues, which is what may have been the problem this year.
It may be a one year only blip, so hopefully next year things will revert back.

This. I went to our local pharmacy to collect some prescriptions at the same time the owner was with a medical rep. Not only was he ranting about not being able to get the over 65 vaccine but he was also told they couldn't get supplies of the 18-64 vaccine either. He came out and told his staff not to take any appointments for flu jabs for any age group as he couldn't get supplies. He seemed to think it was the manufacturers' fault as they would have known what production levels were needed and apparently the doses weren't ready.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I got my jab at my local pharmacy (part of a chain) 5weeks ago, he said the only problem he had with the trivalent was fridge space as doses were delivered weekly, he could not get any of the quadrivalent.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Not only was he ranting about not being able to get the over 65 vaccine but he was also told they couldn't get supplies of the 18-64 vaccine either.

Not surprising, it's a nice money earner.