Coping with back pain

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pauline, in her determination to be as self sufficient as she can, very foolishly tried to lift a heavy marble grave ornament I had brought home for its annual cleaning and in doing so has hurt her back. I did phone her doctor and a practice nurse phoned us back and prescribed co-codamol tablets and pain relief gel. Initially the tablets did cause a bad reaction but she is now OK withem but neither they or the gel seem to do anything other than temporary relief.. this has led to her regularly calling for death to intervene and her tempers are just out of control. The problem is I cant imagine there is anything else her GP could do if I went through the challenges of E Consult system.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
How awful, Agzy. I was prescribed co-codamol for sciatica years ago and all it did was make me sleepy, especially if I had a beer but that's another story. I don't suppose Pauline would co-operate with an osteopath, as my partner has not been too good at following physios instructions. The only thing that controls the pain of her arthritis is Butec morphine based pain patches, would that be an option?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Agzy

If Pauline can see an osteopath, as long as you can get a recommendation from your GP, I would certainly give it a try. I had amazing relief from my osteopath.

The trouble is, Pauline might have muscular damage or disc problems from the strain and really only an examination will show what has actually been damaged.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my back pain is infamous. co-codomol didnt touch mine either by itself and i have a morphine patch which my husband sticks on my back shoulder height. if your wife had one of those on, it would be out of reach and wouldnt take tablets. i do both and had a steroid injection last week. jury is still out as to whether it has worked. go back to the gp and see what else they suggest

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I’m very interested in this. I’ve never heard of morphine patches for back pain - do they make you drowsy though? I’d be concerned about PWD feeling sleepy and having a fall. Have been given Ibuprofen but it doesn’t seem to help, judging by the dramatic moans and groans!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I’m very interested in this. I’ve never heard of morphine patches for back pain - do they make you drowsy though? I’d be concerned about PWD feeling sleepy and having a fall. Have been given Ibuprofen but it doesn’t seem to help, judging by the dramatic moans and groans!
That is one of the downsides, my partner did become more sleepy when she started on the patches. She has not fallen though and it is about 3 years or so since starting on the patches.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
With any patches be careful when showering or bathing, if they get hot the absorption can be increased.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
ive had them for three months and i havent found that i get more sleepy and there are different strengths 10,15 and i think 20 so start on low and work up if needed. my husband puts it on my back about just below shoulder level so it doesnt interfere with straps. it will stick dont use talc. dry it carefully especially after a shower. they stay there for 7 days then renew

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I’m contacting the GP again tomorrow as I think she has a chest infection as well now and, you never know, we might even get to see a doctor but I doubt it in these troubled times.