The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
The reasons will no doubt vary but you might find this factsheet interesting. It mentions that some people with dementia can find the rush of water onto their head frightening and/or disorientating: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...sues-around-washing-and-bathing#content-start
This is very interesting. Mum always enjoyed a shower but now she’s down to once a week and actually I’m not convinced even that is happening. She is still changing dirty clothes for clean ones though.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad never really lost his sense of humour and we could still laugh together. When it came to shower time it was a case of I'll have one tomorrow and it was the same with shaving.

MaNaAk

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
A few months ago my mum attempted to use the washing machine and came to ask me how to switch it on. I checked the door was properly shut, opened the dispenser drawers to make sure she had put the washing liquid and fabric conditioner in the correct trays only to discover the fabric conditioner tray full of tablet salt that goes in the water softener machine! I can see the logic, fabric conditioner...fabric softener... water softener...oh yes, salt ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
A few months ago my mum attempted to use the washing machine and came to ask me how to switch it on. I checked the door was properly shut, opened the dispenser drawers to make sure she had put the washing liquid and fabric conditioner in the correct trays only to discover the fabric conditioner tray full of tablet salt that goes in the water softener machine! I can see the logic, fabric conditioner...fabric softener... water softener...oh yes, salt ?

This reminds me of that programme Can't Cook Won't Cook where one participant put salt in a dessert instead of sugar and unfortunately their partner, who was blindfolded, had to taste it! ? Anyway were the clothes alright what was the water softener machine like?

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This reminds me of that programme Can't Cook Won't Cook where one participant put salt in a dessert instead of sugar and unfortunately their partner, who was blindfolded, had to taste it! ? Anyway were the clothes alright what was the water softener machine like?

MaNaAk
did they pretend they liked it?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
No I remember her squealing it's got salt in it and I seem to remember that they were trying to make ice cream!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

Well I continued with the shredding and I was feeling overwhelmed what with the task before me, everything else going and not being appreciated for what I thought I had done so far with any clearing then I come across this:

Dad to dementia nurse at his care home:

"I get on with the other residents providing they behave".

The nurse had been called in about his behaviour!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
He also told the nurse that he was not "the owner"!

They must have a good laugh afterwards as the nurse was called to tackle his behaviour and recommend a higher dose of memantine!

MaNaAk