Talk of dying all the time

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Hi there
My Dad has had a few decent weeks over the last couple of months but he is now obsessed about talking about dying. He had a hospital appointment today for eye injections and he thought he was going in to stay in hospital. To die there. He told mum to tell his girls he loved them. It’s all so sad for him and us as caregivers. Any thoughts anyone? X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum used to say that she was dying and my MIL used to say that she was "poorly". I think it was their way of expressing their symptoms of dementia when they couldnt comprehend what was actually wrong, but knew something wasnt quite right.
I used to say briskly to mum "yes mum, we are all dying, but I dont think it will be today" and then change the subject. Mum frequently took her cue from my reaction and if I didnt seem concerned, then she often wasnt either.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
How upsetting for you all. My dad said similar on occasion but it passed.
Hopefully it does pass.
My mum used to say that she was dying and my MIL used to say that she was "poorly". I think it was their way of expressing their symptoms of dementia when they couldnt comprehend what was actually wrong, but knew something wasnt quite right.
I used to say briskly to mum "yes mum, we are all dying, but I dont think it will be today" and then change the subject. Mum frequently took her cue from my reaction and if I didnt seem concerned, then she often wasnt either.
Hi there
Yes I often respond that way myself when I’m my 2 week caring duties. I feel for my sister and mum when it happens while I’m not there. I will though pass on your comments to my wonderful family. Xx

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
One of the most hurtful and distressing reactions is the constant demands to be left to die and makes caring so much harder and demoralising hence the poem in the poetry section as the refrain is almost constant at present owing to back pain.