UTI or Major Decline??

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
I have been lingering here for a few months now after my Mum being diagnosed with Mixed Dementia (Vascular/Alzeimers) in July 20 aged 62.

Although Mum had complained of leg stiffness over the past 6 months, her mobility was generally ok until Friday night where she got stuck on the toilet for over 3.5 hrs. It took alot of persuasion for her to allow us to help her up, prior to this we was fully able to manage her own personal care.

We finally got her back to bed and since then she has more or less been completely immobile and incontinent.

We had the doctor up yesterday who said there was protein in her urine so was starting her on a course of anti biotics but unfortunately she started being sick and having diarhea so we are waiting for another doctor this morning.

Can such a sudden change be anything to do with the Dementia or is it more likely to be a UTI and reversible with the correct medication?

We have went from needing no help to 24 hr care but have no care package due to a delay with covid :(

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
It could be caused by the UTI, even in someone without dementia that can cause a terrifyingly swift loss of mobility and continence. It has happened to both my parents, though it was my mum (PWD) who made the better recovery mobility wise...eventually.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I have been lingering here for a few months now after my Mum being diagnosed with Mixed Dementia (Vascular/Alzeimers) in July 20 aged 62.

Although Mum had complained of leg stiffness over the past 6 months, her mobility was generally ok until Friday night where she got stuck on the toilet for over 3.5 hrs. It took alot of persuasion for her to allow us to help her up, prior to this we was fully able to manage her own personal care.

We finally got her back to bed and since then she has more or less been completely immobile and incontinent.

We had the doctor up yesterday who said there was protein in her urine so was starting her on a course of anti biotics but unfortunately she started being sick and having diarhea so we are waiting for another doctor this morning.

Can such a sudden change be anything to do with the Dementia or is it more likely to be a UTI and reversible with the correct medication?

We have went from needing no help to 24 hr care but have no care package due to a delay with covid :(
Just wondering if the antibiotics have disagreed with her as well -assumimg she started being sick after taking them?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @maz11

I don`t think anyone can give you a definite answer to this until the antibiotics have run their course. Infections can be so damaging to dementia.

It would seem a rapid progression if your mother is still so compromised once she has completed the course of antibiotics but it really does seem to be the luck of the draw in different people with different form of dementia.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @maz11 you'll find lots of helpful advice and support here. As has already been said, a UTI or any type of infection can cause havoc in someone with dementia. Has your mum been constipated, as that can also cause problems. Hopefully the doctor will give her a through examination/check up this morning and identify the problem. Keep posting to let us know how you get on.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When you get such a sudden change, its much more likely to be an infection of some sort. OH suddenly completely lost mobility with a UTI, but has since regained it.

Sickness and diarrhoea can be a side effect of some antibiotics, so the doctor might switch her to a different one.

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
Thank you for your replies. Currently waiting for a doctor to visit to see if the medication needs changed. She has barely eaten anything since Friday so im not sure if thats contributing to the nausea with the tablets. Yesterdays Doctor said she wasn't concerned if she didnt eat but she said it was important that she was drinking. She had only had 1 tablet about 4 hrs before she was sick. She is very quiet today and not keen on letting us change/dress her ?

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
Welcome to the forum @maz11 you'll find lots of helpful advice and support here. As has already been said, a UTI or any type of infection can cause havoc in someone with dementia. Has your mum been constipated, as that can also cause problems. Hopefully the doctor will give her a through examination/check up this morning and identify the problem. Keep posting to let us know how you get on.
Morning,

No she hasn't been constipated infact she had a dose of diarrhoea yesterday afternoon.

When you ask her if she feels OK or if anything is sore she just says 'no i don't think so'

Xx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
No she hasn't been constipated infact she had a dose of diarrhoea yesterday afternoon.

The reason I asked was because you mentioned that your mum was stuck on the toilet for a long time and when someone has been constipated for a while they can get faecal impaction followed by overflow, which in simple terms means that they get 'bunged up' and after a while this can result in a bit of an 'explosion' which appears to be diarrhoea but isn't. It's not pleasant to experience (or clean up!) but can be resolved with laxatives and by drinking plenty of fluids. Just a suggestion, best to wait to see what the doctor suggests.

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
Update. Mum was admitted to hospital last night.

Urine sample came back clear so they are leaning towards mini stroke but my Dad tested positive for Covid yesterday so there is a very good chance Mum has that too ?.

We are awaiting more test results as her condition declined again so hospital felt the only choice as we still have nothing concrete to explain what has caused this decline and she was showing no signs of improvement.

My mum has suffered with severe claustrophobia her whole adult life and has managed to avoid ambulances so to see her strapped in the ambulance chair last night and not panicking proved the severity of change in her as there is no way she would have not reacted to that last week.

We are calling for an update soon so will update when I can x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @maz11 I’m so sorry to read your update. Thinking of you and of your mum and dad. Wishing you strength.

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
Mum has tested positive for Covid aswell ?. This week cant get any worse. She had a fall in hospital this morning but is not injured and is being treated with the anti covid trial medication and is on an intravenous anti biotic as they have retested her urine and found protein again. We are also pushing for a CT scan. My sister and I were tested for covid this morning so currently awaiting results as we have mild symptoms x

maz11

Jul 28, 2020
So sorry to hear of these developments, it’s really tough when you can’t be with them in such a stressful situation.
It is really hard not being able to visit but she is still very confused and doesn't really know where she is so is oblivious to it all right now x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh my @maz11 so much going on for your family ... I hope the meds help your mum, and fingers crossed for your test results

just to offer a warm welcome to DTP @Triffid ... there's lots of support here, so do keep posting

SandyF

Sep 15, 2019
Update. Mum was admitted to hospital last night.

Urine sample came back clear so they are leaning towards mini stroke but my Dad tested positive for Covid yesterday so there is a very good chance Mum has that too ?.

We are awaiting more test results as her condition declined again so hospital felt the only choice as we still have nothing concrete to explain what has caused this decline and she was showing no signs of improvement.

My mum has suffered with severe claustrophobia her whole adult life and has managed to avoid ambulances so to see her strapped in the ambulance chair last night and not panicking proved the severity of change in her as there is no way she would have not reacted to that last week.

We are calling for an update soon so will update when I can x
Hi Maz - just sending love to you. What a horrid time you're having.