Brother Is Worried About Me Sending The Will To The Probate Office

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I never heard anything back from my brothers since Wednesday but I suppose this is good. Oh well I have a new pupil to look forward to tomorrow so on the work front things are looking up a little.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
A quick update in that the Probate office noticed a tear in the left hand corner of the Will and we want to establish how it got there and whether it was noticed before. My brother was asking whether the solicitors said anything and seems all three of us have to make a declaration. I put it in the envelope and posted but neither my youngest brother nor I noticed any tear.

I did say that I could have a look at the copy of the Will of course it was held in a solicitors office and transferred to another solicitor on the latter's retirement.

MaNaAk

PS: All I would need is to get the blame for this.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
A quick update in that the Probate office noticed a tear in the left hand corner of the Will and we want to establish how it got there and whether it was noticed before. My brother was asking whether the solicitors said anything and seems all three of us have to make a declaration. I put it in the envelope and posted but neither my youngest brother nor I noticed any tear.

I did say that I could have a look at the copy of the Will of course it was held in a solicitors office and transferred to another solicitor on the latter's retirement.

MaNaAk

PS: All I would need is to get the blame for this.

Unless a large chunk of a page had been torn off, I cannot see that it makes ant difference really.

If youu all say it was fine when it was posted off, what can they do? Hardly going to invalidate the will.

Atleast you know it got to the probate office anyway.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The guidance states that if a will is 'damaged' then a cover letter is required:

If the will has been changed or damaged

You must include a cover letter if the will or any updates have changed in any way since you’ve had them. This includes them being damaged or separated for photocopying.

The letter should explain what’s been changed and why.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
the Probate office noticed a tear in the left hand corner of the Will

This could mean that an attachment had been stapled and the corner torn off to removed the evidence of the staple holes.

The office require a different explanation.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'll have a look at my photographs of the Will and the copy. Should I apologise if it was as a result of me putting it in the envelope?

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I'll have a look at my photographs of the Will and the copy. Should I apologise if it was as a result of me putting it in the envelope?

MaNaAk
no you have apologised enough you didnt see it nor your younger brother it could have been done when they took it out of the envelope. just write the cover letter send and forget it. they will blame you but dont blame yourself. accident not a catastrophe. dont dwell or ruminate and maybe leave the chocolate alone as they will have to make a chocolate allowance for all the stress they have caused you stop thinking

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Looking at the photos of that actual Will and the copy it looks like it's in perfect condition but it was bound by twine so I wonder if there is a chance that it could have been damaged in the probate office! Anyway I am going to consider the declaration.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Looking at the photos of that actual Will and the copy it looks like it's in perfect condition but it was bound by twine so I wonder if there is a chance that it could have been damaged in the probate office! Anyway I am going to consider the declaration.

MaNaAk
thats what i said

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I have sent an email to my brothers admitting that the Will could have been damaged by my putting it in the envelope but also by the green twine if it was removed by the Probate office. Either way it would have been an accident. Has anyone else had this unique problem?

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I have sent an email to my brothers admitting that the Will could have been damaged by my putting it in the envelope but also by the green twine if it was removed by the Probate office. Either way it would have been an accident. Has anyone else had this unique problem?

MaNaAk

Why do you give them ammunition? Do you normally damage docs when you put them into envelopes? Of course you dont.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I don’t think you should have said that it may have been you that damaged it, nobody knows and you didn’t recall any damage, so really should have just said that.....I doubt you did it putting it in an envelope?

My worry now is they will blame you for what you said!!

Your brothers are not reasonable or understanding with you, so please be very careful what you admit to.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou you two. We will be drafting a response and actually we've got photos of the Will when we collected it showing it to be absolutely fine. Judging by the elder of my two brother's last email he is a lot more stressed out about it than I am and yet here I am on my own and there he is with his wife. He thinks I am going to contact the Probate office on my own as if I haven't got other things to do. I think I'm going to have a better night than him I'm more concerned about organising the next boiler service to fix the leak which I still have from time to time in the house that I will be leaving.

MaNaAk

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Who knows what they do when they get these documents in public offices? I sent an application to the OPG for LPAs for my brother and they managed to lose the originals, then find them but say I had missed certain sections. I told them I had completed them (stupidly I didn't make a copy as there were so many pages), they then found those. Now I find there is a continuation sheet missing on both the LPAs although they sent me a copy of one! This has been going on for months.

I think the problem may be to do with fewer staff at the moment in these offices due to Coronavirus and they are using inexperienced or less staff than usual to verify things. Also, they could be stapling the documents themselves and then detaching them. Best not to admit to anything - as far as you know, they were in perfect condition when sent unless they had chocolate fingerprints on them!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
If they untied the twine I'm surprised they didn't lose some pages I hope you get the POAs sorted Nita.

MaNaAk