lewy body dementia

Just Jane

Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

My 70 year old father has been told today by a doctor at the hospital he got lewy body dementia, We have not been told what stage he is at.
Has anyone else here got a family member with Lewy body dementia, I would like to hear other accounts of this form of dementia.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
A belated welcome to the forum @Just Jane. Sorry, I have no experience of lewy bodies dementia. The factsheet at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...a-progresses/progression-dementia-lewy-bodies and subsequent links might help explain the progression and give you an idea of what stage your father is at. Of course, everyone progresses at a different rate, but hopefully that will help you.
Others with more experience will be around in the morning to fill in the gaps.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Just Jane and welcome to DTP

There is a lot of overlap between the different dementias, so although (for example) hallucinations are considered a "feature" of LBD, people with other types of dementia will also get hallucinations too and you will find that there are a lot of common features - the change in personality, the obsessions, the confabulations (made up stories) and many other things are common to all types.
Nevertheless, every person with dementia has their own unique pathway and you may also find that another carer of someone with LBD has very different problems to your own.

I would recommend that you have a mooch around the forum - I found I picked up loads of tips doing this - and not worry too much about what type of dementia it is. If yourve got a particular problem, do post about it as Im sure there will be at least one other person who has or had a similar problem.
xx

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Hi Just Jane. Welcome to the best place to get advice on anything to do with dementia.My dad has Lewy body dementia. He was diagnosed 4 years ago. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and if I can’t there is always someone here who is willing to help. I hadn’t heard of LWD until dads diagnosis so it was a steep learning curve ,helped by the lovely people on TP. I shouldn’t worry about what stage he is at , as everyone is affected differently. If things are worrying you,come on here .There is always a friendly person to talk to. It’s been a godsend to me.

Just Jane

Jun 29, 2020
Hi Just Jane. Welcome to the best place to get advice on anything to do with dementia.My dad has Lewy body dementia. He was diagnosed 4 years ago. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and if I can’t there is always someone here who is willing to help. I hadn’t heard of LWD until dads diagnosis so it was a steep learning curve ,helped by the lovely people on TP. I shouldn’t worry about what stage he is at , as everyone is affected differently. If things are worrying you,come on here .There is always a friendly person to talk to. It’s been a godsend to me.

My father has also a lot of leg pain and pain in is arms on some days, does your father get any leg pain or pain in is arms?

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Dad had tremors in one arm but no pain ,although he found it hard to express himself so he may have had some pain. Hallucinations and delusions were his main symptoms.