Letter of Authorization.

Peter T.

Sep 23, 2020
Hello.

I'm concerned about my Dad who has been showing signs of memory loss and early signs of dementia for some time.

He's aware of his this but is reluctant to visit the doctor so is undiagnosed.

I'd like to raise this with his GP but because of confidentiality issues, i'm told i'd need a Letter of Authorisation to raise my concerns about his memory loss.

A brief search online brings up a whole plethora of stuff that i find a bit confusing.

Can anyone advise what i should include in a letter for possible diagnosis and initial care for making decisions for him.

Thank you.

Peter T.

Claireyeddy

Sep 21, 2020
Hi there!

We had to do this for my Nan, and my Dad simply typed out a letter that stated something along the lines of "I give permission to the below named persons to speak to and discuss matters regarding my health with my GP surgery as and when necessary." He then listed his and my Mum's names, ensured my Nan understood it and had her sign it. Our GP surgery accepted this so hopefully it will be this straightforward for you too :)

Peter T.

Sep 23, 2020
Hi there!

We had to do this for my Nan, and my Dad simply typed out a letter that stated something along the lines of "I give permission to the below named persons to speak to and discuss matters regarding my health with my GP surgery as and when necessary." He then listed his and my Mum's names, ensured my Nan understood it and had her sign it. Our GP surgery accepted this so hopefully it will be this straightforward for you too :)

Hi Claire.

Many thanks for your reply and advice.

Peter.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Hi there!

I too drafted a very simple letter, got him to sign it, and posted it to the GP.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Peter T.
a warm welcome to DTP

such a letter will hopefully mean that the GP will discuss your father's situation with you

however, there is nothing to stop you writing to the GP, even without permission, giving details of the changes you have noticed and your concerns ...GPs have to note information provided by family, though they may not be able to discuss it due to patient confidentiality and sometimes are unable to act without the co-operation of the patient themselves

StephW

Sep 22, 2020
I rang my Mum's Surgery and and explained that she was clearly showing signs of dementia and asked the receptionist if the GP could ring me. She did this and then arranged an appointment with my parents direct and came out to see my Mum.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
hi @Peter T.
a warm welcome to DTP

such a letter will hopefully mean that the GP will discuss your father's situation with you

however, there is nothing to stop you writing to the GP, even without permission, giving details of the changes you have noticed and your concerns ...GPs have to note information provided by family, though they may not be able to discuss it due to patient confidentiality and sometimes are unable to act without the co-operation of the patient themselves

This is what I did and our surgery which is supposed to be one of the best in my area chose to ignore it!

MaNaAk

Peter T.

Sep 23, 2020
hi @Peter T.
a warm welcome to DTP

Hello Shedrech.

Thanks for your advice. At the moment, i'd simply like to raise my concerns with his GP regarding Dads memory loss. Hopefully it will set in motion a diagnosis and help, as i feel that in time, my Mum will need support too.
Dad has never been one for going to the doctors, but i feel his deteriating state of memory needs at least to be raised with his GP.

Thank you.

Peter T.

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my message. Your comments are very much appreciated.
I will be visiting my parents next week and will discuss drafting a letter with them then get it sent to their GP.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my message. Your comments are very much appreciated.
I will be visiting my parents next week and will discuss drafting a letter with them then get it sent to their GP.
Speed of of the essence for me so I wrote short note and dad signed it. That got us through until I got LPA :)