Possible problem?

Matt_W

Sep 22, 2020
My wife woke after a brief sleep over the weekend and had a full conversation with me believing I was a friend of hers.
The conversation lasted for about 5 minutes in which we discussed a conversation I'd had with her the day before. She was talking clearly and in full connected sentences, on some occasions she kept coming back to a comment I had made earlier, before I had realised what was happening. I also left the room after she became agitated and re entered about a minute later only to be told again to leave as her husband (me) would be back shortly I left for a second time for several minutes and on entering the room she recognised me as myself saying she'd had a very strange dream. My wife is in her mid fifties.
Should I be concerned ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Matt_W
a warm welcome to DTP

you clearly are concerned, so it would be worth having a cnat with your wife's GP and having her checked over
there could be many explanations for the experience you describe, so don't jump to assuming anything .... I hope the GP can reassure you

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I would be concerned. It's a good idea to keep a diary of things like this, including when they happen, how often, etc. Can you think of other odd things or lapses?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
My wife woke after a brief sleep over the weekend and had a full conversation with me believing I was a friend of hers.
The conversation lasted for about 5 minutes in which we discussed a conversation I'd had with her the day before. She was talking clearly and in full connected sentences, on some occasions she kept coming back to a comment I had made earlier, before I had realised what was happening. I also left the room after she became agitated and re entered about a minute later only to be told again to leave as her husband (me) would be back shortly I left for a second time for several minutes and on entering the room she recognised me as myself saying she'd had a very strange dream. My wife is in her mid fifties.
Should I be concerned ?
Hello Matt_W, as Shedrech says, itcould be many things. One thing could be delirium, which should be treated promptly, so please don't be fobbed of by a GP. We had a difficult experience with delirium, absolutely not helped by the fact that either the hospital failed to diagnose it, or failed to tell us what they thought it was. It is really important that the family / friends of the person are involved, so that they can give a baseline "normal". My mother was much older than your wife, and it was clearly assumed that dementia was her normal mental state.

Matt_W

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for your replies, this is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this although my wife's memory is questionable and on regular occasions her personality can be totally different from one moment to the next, I've been a little concerned about this but the incident the other day just puzzled me. I will talk to the doctor but I doubt she will agree to make an appointment, she's terrified of them. If she doesn't agree what can I do ?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
As I said, keep a diary of the odd behaviours/memory loss/personality changes. Send it to her GP and ask that the GP calls her in on the pretext of a well-woman check up or something similar. The GP cannot discuss your wife with you without her permission but will have to read anything you send in expressing your concerns. They have a duty of care.

Matt_W

Sep 22, 2020
As I said, keep a diary of the odd behaviours/memory loss/personality changes. Send it to her GP and ask that the GP calls her in on the pretext of a well-woman check up or something similar. The GP cannot discuss your wife with you without her permission but will have to read anything you send in expressing your concerns. They have a duty of care.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I will keep a diary