Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salma

Sep 19, 2020
Hi JMW
I have no idea on the drugs, I wasn't even informed ever that drugs were available. I've since learned from my sister in Greece that her mum in law is on some drug (I will ask my sis if she knows) that has stunted this insidious disease. What I can tell you is that my sister has witnessed the regression of this Amazonian woman we call mum happen much quicker without the drugs. I'm no fan of Big Pharma, but perhaps do research for alternative meds that can help because without them, you lose your mum too early and unexpectedly. I love my mum, and myself and my siblings had to accept the loss of the woman we knew our whole lives to 'always be there' , to 'sometimes... Maybe, be there' .
Raised as a Muslim and my mum dedicating her life to us (we believe heaven lies under your mother's feet), not looking after her is not an option... But I do wish I had a bit more time to prep. I'm loving giving back to mum, I'd never thought I'd see the day ?.
Educate yourself and take care of your mum... It's not easy, it's definitely a labour of love. And Alzeimers. org gave me a great deal of insight into every aspect of the disease. I wish you everything of the best. God bless ?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hello.
My mum has just been prescribed donezepil after being assessed at home about two weeks ago, by her local memory clinic.
I have this information from her over the phone, she has not explicitly told me her diagnosis. She has been experiencing gradually increasing thinking and memory problems for a few years, she was assessed by memory health services two years ago. She was 80 years old last May. I haven't seen her since Christmas but we speak on the phone regularly. She lives alone and has one or two friends that she sees and occasionally my nephew. Of course I am concerned about how to do my best by her.
I have joined this forum as a starting point as I'm sure I'll be seeking information and advice at some point soon.
By the way, she told me today that she hasn't started on the meds yet as she has read all the side effects and it's put her off. She remembers her sister (now deceased) , taking the same drug and is fearful of incontinence.

Welcome to TP @JMW1
You come to the right place for information & advice so please keep posting.

JMW1

Sep 19, 2020
Hi JMW
I have no idea on the drugs, I wasn't even informed ever that drugs were available. I've since learned from my sister in Greece that her mum in law is on some drug (I will ask my sis if she knows) that has stunted this insidious disease. What I can tell you is that my sister has witnessed the regression of this Amazonian woman we call mum happen much quicker without the drugs. I'm no fan of Big Pharma, but perhaps do research for alternative meds that can help because without them, you lose your mum too early and unexpectedly. I love my mum, and myself and my siblings had to accept the loss of the woman we knew our whole lives to 'always be there' , to 'sometimes... Maybe, be there' .
Raised as a Muslim and my mum dedicating her life to us (we believe heaven lies under your mother's feet), not looking after her is not an option... But I do wish I had a bit more time to prep. I'm loving giving back to mum, I'd never thought I'd see the day ?.
Educate yourself and take care of your mum... It's not easy, it's definitely a labour of love. And Alzeimers. org gave me a great deal of insight into every aspect of the disease. I wish you everything of the best. God bless ?
thank you for the encouragement ??

LouiseM73

Sep 20, 2020
Hi! My name is Louise, I am 46 and live in Germany. My mother is 75 and lives alone in Surrey UK. Her memory was rapdily worsening and I was waiting to be able to get over to see her and get her some help and some repairs done on her house. In the last two weeks we have had a roller coaster of visitors and telephone calls with doctors. She finally has the diagnosis that I feared, but expected. Dementia is scarey and I am waiting to hear the extend of the damage when she has a new MRI done. I am terrified what is going to happen in her / our future and I need to know that I have done all I can. My anxiety and guilt and depression is really affecting my daily life, job and relationship. I am hoping to get some support, tips and understanding in this group, as I feel very alone and helpless.. when is it the right time to think of a nursing home? How can I be sure she is being monitored, knowing I fought for a couple of years to get her doctors to properly look at her. I'm flying back to Germany to my job, husband and daughter today..

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi! My name is Louise, I am 46 and live in Germany. My mother is 75 and lives alone in Surrey UK. Her memory was rapdily worsening and I was waiting to be able to get over to see her and get her some help and some repairs done on her house. In the last two weeks we have had a roller coaster of visitors and telephone calls with doctors. She finally has the diagnosis that I feared, but expected. Dementia is scarey and I am waiting to hear the extend of the damage when she has a new MRI done. I am terrified what is going to happen in her / our future and I need to know that I have done all I can. My anxiety and guilt and depression is really affecting my daily life, job and relationship. I am hoping to get some support, tips and understanding in this group, as I feel very alone and helpless.. when is it the right time to think of a nursing home? How can I be sure she is being monitored, knowing I fought for a couple of years to get her doctors to properly look at her. I'm flying back to Germany to my job, husband and daughter today..

Welcome to TP @LouiseM73
You’ve come to the right place for support, tips & understanding. Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

nickwh

Sep 20, 2020
Hello! My mum(103) was diagnosed with dementia during lockdown. She has gone downhill since having a hip operation in 2016, immediately after which she had delerium. Her short term memory had been getting worse. Then during lockdown because she was unable to go anywhere, she stopped washing, dressing and generally caring for herself. Things got so bad that we had to call an ambulance because she lost mobility. Urgent care response came and sorted out her washing, dressing and mobility for a week before getting in a lady carer to take over the washing and dressing. She won't let me do it and I understand why. We have no other relations in the UK so no one to call for help. I wasn't surprised by the diagnosis especially given her age, which was by one of the Urgent Care Response nurses. Fortunately, the lady carer has had excellent training. I live with my mum so after the carer leaves, it's down to me. Respite care is out of the question as the majority of CV19 deaths have been in care homes, albeit imported from the general hospital when increasing the bed availability plus mum is resolute that she "will be ok at home". She is also on a zimmer so carrying food or a hot drink is out of the question. Living on the outskirts of the county is a problem as all the facilities are based at the county town of Exeter so minimal services either at the local hospital(no beds) or Devon Carers events.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @nickwh.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s situation. It’s really heartbreaking. I’m glad you found this forum and know that you will get lots of help and support here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976