Mum been prescribed Memantine .... info re effects please

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Hi, my mum has moderate Alzheimers which includes hallucinations sometimes, especially at night. I am so relieved that she has finally been prescribed something to help with her symptoms, but unsure if the drug slows the rate of Alzheimers down? I think I have read somewhere that it can help slow the progression down for up to a year. Is this correct please? If so, what happens after the year... will mum decline rapidly? I feel on the one hand help has been offered, but on the other hand I am totally unsure what to expect from the drug and how long lasting any improvement will be. Any information or personal experiences would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @vaana , my mum was diagnosed with moderate Alzheimers and put straight on to Memantine just over 3 years ago. It doesn’t slow down the disease it helps control the symptoms I believe . Mum has been stable on it and no side effects , she is calm and happy most of the time , she was taken off it a year ago as a trial by Gp and the effect was devastating almost overnight , she was promptly put back on it by myself but we never got her back to where she was before . Hope it works well for your mum and she has no side effects ?

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Hi @vaana , my mum was diagnosed with moderate Alzheimers and put straight on to Memantine just over 3 years ago. It doesn’t slow down the disease it helps control the symptoms I believe . Mum has been stable on it and no side effects , she is calm and happy most of the time , she was taken off it a year ago as a trial by Gp and the effect was devastating almost overnight , she was promptly put back on it by myself but we never got her back to where she was before . Hope it works well for your mum and she has no side effects ?
Thank you Woo2. That's really reassuring and I hope it helps my mum as well as yours. A shame it doesn't slow the progression though.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It is a shame yes , there a few threads on here about Memantine , if you search they should come up , on the whole there is positive stories about it.

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
Hi Vanna,

My mum has had a recent diagnosis of mixed dementia ( vascular and Alzheimer’s) and has been put on Memantine. I was told it was to help with the delusions she has.
I’ve not noticed any side effects. The visual delusions she was having (seeing children playing in the house and garden etc) have stopped but there has been no noticeable reduction in her thinking that people on TV and pictures on magazine and book covers are directly interacting with her.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Hi Vanna,

My mum has had a recent diagnosis of mixed dementia ( vascular and Alzheimer’s) and has been put on Memantine. I was told it was to help with the delusions she has.
I’ve not noticed any side effects. The visual delusions she was having (seeing children playing in the house and garden etc) have stopped but there has been no noticeable reduction in her thinking that people on TV and pictures on magazine and book covers are directly interacting with her.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Im sorry to hear that. Its such a horrible disease isn't it. Just got back ftom mums. She was in floods of tears as has just 'found out' her parents are dead. They died 20 and 25 years ago. Just heartbreaking that she is grieving all over again ?

Maeny

Feb 28, 2020
This works really well for my nan, it doesn't improve things in terms of memory, but almost clears her thinking a little and reduces her anxiety. This allows her to exist more freely in the moment. Sadly she's never been good at taking tablets so misses doses often. The difference is really noticeable on those days.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@vaana about your mother just finding out her parents died, my mother did the same thing. I quickly learned to respond that her parents were 'just fine, same as always', which in their case meant dead for the last 30+ years. If I were you, I would tell everyone who visits not to say her parents are dead. You are quite right, for her it's hearing it for the first time and all the raw grief that brings.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Thanks Joanne, that's good advice. We're just learning what to say and what not.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
This works really well for my nan, it doesn't improve things in terms of memory, but almost clears her thinking a little and reduces her anxiety. This allows her to exist more freely in the moment. Sadly she's never been good at taking tablets so misses doses often. The difference is really noticeable on those days.

vaana

Jan 1, 2020
Thank you Maeny. So pleased its really helping your nan. I'm really hoping it will help mum too

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister