This is the beginning of the end

Pixiedust1

Jan 4, 2016
Im struggling at the moment, this week my mum who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 5 years ago has suddenly stopped being able to stand so is now bed bound, she’s refusing solid foods so I’ve been blitzing stuff and she’s only eating tiny amounts and drinking at most 2 full drinks a day, and is constantly making a groaning sound, and when we touch her or move her she panics, we’ve been moving her every 2 hours as the dr suggested due to the mattress she’s on she’s prone to pressure sores, we have a triage Phone call this Tuesday, I’m just scared that this is it and I’m not ready to say goodbye ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read this @Pixiedust1.

I hope you have support for yourself at this difficult time. Thinking of you and wishing you strength.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Im struggling at the moment, this week my mum who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 5 years ago has suddenly stopped being able to stand so is now bed bound, she’s refusing solid foods so I’ve been blitzing stuff and she’s only eating tiny amounts and drinking at most 2 full drinks a day, and is constantly making a groaning sound, and when we touch her or move her she panics, we’ve been moving her every 2 hours as the dr suggested due to the mattress she’s on she’s prone to pressure sores, we have a triage Phone call this Tuesday, I’m just scared that this is it and I’m not ready to say goodbye ?
So sorry my ho as vasscala 4 and half year and became bed bound june this year hosted in chair if wonted can not stand at all have cares 4 times a day.he was told he needs to drink 8 mugs of fluids a day to stop deidrating as he would be ill with out i am having to tip it down him or he would only drink a little .can your mum drink more

Pixiedust1

Jan 4, 2016
So sorry my ho as vasscala 4 and half year and became bed bound june this year hosted in chair if wonted can not stand at all have cares 4 times a day.he was told he needs to drink 8 mugs of fluids a day to stop deidrating as he would be ill with out i am having to tip it down him or he would only drink a little .can your mum drink more
I try all day to give her more but she just spits it out, it’s horrible seeing it and seeing her struggle and I’ve not stopped crying since Wednesday, if only there was a cure all button

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Very sorry to read, especially when you know that drinking liquid might alleviate her slightly.

When my mum was ill with the flu a couple of years ago she became severely dehydrated and became very delirious; now mum's dementia at that time wasn't as severe as it is today, but even back then I really felt like mum was in death throes, and I didn't know about dehydration back then.

Of course when we went the doctor, they recognised straight away that she was dehydrated and said to go across the road to Morrisons and buy a 2 litre bottle of Volvic and have her drink it. Well I just about managed it and she perked up.

If/when mum declines to the point where she needs that level of liquid today... it will just be totally impossible to administer. And I can't imagine how it must feel ?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My mother too is refusing to eat properly. She is in a care home but this goes back a lot longer to when she was at her own home. I believe the CH staff try to encourage her to eat but she eats far too little and is losing about 1/4 stone a month, which can only lead to one outcome. No diagnosis of dementia but fairly clear. Hard to know what can be done, people can't be force-fed.

Pixiedust1

Jan 4, 2016
Just giving you all a quick update, mum suddenly passed away Monday afternoon, she was comfortable and asleep while holding my hand so she wasn’t alone ?, I just feel like I could have done more to help her.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Sorry to hear your sad news. It will be difficult for a little while. You could not have done more, you were with her at the end which is a blessing.
Please now take care of yourself.

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
Just giving you all a quick update, mum suddenly passed away Monday afternoon, she was comfortable and asleep while holding my hand so she wasn’t alone ?, I just feel like I could have done more to help her.
Sorry to hear your news. At least it was peaceful and you were with her.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
So sorry x i’m sure it meant a lot to both of you to hold her hand and that she was comfortable and with someone she loved. Sending love and sympathy xxx

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
So sorry to hear your sad news , sending hugs and my condolences to you and your family , sounds a very peaceful passing for you and your mum . Take care xx