LPOA and bank accounts

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hi my mum is in the process of a dementia diagnosis and has asked me to take over paying bills etc but she still wants to be able to use her debit card. I have LPOA and I am just filling in the forms for Barclays. If I tick the box that says she still has capacity will she be able to use her card whilst I pay her bills on line?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Welcome to Tp @Linsac , if you tell them she hasn’t capacity they will stop her being able to use her account so yes tick that box .

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Can you keep a limited amount in the account she will be using to prevent large withdrawals and also scrape off her security number from the back (after taking note of what it is) so that she can’t be scammed on the phone or elsewhere.

Best regards

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Welcome to Tp @Linsac , if you tell them she hasn’t capacity they will stop her being able to use her account so yes tick that box .
Thank you, I thought as much. After being put on hold for 1.5 hours to speak to the Barclays 3rd party access dept I didn't relish having to call them again to ask!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Hmm interesting. Dad had LPA so I could help him with the things he didn't have capacity for, and his bank gave me access to his account, but he still used his debit card. You're supposed to let the donor do as much as they can on their own. I don't recall being asked if he had capacity or not! Dad's stopped using his card now, seems to have been forgotten, so I suppose now he doesn't have capacity. He doesn't go anywhere so he's not likely to lose it!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
All our banks asked , we said yes had capacity as she only went out accompanied and it was only for lunch or shopping with friends /family , she never wants to pay anyway but I didn’t want that option taken away from her ,was explained we could call or drop in and change it anytime if necessary and they would block her cards . 1.5 hrs gee , no wonder you didn’t fancy another call .

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother's bank didn't ask if my mother still had capacity, but they asked if I would like her to retain access to her account or not.

I said yes, because she liked to go into her local branch and withdraw small amounts of cash for her grocery shopping. I monitored the account online so I would have been aware if anything untoward happened (in which case I would have rescinded her access). I also arranged for all post connected to the account to come to my address.

This was done in a face to face meeting in the branch, which I am guessing isn't happening so much nowadays.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I have just got PoA for my brother (not dementia) and he wants to retain use of his bank card which I agree with as he is sensible with money. However, if I go into the bank to do any transaction for him such as transferring money etc. with his agreement (he has both mobility and mental health issues and would find standing in queues difficult), I understand I will have to show proof of identity. I bank with the same building society as him so I can show my card but do I have to also show either a passport or driving licence as I have neither? I am thinking of getting a passport for proof of identity as I know it is useful for many things.

On another point, there is now a facility where you can have the details of the LPA recorded on the government website; it gives you a code and you can give this to whoever the person banks with and, I presume, DWP, so that they can access an online summary of it. I wonder if this is sufficient or whether they will still want to see the original LPA. This seems to be a relatively new service so I don't know whether financial institutions etc. are aware of it. Has anyone used this service and did they have any problems?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
there is now a facility where you can have the details of the LPA recorded on the government website; it gives you a code and you can give this to whoever the person banks with and, I presume, DWP,

Only for LPAs recently registered with the OPG

'Donors and attorneys with LPAs registered from 17 July 2020 will be able to use the online service. We plan to open up the service to LPAs registered earlier in 2020 and some from 2019, but we do not have a date for this yet.

We do not have plans yet for opening up the service to LPAs registered before this time, however, we are actively looking at how we might do this. '

https://publicguardian.blog.gov.uk/...-new-use-a-lasting-power-of-attorney-service/ .

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Yes, I knew it was new, @nitram - I just wondered if anyone who has recently registered an LPA had used it. I started the process just before lockdown and it has just come through now so I imagine not much longer than usual. I did have problems with the OPG though, twice they thought there were missing parts and I had to impress on them they were completed and they had to go back to the orginals which they had failed to scan. This must have delayed the process somewhat.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@nita
I did not want members with LPAs already registered trying to get the code and simply delaying things whilst finding out they could not.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
New OPG service for NEWLY registered LPAs

Point taken, @nitram

I did a little search and found this from a Which Report:

"HSBC told us it’s using a new service from the OPG. The OPG issues a code to the customer, who passes it on to the bank. The bank is then able to see a summary of the LPA without the customer having to post, scan or take LPA documents into a branch."

There's quite a lot of information on how the banks require you to register and manage an LPA.

It seems I can take the original into the branch in some cases. I am reluctant to post it in case it gets lost even if it's tracked and traced. I could get a copy but my brother is reluctant to sign every page with the required wording.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/0...allow-online-power-of-attorney-registrations/ - Which?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
New OPG service for NEWLY registered LPAs

Point taken, @nitram

I did a little search and found this from a Which Report:

"HSBC told us it’s using a new service from the OPG. The OPG issues a code to the customer, who passes it on to the bank. The bank is then able to see a summary of the LPA without the customer having to post, scan or take LPA documents into a branch."

There's quite a lot of information on how the banks require you to register and manage an LPA.

It seems I can take the original into the branch in some cases. I am reluctant to post it in case it gets lost even if it's tracked and traced. I could get a copy but my brother is reluctant to sign every page with the required wording.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/0...allow-online-power-of-attorney-registrations/ - Which?
Hi. You can also get certified copies from the job centre (when it opens) . They sign it for you. I thought this might be helpful in the future.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Drat, my own LPAs were registered in May this year so not yet part of this new inniative.. I know my children, as Attorneys, would find it useful, they are very used to doing everything online and found the LPA process very old fashioned! But hopefully they will add mine soon.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Re your proof of identity, I got my passport for this very reason, I haven't been abroad for years but it is useful ID. When dealing with LPA issues I was sometimes asked for passport/driving licence plus a utility bill.

If you want certified copies of the LPA, a solicitor will provide them for you (they make a charge, my mother's solicitor charged £25 per copy). I had several certified copies made, so I could send them in the post as necessary (I had to send out quite a few copies, e.g. to my mother's landlords, the DWP re Attendance Allowance, various financial institutions). They are supposed to return them to you but I only had about 1 in 2 returned. So definitely don't let the original out of your sight.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to ring my solicitor and ask how much she charges for certified copies. I think I can visit her alone with the document and my brother, as donor, won't have to go. Is this correct?

Despite its obvious ease of use, I have a feeling that the banks and building society I deal with won't accept the online access code as it's only to a simplified version not the whole LPA. It would be good if they would accept a scanned document online but I have a feeling that's not acceptable either.

Reading about this, it seems a lot of institutions aren't familiar with PoA and insist on the original LPA which I am not going to send by post. It seems really hard to find the department in each one that actually deals with this, instead you are reliant on the knowledge of the counter staff but hopefully they will refer to their legal department and give me the correct information about their requirements.

Especially nowadays as more people become aware of the benefits of having an attorney in place, you would hope that this whole process would become easier.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I will be using the new system when my father's LPA is registered, which should be soon. I will let others know how I get on.

I've been registering my mother's Enduring POA with a number of financial institutions as she has relationships with quite a few. They vary from fair to bad with some having
Re your proof of identity, I got my passport for this very reason, I haven't been abroad for years but it is useful ID. When dealing with LPA issues I was sometimes asked for passport/driving licence plus a utility bill.

If you want certified copies of the LPA, a solicitor will provide them for you (they make a charge, my mother's solicitor charged £25 per copy). I had several certified copies made, so I could send them in the post as necessary (I had to send out quite a few copies, e.g. to my mother's landlords, the DWP re Attendance Allowance, various financial institutions). They are supposed to return them to you but I only had about 1 in 2 returned. So definitely don't let the original out of your sight.
Good advice but I got a cut price 15 copies for £90!!!

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to ring my solicitor and ask how much she charges for certified copies. I think I can visit her alone with the document and my brother, as donor, won't have to go. Is this correct?

Despite its obvious ease of use, I have a feeling that the banks and building society I deal with won't accept the online access code as it's only to a simplified version not the whole LPA. It would be good if they would accept a scanned document online but I have a feeling that's not acceptable either.

Reading about this, it seems a lot of institutions aren't familiar with PoA and insist on the original LPA which I am not going to send by post. It seems really hard to find the department in each one that actually deals with this, instead you are reliant on the knowledge of the counter staff but hopefully they will refer to their legal department and give me the correct information about their requirements.

Especially nowadays as more people become aware of the benefits of having an attorney in place, you would hope that this whole process would become easier.

I rang round several solicitors and found one that only charged £5 to certify a copy. I dropped the originals off one day and collected them and the certified copies the next day.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I tried to renew my passport as it expires in Dec but wanted it for identity. Unless the situation has changed in the last 2 weeks it seemed pretty impossible. Fortunately the driving license is valid.
I also paid £25.00 for a certified copy of the LPA. I followed advise on here and I put a post it note on the actual certified copy when sending asking that it is returned, as well as asking in the letter.
I don’t think I have come across the same process for any of the financial institution yet and I am on about number 10 currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson