Telephone appointment with doctors

Pk9537

Aug 9, 2020
I recently had an telephone appointment with the doctors on behalf of my mother totally out of the blue we hadn’t had time to prepare mom in anyway and it completely upset mom to the point that she threw her lunch across the table , I understood that we are in different times but please doctors if anyone has Alzheimer’s please please let’s have face to face appointments it took me several hours to calm her down particularly after the doctor asked if she would like to be resuscitated if she went into hospital, it was so sad she now thinks she is going into hospital?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Pk9537.

That does seem insensitive. We have has two telephone consultations during the lockdown and the medics have spoken to me to get the general picture before having only a brief chat with my wife.

I hope things settle for your mother and that you keep posting here for support.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
To have that conversation with someone who has full mental capacity and is fully aware of their medical conditions is hard enough. To ask the same questions of a person who has dementia is just thoughtless.

It never ceases to amaze me how many top medical people (I'm thinking of you, Mr Up-Himself Senior Neuro Consultant at the hospital my mother was at...) just don't have a clue about dementia.

@Pk9537 if I were you I would make a complaint.

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
To have that conversation with someone who has full mental capacity and is fully aware of their medical conditions is hard enough. To ask the same questions of a person who has dementia is just thoughtless.

It never ceases to amaze me how many top medical people (I'm thinking of you, Mr Up-Himself Senior Neuro Consultant at the hospital my mother was at...) just don't have a clue about dementia.

Oh dear. I think you're talking about the same neurologist that my hubby has. Or are they all like that!!

Pk9537

Aug 9, 2020

Hi
I would make a complaint but unfortunately I can’t get through to speak to the practice manager as I’m usually around 49/50 th in the queue , I am so frustrated with it all we couldn’t get any help at the height of the pandemic no PPE no food parcels nothing We were out there shopping and everything not knowing what we were taking back to her thank goodness she hasn’t shown any symptoms.