Covid guideline and providing support.

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, as we begin the easing measures of lockdown I'm confused as what the rules are when supporting my Mum who has Alzheimer's disease. She lives with my Dad and I help them both, which has been difficult as I don't live with them, but I've provided respite giving Dad a break by just sitting in the garden, and done things like grocery shops etc. However, Mum needs her haircut and I usually take her (she hasn't had a cut this year) and Dad has been feeling very depressed recently and requesting more support from me, and yes, I want to offer more help! I have scanned the whole covid rules and I can't find any areas regarding caring/supporting elderly parents like you can for other sectors. Does anyone know what we are allowed to do? Are we allowed to connect in a bubble of 2 households to provide more support for parents or is that just for single people? Many thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Dexter5 The covid guidance is not always easy to understand or find but essentially, if you live alone you can form a support bubble with your parents. This means that you can visit/support them without needing to maintain social distancing.

Since the 'bubble' rules were announced there's been a further lifting of restrictions and 2 households can now meet indoors - even if they are not in a support bubble - although even inside someone's home you should socially distance from anyone not in your household or bubble. You should only have close contact if you are in a bubble.

So if you're not in a single household you can provide support for your parents but you just need to be careful to maintain social distancing and follow the other standard infection control procedures such as frequently washing your hands, avoid using their toilet or sharing utensils, frequently wipe down surfaces etc:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-people-from-outside-your-household-from-4-july

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
No sadly for them I'm not single so I'll have to do the latter. Sorry for asking, do you know about eating together? Is it better to continue to take my own food and drink, or are we allowed to eat a prepared meal together?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There's nothing in the guidance about not being able to eat a prepared meal together, and you can take your parents to a restaurant if you wanted to, so I can't see how that would be any different to eating a prepared meal with them at home. The guidance is all about minimising the risks so just be as careful as you can when visiting your parents, preparing the meal and sharing food/drink etc:

Sharing food and drink
You should try, wherever possible, not to pass each other food or drink unless you live together or are in a support bubble together. You should ensure that plates or utensils are thoroughly cleaned before use. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds and use disposable towels if possible.

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
H
There's nothing in the guidance about not being able to eat a prepared meal together, and you can take your parents to a restaurant if you wanted to, so I can't see how that would be any different to eating a prepared meal with them at home. The guidance is all about minimising the risks so just be as careful as you can when visiting your parents, preparing the meal and sharing food/drink etc:

Sharing food and drink
You should try, wherever possible, not to pass each other food or drink unless you live together or are in a support bubble together. You should ensure that plates or utensils are thoroughly cleaned before use. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds and use disposable towels if possible.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi, as we begin the easing measures of lockdown I'm confused as what the rules are when supporting my Mum who has Alzheimer's disease. She lives with my Dad and I help them both, which has been difficult as I don't live with them, but I've provided respite giving Dad a break by just sitting in the garden, and done things like grocery shops etc. However, Mum needs her haircut and I usually take her (she hasn't had a cut this year) and Dad has been feeling very depressed recently and requesting more support from me, and yes, I want to offer more help! I have scanned the whole covid rules and I can't find any areas regarding caring/supporting elderly parents like you can for other sectors. Does anyone know what we are allowed to do? Are we allowed to connect in a bubble of 2 households to provide more support for parents or is that just for single people? Many thanks
Hi. I care for my mum in her house and dad with dementia in his. I’m both their carers as I’m needed in both.
I’m just careful . I eat and cook for both. The difference is I’m single but live with my daughter. It is very confusing though isn’t it?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Or you could, of course, just say “Rats to the all the ‘advice’” and give them all the support they need.
Just my point of view ‘cos we are all going to have to live with this Coronavirus for a good while yet and so far the Govt. announcements have only been advisory , not laws as far as I am aware.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Or you could, of course, just say “Rats to the all the ‘advice’” and give them all the support they need.
Just my point of view ‘cos we are all going to have to live with this Coronavirus for a good while yet and so far the Govt. announcements have only been advisory , not laws as far as I am aware.
Totally agree.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We have always been permitted to care for vulnerable people through the lockdown, making daily care visits just as paid carers would do. Just take sensible precautions to protect your parents as I am sure you do.

Dexter5

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks all, yes filtering all the information gathered and providing the support that I feel they both need. It's so woolly, I've been feeling that we are the forgotten ones. I think I'm doing the right thing and then the guidelines suggest otherwise. I'll go with my instincts now and do my best, can't do anything else than that. Thanks for all the reassurance x