Fast weightloss

Angie25

Jul 24, 2020
Hi all,
I am looking for advice on weight loss. Mum was over 11 stone just 8 months ago, and in the last 4 months she has lost 2 stone 10 pound in weight. Now many say it's normal with Alzheimer's but it seems so much so quick. Just this last week she has lost 2lb.
Her GP has done a whole range of bloods which were ok, an ultrasound of the abdomen and a chest x-ray. All were ok, but the gp still has major concerns but said due to her advanced stage and agitation invasive tests are not fair and all they are doing is for info only anyway. We keep being told by others it's due to her not eating, but my Dad cares for mum at home and he cooks. She has toast every morning for breakfast, beans on toast every lunchtime and then a huge plate of mash potato with beans and quiche or cheese pasty. She also eats biscuits and chocolate and cake through the day too.
Has anyone experienced this weight loss and found answers. We know her gp suspects cancer of some form but knowing where is almost impossible....the not knowing is so hard. The picture I've attached is 8 months apart.
Thank you and apologies for the long post.

Attachments

• collagemaker_202082145235757.jpg
    collagemaker_202082145235757.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 522

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Sorry to hear about your concerns about your mum.
My mother lost a lot of weight quite quickly, but it was genuinely because she didn't remember to eat, as she lived alone with no one to prompt her - it was the reason I got carers in, to ensure she was supervised at mealtimes. It's quite common so I can understand why some people have suggested that is the reason, but if your dad knows she's eating well it can't be that.

It seems unfair to put your mum through invasive tests, especially as she probably wouldn't be able to tolerate any treatment. Does she seem to show any pain or have any other symptoms? I can understand how difficult it must be to feel you can't help her.

Angie25

Jul 24, 2020
Sorry to hear about your concerns about your mum.
My mother lost a lot of weight quite quickly, but it was genuinely because she didn't remember to eat, as she lived alone with no one to prompt her - it was the reason I got carers in, to ensure she was supervised at mealtimes. It's quite common so I can understand why some people have suggested that is the reason, but if your dad knows she's eating well it can't be that.

It seems unfair to put your mum through invasive tests, especially as she probably wouldn't be able to tolerate any treatment. Does she seem to show any pain or have any other symptoms? I can understand how difficult it must be to feel you can't help her.
Thank you.
Both Dad and myself agree anything invasive or treatments would not be right for her. She doesn't seem to be in pain other than general aches. It's so hard to see her get thinner and not know or have answers. She collapsed a couple of weeks ago but doctor thinks that was low blood pressure and she has severe anaemia. She also is not drinking much so the passing out could be dehydration but we can't get her to do a urine sample.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
To get her to do a urine sample.
Put up the toilet seat.
Drape sheet after sheet of cling film into the well, creating a bowl within the toilet bowl.
Replace the toilet seat.
Wait until she goes to the toilet, then rush in before she is able to flush the chain.
Scoop up the urine sample from the well.
Pierce the well with a knife, then discard the cling film.
Make sure the knife goes into the dishwasher!
Beware, if the toilet chain gets flushed before you can prevent it, the whole exercise can end in disaster!!!!!!!!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Worrying isnt it.
My Dad is losing weight at the moment. Not rapidly, but I dont always get to see him eating and have to judge on what groceries he buys and what is left over by the following week.
He is due in hospital for a Urological procedure but gas clinical signs if prostate cancer too but they wont do a biopsy.
The anaemia indicates ( other than a diet low in iron or unable to absorb iron) that there could be internal bleeding.
Very difficult without a colonoscopy/gastroscopy or CT colonography.... and even defficient Vit B12.

How are her bowel motions?
Could be worth doing a fecal test to see if blood is present.
Does she have reflux or general tummy issues?

Angie25

Jul 24, 2020
Thank you both and the cling film idea is great. We have the sample bottle, just need a wee!! Will try that when I go over.
I think her gp suspects bowel cancer and has given dad a kit to again try and get a sample. He doesn't see her movements so is unsure whether they are loose or not. I do know about a year ago she would take immodium tablets most days... I will see if we can get both done this week. Thank you.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi , I ordered a few of the cardboard bed pans that hospitals used off age uk site and the testing strips and I just told mum that because of Covid we were all testing our wee. It worked very well , I sat it in the toilet and as it was at the top if she had of flushed it wouldn’t have got in to pot anyway , I will use that again to fill the sample bottle up for Gp as mum couldn’t do a sample either .

Angie25

Jul 24, 2020
Hi , I ordered a few of the cardboard bed pans that hospitals used off age uk site and the testing strips and I just told mum that because of Covid we were all testing our wee. It worked very well , I sat it in the toilet and as it was at the top if she had of flushed it wouldn’t have got in to pot anyway , I will use that again to fill the sample bottle up for Gp as mum couldn’t do a sample either .
Thank you, I'll look into getting these as I'm sure it'll happen again. She's already had a uti in April.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Hi all,
I am looking for advice on weight loss. Mum was over 11 stone just 8 months ago, and in the last 4 months she has lost 2 stone 10 pound in weight. Now many say it's normal with Alzheimer's but it seems so much so quick. Just this last week she has lost 2lb.
Her GP has done a whole range of bloods which were ok, an ultrasound of the abdomen and a chest x-ray. All were ok, but the gp still has major concerns but said due to her advanced stage and agitation invasive tests are not fair and all they are doing is for info only anyway. We keep being told by others it's due to her not eating, but my Dad cares for mum at home and he cooks. She has toast every morning for breakfast, beans on toast every lunchtime and then a huge plate of mash potato with beans and quiche or cheese pasty. She also eats biscuits and chocolate and cake through the day too.
Has anyone experienced this weight loss and found answers. We know her gp suspects cancer of some form but knowing where is almost impossible....the not knowing is so hard. The picture I've attached is 8 months apart.
Thank you and apologies for the long post.
Thats sad and a worry for you. No need to apologise for a long post. I'm guilty of those but it helps to vent and the advice here is always good and a source of comfort. My brother is similar. He's never carried much weight but in the last 5 months or so, he's become very thin despite eating cereal bars between meals and having decent hot meals cooked for him every lunchtime and a light meal in the evening. I expected him to put some weight back on but he's still thin. I wonder if this condition affects the metabolism which is why your Mum is losing weight despite eating? Take care x

PammyT

Oct 25, 2019
Hi. I’m in the same situation with my mum. She’s lost two stones in the past 8/9 months, she’s 7 stone now and looks shocking. The care home staff say she’s eating well and also has supplements so it must be the disease process. This god awful disease never fails to throw distressing problems at us.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There is a screening blood test for bowel and similar cancers , CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen), has the GP tried this.