The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have become a seat, cushion or back rest. Tummy rubs and ear scratching are demanded (and given) @Bikerbeth :rolleyes:

He does look funny from the rear as he bobs along with the lampshade. He, however is not amused and is banging it against every surface possible ... particularly the backs of my legs o_O

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
He’s getting soooooo much fuss @Woo2 No doubts about who is the boss this week :eek: Bless him, he’s being pretty good about it .. except taking his meds ... he is fighting that. Last night it was wrapped in chicken ... he wises up very quickly so I’ll have to try something else tonight

Have you made any decision on Day Care yet?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Unfortunately it’s another week of the cone. The twenty plus stitches come out next week, I hope the cone can come off then, but it will depend on how well healed the scar is @reedysue

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
They do soon get wise don’t they ?! We push it in cheese , sardines, mackerel and ham just to mix it up a bit .
Hope big bro and boys and grand baby are doing ok .
Mum has been back for 3 sessions now , she was absolutely shattered Thursday and went to bed at 4.30pm and didn’t get up until 8am fri morning , seems happy enough though . I am going to drop one day though as have a new carer starting week after next and I don’t want to tire her out that much again. X

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch is very suspicious of his normal dog food, but he can’t resist chicken @Woo2 ... o_O He is very clingy, wanting (and getting), lots of cuddles. He’s been very good

Big brother is doing ok, interestingly, he spoke with one of his clients (physio for brain injury), they told him the “traditional” exercises of playing an air piano, or using a stress ball only strengthen the muscles. If you want to teach the brain to find a new path, they are not much use. However, they recommend using the weak hand only for everything, as that forces the brain to find a new path. He is now trying to do all keyboard work left handed. It’s very slow going and he says he is tiring a lot, but thinks it’s getting better slowly. He is fishing every week and tying knots on lines, manhandling the landing nets etc is also helping. So, all in all, apart from getting very tired, he seems to be doing ok

Youngest drove down last week. It was amazing to see him. He’s lost a lot of weight (he was slim before, but now ..:eek:). He’s been furloughed all this time and is struggling emotionally with having no direction. He is building bridges with eldest, so I hope he feels he has more support now

Eldest has a new woman in his life, I’ve only met her briefly, but they seem happy and she is not the usual clingy weak needy type he has gone for before. He’s also much more relaxed talking to me ... that makes things much easier for everyone

Baby Girl is growing up fast, I’ve missed six months and it feels like it’s forever. She will have to get to know me all over again when this is finally over. I know we are all in the same boat, but it is hard

That’s good news on your mum @Woo2. I guess it’s a bit like us when we start a new job ... the first month of doing something new, finding out where things are etc is exhausting. Is your mum going consecutive days, or does she has “rest” days in between? It might be something to consider while she gets back into the routine of the Day Care. Although if my mum had slept for sixteen hours I’d have been blessed with the break. Unfortunately it also makes you worry more. There is no winning ?

It’s mums anniversary next week and I’m having little wobbles. I’ve booked the day off as I’m pretty sure I’ll be pretty useless that day. It hard to think it will be two years since she left. At times it feels like a few months while on other days it feels like a lifetime ago

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
That all sounds pretty positive , glad pooch is doing ok , big bro sounds a determined fella, they do say 6-12 months to get fully back so he is doing well I would say.

Sorry to hear youngest is struggling , there are many people in the same boat (not helpful I know ) they do think this will have a huge impact on people’s mental health . Good to hear he is trying to build a better relationship with his brother , very admirable . Has he thought about self referring for talking therapy ? Or is it not something he needs .

well the new lady might bring about nice changes ? I’m glad he is feeling more able to open up . Our eldest is seeming to be a little stronger , don’t like to speak too soon and jinx ourself but signs are good .

Mum is having 2 day break in between but we have a new carer starting next week so dropping one day at DC (issues around thurs staff so it’s a blessing ) . I did enjoy the peace ?.

The anniversary seems to have come round really quick , could you and big bro do something that day ? Thinking just something low key but being together to support each other . I am for some reason really missing my dad such a lot at the moment . Sending lots of big squishy hugs for you and pooch ???? take care . X

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
That sounds a nice idea that @Woo2 mentioned. I vaguely remembered that you had gone fishing with your brother previously and enjoyed the tranquility. Could you do something like that on the anniversary?
pleased to hear that your brother continues to improve and there seems to be a determination to do so.
I am sure you are missing your granddaughter and that must be tough but glad that you had a visit from youngest. Does he have any idea when he might return to work? Although most people say they would give up work if they won the lottery, work does become so much of our identity or means to a purpose in our lives.
I also hope that eldest remains on an easier path
Hugs to Pooch and to you

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Big brother is a very determined man @Woo2 ... he is fighting to get his life back to how it was. He was very worried he would lose work over this, but his biggest client has been amazing. They just love him (sun rises and sets in him) and they are offering their expertise to help him. They may be a very big fish in their field, but they are giving him free unconditional assistance and we are both grateful

I’ve talked to youngest tonight ... suggested self referral ... he’s going to try his GP. He needs to talk things through with a stranger. I’m so proud of him for knowing he needs help and going to find it. It’s probably the hardest part ... asking for help.

I really hope your eldest is honestly feeling stronger. It’s a long road. It’s so hard on a parent to watch their child struggle and not be able to fix it straight away. Fingers, toes, knees and everything crossed that things are finally turning a corner for you all.

I’d like to do something with Big brother ... but I’m not sure he can deal with that. I might just go see dad. Right now, I’m not sure what I want to do.

Two years. It definitely dies not feel like two years.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Bikerbeth. Yes, I take big brother fishing ... but I leave him there and pick him up when he is done. The lake is peaceful. It’s beautiful. Idilic even ... for an hour ... but then practicalities butt in ... no loo ... biting insects ... so I leave him to enjoy it and go to work ?

Many say they would give up work if they didn’t need it ... but as you say, many define themselves by their jobs. Youngest is very proud of what he has achieved, climbing so high in such a short time ... providing for his family etc. He wants to get back to work, but ... he is also very worried about the health risks. He should be shielding, but the news today has taken that away. That scares me. At least he has been “safe” until now.

I know that with very little effort, the company could allow him to work from home and keep him safe. I’m tempted to ring my old Boss and threaten him with Armageddon if he doesn’t do his best for my baby :eek:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That's brilliant news @samluvit. Hope pooch doesn't have to wear the cone of shame much longer. My brother's dog always has the 'I like like a right prat in this' look on his face when he has to wear one.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Good to hear big bro has support , great too about youngest , it is indeed the hardest step . Kids .....such a worry however old they are ! Thanks we too are hopeful but realistic . Hope the day goes ok whatever you decide to do, big hugs and support being sent to you ?? ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased to hear about Pooch. Will be thinking of you this week and I am sure however you decide to spend the day it will be the right way although hard. Sending hugs to you ???