How to dispose of a stairlift?

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello,
My lovely mum sadly moved into a care home this week. It is all good and she is settling in well, thank goodness.
It's funny but when I first joined Talking Point and read other posts I found it so hard to believe that my mum would go through the stages but she did:

The double incontinence stage
The wandering stage
Hallucination stage etc etc
Now she has passed the needing to be in a care home stage and is in there. I still can't believe it!

So, coming into her house when she is not there is so weird and I have to sort it out to sell it to help pay for care which I am pretty outraged about - seems like BJ has not come up with his plan yet to save selling the house...
In the meantime, I need to remove her Handicare stairlift which is curved to fit. It's in excellent condition and 2 years old.
I know I won't get money for it but has anyone had the experience or removing a stairlift yet and can you recommend a company please.

Many thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
There are companies which sell reconditioned stairlifts. Look them up
On google and if they offer money then fine but if the just take it out of your way you can settle for that.

Greyling

Jul 25, 2020
Maybe join your local Freecycle Group (called Freegle in some areas, for legal reasons; long story) if there is one, of course. As I don't know where in the UK you live I cannot give you a link to your nearest group.
Anyhow, the principle is that first you join the group, then you post anything you cannot sell as "FREE to collector". This gets rid of a great many things of very diverse kinds. take my word for it. We emptied a whole house using this method, back in 2008-2009. Even all the HORRIBLE 30-year-old fitted carpets were collected by a lovely young couple who wanted them to kill weeds on their now allotment!

Grrrrr! Just been told by the software that I cannot post any links until I have racked up 10 posts!!!

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hello,
My lovely mum sadly moved into a care home this week. It is all good and she is settling in well, thank goodness.
It's funny but when I first joined Talking Point and read other posts I found it so hard to believe that my mum would go through the stages but she did:

The double incontinence stage
The wandering stage
Hallucination stage etc etc
Now she has passed the needing to be in a care home stage and is in there. I still can't believe it!

So, coming into her house when she is not there is so weird and I have to sort it out to sell it to help pay for care which I am pretty outraged about - seems like BJ has not come up with his plan yet to save selling the house...
In the meantime, I need to remove her Handicare stairlift which is curved to fit. It's in excellent condition and 2 years old.
I know I won't get money for it but has anyone had the experience or removing a stairlift yet and can you recommend a company please.

Many thanks.
Hi I posted mums on Ebay and got about £200 and a guy that buys them to sell on purchased it.The chap took it to pieces and removed it himself.And as previously mentioned get in touch with various companies that sell recons and see who will give the best price.
Leave it as it is until somebody comes that way they can see that it's complete and working

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi I posted mums on Ebay and got about £200 and a guy that buys them to sell on purchased it.The chap took it to pieces and removed it himself.And as previously mentioned get in touch with various companies that sell recons and see who will give the best price.
Leave it as it is until somebody comes that way they can see that it's complete and working

Wow, that is awesome. I will try that method then as it seems such a waste. Hard to believe that the firms who install dont resuse it. Thanks so much.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Maybe join your local Freecycle Group (called Freegle in some areas, for legal reasons; long story) if there is one, of course. As I don't know where in the UK you live I cannot give you a link to your nearest group.
Anyhow, the principle is that first you join the group, then you post anything you cannot sell as "FREE to collector". This gets rid of a great many things of very diverse kinds. take my word for it. We emptied a whole house using this method, back in 2008-2009. Even all the HORRIBLE 30-year-old fitted carpets were collected by a lovely young couple who wanted them to kill weeds on their now allotment!

Grrrrr! Just been told by the software that I cannot post any links until I have racked up 10 posts!!!

Thank you so much for this information , very useful indeed :)

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
There are companies which sell reconditioned stairlifts. Look them up
On google and if they offer money then fine but if the just take it out of your way you can settle for that.
Yes, there are a few, some with awful reviews but I have found a couple. Definitely going to try ebay first now though. Thank you :)

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My husband used to work for a national stairlift company and they would take it out for a fee . Can't you just contact handicare ?

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
My husband used to work for a national stairlift company and they would take it out for a fee . Can't you just contact handicare ?

I did and they said someone would contact me but they haven't and their reviews are not the best. Contacted another company and they would charge 200 pounds to remove! Thanks. If you know that the fee is less than that , can you PM me please. Many thanks.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I did and they said someone would contact me but they haven't and their reviews are not the best. Contacted another company and they would charge 200 pounds to remove! Thanks. If you know that the fee is less than that , can you PM me please. Many thanks.
Unfortunately the fee won't be as low as £200. It's a time consuming job with labour charges, taking out wiring etc a 2 man job and then fees for disposal of metals. Because the lift is bespoke made, the company my husband worked for wouldn't have reused the components, hence fees for correct disposal of metal and parts. There are firms out there who will take the lift , but only those who have the facility to recondition the components for resale. My husband's firm isn't one of those .

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I had a stairlift from Brooks(not a recommendation though they aren't bad). They sell secondhand stairlifts so if may be worth contacting them, if it is a nearly new standard model.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Update. I placed on ebay and it sold within a few hours! The buyer is collecting next week. I will update if this transaction all goes smoothly. Thanks people :)

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Update. I placed on ebay and it sold within a few hours! The buyer is collecting next week. I will update if this transaction all goes smoothly. Thanks people :)
Brilliant,I was just going to say what ever you do,don't end up paying to get it removed,then saw your final post:)

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I had a stairlift from Brooks(not a recommendation though they aren't bad). They sell secondhand stairlifts so if may be worth contacting them, if it is a nearly new standard model.
Thanks for your advice x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep