Pre Care Home Covid Test !!!!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Mum has been offered a placement in my first choice of care home. The care home manager asked me to contact social services to arrange a covid test prior to her admission, social services told me to ring our GP, our GP said that I needed to contact NHS Inform or NHS 111 who told me they only test people with symptoms and to contact the care home!
We are in Scotland, does anyone know how I can get mum tested?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I agree with Canary, tell 111 your mum has got a cough and has lost her sense of smell or something like that.

Having suggested that, my mum went into a care home in England in April ( had a test in hospital before her discharge) and since then has had a monthly test in the care home - so care homes can get tests done.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum went into a care home last week and had to have a clear Covid result beforehand. I just rang clicked on this: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron.../get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/
and ordered a home test. Posted it off and all good. Good luck! You could also find out from this site where your nearest testing centre is and do the drive -through.

Thank you. I tried to order a home test, I got right to the end of the form and though great until it said that home tests are not available for my address.
I will wait to see if my social worker or Dr rings me back with a solution this morning if not I will try your link again for a drive through test, I m trying to avoid this as it is 40 miles away and I don't think mum will cooperate with someone in full PPE looming in through the car window.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Thank you. I tried to order a home test, I got right to the end of the form and though great until it said that home tests are not available for my address.
I will wait to see if my social worker or Dr rings me back with a solution this morning if not I will try your link again for a drive through test, I m trying to avoid this as it is 40 miles away and I don't think mum will cooperate with someone in full PPE looming in through the car window.
Also, be aware that some drive thru centres just push the self test kit into the car and you have to do the swabbing yourself, which is not easy. This happened to me last week. Did get the result in less than 24 hrs though (negative which was a big relief).

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hopefully, you will find one nearer than 40 miles away! They change all the time :)

Lin47

Apr 14, 2020
I also live in Scotland. My mother's covid test was arranged by her care manager. The test was done here, I understand that they were doing the tests in this local area.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Mum has been offered a placement in my first choice of care home. The care home manager asked me to contact social services to arrange a covid test prior to her admission, social services told me to ring our GP, our GP said that I needed to contact NHS Inform or NHS 111 who told me they only test people with symptoms and to contact the care home!
We are in Scotland, does anyone know how I can get mum tested?
Batsue, did you find an answer? We are facing precisely this problem just now. (Also in Scotland.)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Milvus , I haven't seen @Batsue round here for a while so she may not answer your query. From what I can remember she did get the test sorted, maybe with the help of the care home her mother moved to. It might be worth contacting the home if you have problems to see what they suggest.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Hi @Milvus , I haven't seen @Batsue round here for a while so she may not answer your query. From what I can remember she did get the test sorted, maybe with the help of the care home her mother moved to. It might be worth contacting the home if you have problems to see what they suggest.
Thank you. We're just getting the runaround with everyone saying it's not their responsibility and under no circumstances will they do a test! I'm afraid I just took Mum to the local testing centre yesterday and they agreed to test her. Cheeky but what do you do? The result is negative but in my frustration to get it done I didn't realise that she had to be tested within the 48 hours prior to admission so I've done it too early! My brother is contacting people right, left and centre, all guns blazing, so hopefully he'll get results.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Milvus - you can order a home test on-line (see link below). The Gov website provides a list of reasons that you can get a PCR test if you have no symptoms, including "a GP or other health professional has asked you to get a test" (see link below). Requiring a test prior to care home admission would I think fall into this category? I am having weekly PCR tests prior to visiting Mum in her care home and have had no problems with requesting these.

If you are having problems obtaining a home test kit on-line you can ring the following number. Just explain the situation and they should be able to send you a home testing kit (register it in your mum's name):

0300 303 2713 if you’re in Scotland (7am to 11pm)

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
@Milvus - you can order a home test on-line (see link below). The Gov website provides a list of reasons that you can get a PCR test if you have no symptoms, including "a GP or other health professional has asked you to get a test" (see link below). Requiring a test prior to care home admission would I think fall into this category? I am having weekly PCR tests prior to visiting Mum in her care home and have had no problems with requesting these.

If you are having problems obtaining a home test kit on-line you can ring the following number. Just explain the situation and they should be able to send you a home testing kit (register it in your mum's name):

0300 303 2713 if you’re in Scotland (7am to 11pm)

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
Thank you! Test ordered.

Last edited: