NHS continued Healthcare

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
Hi I have been advised that a virtual meeting will take place to consider the NHS continuing healthcare for my mother who is now 92 and in a care home. I have been asked to attend this meeting.
I wonder if anyone here have attended one of these meetings and if so what should I expect to happen.
Thank you PamKent

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi I have been advised that a virtual meeting will take place to consider the NHS continuing healthcare for my mother who is now 92 and in a care home. I have been asked to attend this meeting.
I wonder if anyone here have attended one of these meetings and if so what should I expect to happen.
Thank you PamKent
Yes, I have attended one of these, in person as it were rather than virtually. It's important to have some idea of how often a qualified nurse would have been needed for your mother and for what reason. It would be useful to get this information from the home, or put them on alert to it.
There are some areas which are more important than others, mobility and communication are strong areas as is feeding/being fed. Can your mother communicate her needs? Is she able to eat well?
What really matters too is evidence and I know this will have been hard as we have been in lockdown. It's good to have examples of all you would like to say.
This funding can be tough to get and it's good to get all the tips you can. Please do ask me questions if you need to.
warmest, Kindred.

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
Yes, I have attended one of these, in person as it were rather than virtually. It's important to have some idea of how often a qualified nurse would have been needed for your mother and for what reason. It would be useful to get this information from the home, or put them on alert to it.
There are some areas which are more important than others, mobility and communication are strong areas as is feeding/being fed. Can your mother communicate her needs? Is she able to eat well?
What really matters too is evidence and I know this will have been hard as we have been in lockdown. It's good to have examples of all you would like to say.
This funding can be tough to get and it's good to get all the tips you can. Please do ask me questions if you need to.
warmest, Kindred.
Thank you so much for your advice. I take it the local council will be putting my mothers situation to the NHS is that correct ?
If that’s the case will they have recently assessed my mothers deterioration during lockdown.
Thank you again. Pam

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks Pam. Who invited you to the meeting? It could be the local council putting the case especially if they are currently paying for your mums care. They will get, or have got, detailed information from the home.
I hope they have assessed your mum during lockdown but we can’t assume that. Can you phone the home and ask?
Warmest, Geraldine aka kindred

PamKent

Jul 21, 2020
Kent
Thanks Pam. Who invited you to the meeting? It could be the local council putting the case especially if they are currently paying for your mums care. They will get, or have got, detailed information from the home.
I hope they have assessed your mum during lockdown but we can’t assume that. Can you phone the home and ask?
Warmest, Geraldine aka kindred
Hi
I was invited to the meeting by the NHS CC I will try and find out more as you suggest.
nothing seems clear cut when it comes to care for the people with dementia I’m finding.
thank you for your support.
Pam

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
This link is very useful. You will see that an initial checklist is done and only goes onto the assessment proper if scores are sufficiently high. You have the right to be present -

You can click on the document for a copy of the initial assessment document. Good luck and best wishes.