Is anyone able to visit their loved one in a nursing home?

granny shoe

Jul 14, 2020
My husband has Alzheimer's and nearly died with sepsis in January. He is now unable to stand and is in a nursing home. Recently he was diagnosed with probable cancer on the basis of rapid weight loss and blood screening tests. I couldn't visit at all during lock down and can only see him now once a week and through open French windows, wearing a mask. Is anyone managing to do visits inside a care or nursing home? My husband doesn't understand why I can't come inside to sit with him.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
My husband has Alzheimer's and nearly died with sepsis in January. He is now unable to stand and is in a nursing home. Recently he was diagnosed with probable cancer on the basis of rapid weight loss and blood screening tests. I couldn't visit at all during lock down and can only see him now once a week and through open French windows, wearing a mask. Is anyone managing to do visits inside a care or nursing home? My husband doesn't understand why I can't come inside to sit with him.
@ granny shoe, my husband’s care home have started outside visits. You have wear a mask, gloves and an apron and have to stay 2 metres away from from the resident. There is a table and two chairs but there is no touching allowed. This unfortunately does not work for me as my husband would not understand why I couldn’t touch or hug him so I’ve just being doing closed window visits which are not ideal as he says hello come in and wanders off. I have contacted his social worker and the Chess team to see what if anything can be done about this situation and a meeting between all these party’s and the home has been arranged, hopefully it will be good outcome for us, perhaps you could speak to the home x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother's care home is opening up for visitors next week. I'll phone on Thursday and try and book a slot. They are allowing up to three visits a week, but once a week will be fine for me. I hope it's a success. I intend to take in half a bottle of prosecco. Mum loves it and I'm sure it will cheer her up, though it might be a bit tricky to drink it f we have to wear masks.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Just had a phone call from FIL's Care Home - been given a one person visit slot for Friday 24th - it is in the covered porch and is for 1 hour. They did let us see him over the garden fence on his birthday last month for about 10 mins.

Lin47

Apr 14, 2020
My mother's care home started garden visits last week. You have to wear a mask and you sit either side of a table for 30 minutes. Only one visit a week and only one designated visitor.

JGDMG

May 5, 2020
As others are saying it seems they are starting t open up to visitors. There is an announcement due soon from Gov as people are realising that people with dementia may suffer more from lack of visits from loved ones. I think for serious illness though you would hopefully be allowed to visit. Such a difficult time

granny shoe

Jul 14, 2020
@ granny shoe, my husband’s care home have started outside visits. You have wear a mask, gloves and an apron and have to stay 2 metres away from from the resident. There is a table and two chairs but there is no touching allowed. This unfortunately does not work for me as my husband would not understand why I couldn’t touch or hug him so I’ve just being doing closed window visits which are not ideal as he says hello come in and wanders off. I have contacted his social worker and the Chess team to see what if anything can be done about this situation and a meeting between all these party’s and the home has been arranged, hopefully it will be good outcome for us, perhaps you could speak to the home x
Thank you for your reply. It's really helpful to know what's happening for other people. Hope things work out for you soon x

granny shoe

Jul 14, 2020
Thanks to everyone for their replies to my query on visiting restrictions to care homes. It's so helpful to find out what other people are experiencing . I'm going to write to my MP to see if she can help to speed up the Government announcement on this issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976