Father recently diagnosed and currently in hospital worries

Clands

Jul 14, 2020
Hi there,

This may end up a rambly, all over the place post.

On Thursday my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers, his symptoms are early. It was a welcome relief to get a diagnosis and know we’ll start being able to get support when needed.

He’s currently on chemo, is on the shielded list, and last week started acting odd. We had thought it was the general illness from his leukaemia making him worse and had hoped it wasn’t the Alzheimer’s rapidly getting worse. Then on Friday he had a high temperature so he was taken to hospital to be treated for what they believe to be an infection.

Since then he’s gone from early stages to (if he were to be released today) requiring full time care.

We’re struggling to get information out of the hospital to find out what he’s been tested for, and I’m concerned they think this is mental state normally. We don’t even know yet if they’ve figured out what’s wrong.

What are our rights if they were to try to discharge him when he’s clearly to us still not well?

Thanks

UPDATE

He has been transferred to another hospital as he has suffered a bleed on the brain.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Clands. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

It`s known that people with dementia are more severely affected by infections than those without so I would advise you to hold tight and wait to see how your dad is once he has recovered fully from his infection.

I`m sure the hospital will know this and will be treating your dad with whatever antibiotics is is able to have on top of his medication for leukaemia.

It might be a good idea to discuss your worries with your dad`s consultant rather than worry about what might or might not happen. It sounds as if it`s too soon to tell.

Clands

Jul 14, 2020
Hello @Clands. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

It`s known that people with dementia are more severely affected by infections than those without so I would advise you to hold tight and wait to see how your dad is once he has recovered fully from his infection.

I`m sure the hospital will know this and will be treating your dad with whatever antibiotics is is able to have on top of his medication for leukaemia.

It might be a good idea to discuss your worries with your dad`s consultant rather than worry about what might or might not happen. It sounds as if it`s too soon to tell.
Thank you for your advice @Grannie G. I guess as it’s all so new, and the hospital admission so sudden my head is running all over the place.

I rung the hospital today and have asked for the doctor to call me and have written out my questions so hopefully they’ll ease my worries

pinkslippers2106

Jul 14, 2020
Check out www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets/this-is-me It will let the hospital staff know his information and what he likes and dislikes
The more info you can give the nurses about his likes and dislikes, the better, I hope, he will be better :)
The more info you can give the nurses about his likes and dislikes, the better, I hope, he will be better :)
Good luck :) Please let us know how you get on.
Please let us know.

Pacucho

Hello,
I see you have already received good advice.
If your dad's hospital is in England then you may also find the "Dementia Friendly Hospital Charter" one page poster (https://nationaldementiaaction.org.uk/dementia-friendly-hospitals/ndaa-dementia-friendly-hospital-charter-poster-resources/)" useful. It simply states what to expect during a stay in an acute hospital in England, and if you get some form of resistance from one or more staff members then you can show it to them (as the vast majority of hospital have signed up to it).
Hope this helps,
Paco