Suspected co-vid 19

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
Well my husband has been confined to bed since Saturday morning. On Saturday after the carers had been he see med to devolop a fever, I used one of those forehead reading thermometers and it was coming up at 38.5c Quite high I thought so rang 111, talked to a nurse who said they were sending an ambulance. It arrived about an hour later the crew did all the usual tests but husbands temperature had shot up to 39.4c They said that if his breathing was bad they'd take him in and he'd have to be in the Covid unit. But thankfully they thought it better that he just stayed at home,take fluids and paracetamol regularly for the fever instructions were if he seemed to get any cough or if temp didn't come down then get the ambulance out straight away. So since then his fever around 38c very lethargic taking fluids not wanting to eat,but getting plenty sleep. I sent for a home test kit straightaway. It arrived today and I've just done the test on him about an hour ago. It gets picked up by courier tomorrow and probably get result by end of week. I really hope it comes back negative, but I'm doubtful. Obviously we've to isolate again. So worrying,feel a nervous wreck already, always in the back of my mind- what if I starting showing symptoms? or got quite ill then who on earth is going to take care of hubby. He'd have to go into emergency repite or some similar arrangement, BUT would they take someone with suspected co-vid symptoms? really scared now.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
instructions were if he seemed to get any cough or if temp didn't come down then get the ambulance out straight away. So since then his fever around 38c very lethargic taking fluids not wanting to eat,but getting plenty sleep.

Sorry to hear about your husband @WeeDido but as his temperature has not really come down much since Saturday and he is also now not wanting to eat, I really think that you should follow the advice that the paramedics gave you and get an ambulance out, or at least call 111 again to let them know that your husband still has a fever and is now not eating. The hospital will be able to test for covid-19 far quicker than you waiting until the end of the week (or longer) for your posted swab to be tested. Bear in mind that tests can be inconclusive if not carried out effectively and he might require another one (this happened to my mum and it wasn't a quick process getting a 2nd test). If your husband does have covid-19 then the quicker he gets treatment the better, and although he is taking in some fluids it's obviously not good for him to go too long without food. You also need to think of your own health - do you have sufficient PPE at home to protect you? I can appreciate how scared you must be feeling about your own risks of catching the virus but a hospital visit would quickly confirm whether your husband has covid or not, the best course of treatment for him, and also help to put your mind at rest about the possibility of getting ill yourself.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
Sorry to hear about your husband @WeeDido but as his temperature has not really come down much since Saturday and he is also now not wanting to eat, I really think that you should follow the advice that the paramedics gave you and get an ambulance out, or at least call 111 again to let them know that your husband still has a fever and is now not eating. The hospital will be able to test for covid-19 far quicker than you waiting until the end of the week (or longer) for your posted swab to be tested. Bear in mind that tests can be inconclusive if not carried out effectively and he might require another one (this happened to my mum and it wasn't a quick process getting a 2nd test). If your husband does have covid-19 then the quicker he gets treatment the better, and although he is taking in some fluids it's obviously not good for him to go too long without food. You also need to think of your own health - do you have sufficient PPE at home to protect you? I can appreciate how scared you must be feeling about your own risks of catching the virus but a hospital visit would quickly confirm whether your husband has covid or not, the best course of treatment for him, and also help to put your mind at rest about the possibility of getting ill yourself.
hello@LOUISE 7 Well truly its been a whirlwind this morning. husbands temp rose again to 39 so I immediately called 111 gave all the details to a caller from a Covid hub A doc phoned me back saying she would send another doc to the house to run some vitals.She came in less than an hour noticed his colour and then told me his oxygen levels were down to 90% He hadnt passed much urine, all indicating he needed to go to hosp pretty quick. Ambulance arranged but as my husband is immobile needed to wait for the emergency care alert team to hoist from the bed onto paramedics trolley. That was some ordeal for poor hubby! Alert team seemed rather flustered,trying to rush the transfer. But anyway thats him in hospital now. I know there not allowing any visitors but I'll phone later today and find out any info I can. Your'e right, he just couldn't have stayed another day at home as ill as he was. Thanks WeeDido x

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I`m really sorry to read your post @WeeDido. I can only hope all will be well.
@GRANNIEG husband got admitted to hosp around lunchtime today. He was getting worse today so no option but to call 111 and DR came and arranged ambulance transport. He'll get the most appropriate treatment now So sad I can't visit but going to keep in touch with hosp and get as much info as I can so thank you WeeDido x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@WeeDido , sorry your husband has ended up in hospital, but that seems the right place to get him sorted out whether it is covid-19 or not. Hope you manage to get some information from them soon about how he is.
Don't forget to look after yourself too.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I’m so sorry to read of your situation @WeeDido. I hope the results are negative.
Hi @Izzy just to update- husband taken into hospital lunchtime today was pretty poorly this morning. relieved that at least he'll get some treatment. sad I can't visit but will phone hosp for updates often Many thanks for replying WeeDido x