Sundowning

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
This sun downing is a real PIA isn’t it? First of the week, but it is only Monday . Now he is in the shower like a happy bunny. His words follow the same pattern, I have all the answers, I would tell him anything, can we talk about this, can we resolve our differences, and tonight, would it help if I read your book on dementia? You have to find a laugh though, but inside I just want to run and scream. I have such anger in me these days that doesn’t have an outlet apart from swearing and a bit of throwing when I am out of his sight. It probably caused a bit by lockdown. He is also obsessed with shaving, tells me tonight he must shave, then changes his mind 10 minutes later. Over and out.

Star of the Orient

May 20, 2020
This sun downing is a real PIA isn’t it? First of the week, but it is only Monday . Now he is in the shower like a happy bunny. His words follow the same pattern, I have all the answers, I would tell him anything, can we talk about this, can we resolve our differences, and tonight, would it help if I read your book on dementia? You have to find a laugh though, but inside I just want to run and scream. I have such anger in me these days that doesn’t have an outlet apart from swearing and a bit of throwing when I am out of his sight. It probably caused a bit by lockdown. He is also obsessed with shaving, tells me tonight he must shave, then changes his mind 10 minutes later. Over and out.
Oh dear, it does compound on a carer day after day. With lockdown I haven't been able to have my little respites - a trip to the local ice cream shop and a chat with the owner who makes me laugh. We have chit chat and insult each other all very tongue in cheek. It lifts me. I can transform my heavy load into light candy floss and it revives my spirit. Helps me keep a sense of humour. Humour might help you too. Today I listened to a radio programme about ladies in Kent who meet to embroider in a pub. They embroider rude words, swear words and beautiful images like flowers. I thought oh that might relieve stress in a funny way. And, I like needlecraft. We all need some expression to keep us happy and sane. I hope some of this is of help to you.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Thank you! That needle group sounds fun. I also craft, sewing, knitting, which does help. I had a social assessment right before lockdown, so at the end of all this, hopefully I can get out a bit more.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
We all know what you're going through. Somehow we do get through it. I've recently discovered Romesh Ranganathan (iplayer) he makes me laugh so much, my partner looks at me like I'm mad!
He's recently had a change of meds which has changed the record a bit and he's making a bit more sense when speaking and not so repetitive. I've also discovered he enjoys golf putting and is good at it. Sometimes I put his music on and give him a favourite book about travel or wildlife to look at. Can you manage to get out for a bit of a walk?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I actually went out yesterday to a friend about 15 mins away, for 3 hrs, and when I came back he had taken the dog out for a walk. That was the first time, usually if I say I am off for a walk he wants to come with me. He is ok today, despite being stuck in with the rain.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I actually went out yesterday to a friend about 15 mins away, for 3 hrs, and when I came back he had taken the dog out for a walk. That was the first time, usually if I say I am off for a walk he wants to come with me. He is ok today, despite being stuck in with the rain.
Ha ha, if my partner took the dog out for a walk (we don't have one anyway) he would never be seen again! Glad you managed to get a break. I can't leave my partner anymore, even for 1/2 an hour, he would be too agitated. I remember when he wanted to come everywhere with me, I go out now only when the carer is here, he'll still want to come though even if I say I'm going on my bike! But he used to the routine now, carer takes him for a walk to the park.