Water infection

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
Further to a previous post about Mum being even more confused since lockdown. She has had a course of antibiotics which may have cleared the infection but hasn't helped the confusion. After reading many posts on this site it seems to me that the dementia has simply progressed to another level. Let the stress continue!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
It is quite common for any type of infection to cause delirium and even more so if they have a medical event which requires them to go to hospital.

Sometimes they can return to previous level, sometimes almost the same but maybe a change here and there and sometimes completely different.

My Mum went into care July 16. Previous to that she had had 3 UTI’s in 9 mnths. With each one she got worse.
She was better in care, as they were able to get regular fluids into her.
Within a year UTI’s returned being hospitalised at one stage. She had 3 within 6 mnths.
They have been quite detrimental and now Mum has been on a low dose antbiotic for 18mnths. Not one UTI.

All you can do is go with the flow. xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner has had 4 infections in two months and is definitely getting worse too. Sorry you have that awful stress and worry, Ramblingrose.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Further to a previous post about Mum being even more confused since lockdown. She has had a course of antibiotics which may have cleared the infection but hasn't helped the confusion. After reading many posts on this site it seems to me that the dementia has simply progressed to another level. Let the stress continue!
Hi.My dad has an infection too.Hopefully he is on antibiotics(I don't live with him).But he is definitely more confused than usual..

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH suffers many infections, he is just coming out of a UTI.
He has had at least 12 infections in the last 15mths, 7 during his 12 weeks in hospital, the rest in the last 12 mths, a mix of UTIs, which a rare these days, the others are soft tissue. The signs are obvious to me. He stops feeding himself, had a change of body temp, for UTIs it goes up, with soft tissue infections it goes down to the low 35deg. He doesn't suffer from any personality changes just sleeps a lot.
Thankfully there has been no significant decrease of his abilities. However it can take upto 10 days for any confusion to completely go, just time in time for him have a good week then start going down hill again. ?

AlisonF

Jun 6, 2020
It would be handy if we had access to self-testing kits for UTIs, wouldn't it? It would save the NHS a packet, surely? I'm constantly wondering whether my mum has had a UTI when she seems more muddled. If we could do a test at home it would then be worth contacting the GP - especially during lockdown.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It would be handy if we had access to self-testing kits for UTIs, wouldn't it? It would save the NHS a packet, surely? I'm constantly wondering whether my mum has had a UTI when she seems more muddled. If we could do a test at home it would then be worth contacting the GP - especially during lockdown.
I just buy the urine testing kits off eBay. Makes life easier,

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I seem to remember LLoyds pharmacy sold one

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
During the 6 years I cared for my wife, I am not aware of her getting any UTI's. Last August, whilst in a care centre for 2 weeks respite, so I could go abroad with our sons and grand kids, she developed a UTI and was hospitalised. Though she got over this, she completely lost her mobility and ended up going into a nursing home in September. She had deteriorated a lot in that short space of time and got hospitalised again just before Christmas with another infection.

This last episode completely knocked the stuffing out of her and she spent most of the time asleep and gradually stopped eating and drinking. She passed away in January.