Writing things down !!!!

Bethb265

Jan 4, 2020
Hello, my husband , 63, was diagnosed 12 months ago and has deteriorated pretty quickly . I had to stop working in January to become his full time carer, I’m 10 years younger and struggling with my new role!
His behaviours are becoming worse, repetition, hallucinations, obsessive, interaction with the tv and writing down things he sees on the TV! He also believes that when he is watching programmes those that are on the screen are talking directly to him and he responds to them, getting annoyed when they don't hear’ him!!!!!
Is this all a ‘normal’ progression?
sometimes he asks where Beth is (thats me) and if I’m staying with him or am I going home.
There just seems so many things to take on, for him and me!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Bethb265 you'll find lots of friendly advice and support here. Has your husband's behaviour suddenly got worse? This can often be a sign of an infection, possibly a urine or chest infection, but any type of infection can cause havoc in someone with dementia. If these are sudden changes then it's worth having a chat with the GP for a check over/blood tests. Is your husband on any medication and what type of dementia does he have (different types can have different behaviour patterns)? If the behaviour has been like this for a while then he may benefit from a medication review or a referral to the older adults mental health team - the GP will be able to make a referral. It must be very distressing for you so I hope that the GP is able to resolve matters.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
repetition hallucinations and interacting with the tv are normalbut if in doubt phone gp in case he has a urine infection.im the same age as you but my husband is 72. but i did work in a care home and most of the residents had some of the behaviours.i agree with louise7 need to seek advice make sure it can be assessed.im being repetitive as well as i was typing a response same time louise7 was

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, first rule out an infection, but if he is clear
repetition, hallucinations, obsessive, interaction with the tv and writing down things he sees on the TV! He also believes that when he is watching programmes those that are on the screen are talking directly to him and he responds to them, getting annoyed when they don't hear’ him!!!!! ............... sometimes he asks where Beth is (thats me) and if I’m staying with him or am I going home.
are all normal in dementia as it progresses.
Are you getting help?
Its difficult during this lockdown, but perhaps you could contact Social Services for a needs assessment. Once the lockdown is lifted and things are open again I think your husband would probably benefit from day care (it would give you a break too).

Bethb265

Jan 4, 2020
Welcome to the forum @Bethb265 you'll find lots of friendly advice and support here. Has your husband's behaviour suddenly got worse? This can often be a sign of an infection, possibly a urine or chest infection, but any type of infection can cause havoc in someone with dementia. If these are sudden changes then it's worth having a chat with the GP for a check over/blood tests. Is your husband on any medication and what type of dementia does he have (different types can have different behaviour patterns)? If the behaviour has been like this for a while then he may benefit from a medication review or a referral to the older adults mental health team - the GP will be able to make a referral. It must be very distressing for you so I hope that the GP is able to resolve matters.
Thank you Louise, thank you for your response, he has Alzheimer’s and also diabetes. He is physically very fit, we walk and bike ride, but I will see about doing a urine test. He had a review at the beginning of March and we are waiting dor an assessment to be done by Social Services

Bethb265

Jan 4, 2020
H
Yes, first rule out an infection, but if he is clear
are all normal in dementia as it progresses.
Are you getting help?
Its difficult during this lockdown, but perhaps you could contact Social Services for a needs assessment. Once the lockdown is lifted and things are open again I think your husband would probably benefit from day care (it would give you a break too).
Hello, thank you for your words. No help at present which is really difficult, 24 hrs a day, it’s just so intense. I’m hoping to get an assessment from Social Services to try and get some respite

Bethb265

Jan 4, 2020
repetition hallucinations and interacting with the tv are normalbut if in doubt phone gp in case he has a urine infection.im the same age as you but my husband is 72. but i did work in a care home and most of the residents had some of the behaviours.i agree with louise7 need to seek advice make sure it can be assessed.im being repetitive as well as i was typing a response same time louise7 was
Thank you for your response, will get him checked for urine infection. Its very difficult especially during this lockdown. Some days are very difficult

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I did find it helpful to watch peaceful things on TV or on YouTube. Travel, places we had been or similar. Music with scenery. Sometimes more than that stresses the mind. I found keeping things as low key as possible was reassuring.
Things to laugh at and smile at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R