Carer during lockdown?

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
Well I haven’t been on here for over a year, since my Mum died after a 10 year battle with Alzheimer’s. Now I’m looking for advice to help my step father in law who is caring for my mil in lockdown but desperately needs help. She has deteriorated massively in the last few months and up until now he has cared for her himself but he can’t carry on like this. Does anyone know if it’s possible to arrange for carers during lockdown? Where‘s the best place to start?

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi, I would start with a care needs assessment so you need to contact social services. Perhaps with your own personal experience you may be able to support this process via video link as I guess you are unable to mix with their household during lockdown. Most day care centres are closed but they may be able to arrange some respite or have Carers come in and support. Good luck, caring at any time is challenging but compounded.by the current situation.

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
Hi, I would start with a care needs assessment so you need to contact social services. Perhaps with your own personal experience you may be able to support this process via video link as I guess you are unable to mix with their household during lockdown. Most day care centres are closed but they may be able to arrange some respite or have Carers come in and support. Good luck, caring at any time is challenging but compounded.by the current situation.
Thank you, I’ll try contacting social services as you suggest. The situation was very different with my mum as she was on her own and there was no lockdown!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Day care is closed, but I am still getting carers in for OH during the lockdown. Not all care agencies are taking on new clients, but some are. It is certainly a good idea to get the ball rolling.

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
Hi,
I stopped all my day care services in day care facilities and the home visits at start of crisis as I was very worried about how safe it would be and fortunately was able to work from home, I’m very concerned about it all starting back again in September( I’m a teacher).
ive also not been guaranteed the home care any advice or is it just about calling a variety of agencies in august and trial and error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968