Goodbye and Hello

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I am sorry to hear that the evening was not as good as the day with the confusion creeping in. It is frustrating when you really cannot work out what the PWD is trying to say. Last year I could usually guess what Mum was trying to say but I am really struggling now. However more frustrating for Mum :( It is a shame the fav film did not work but I guess good is your Mum has pottered off to bed. Enjoy the early night.
I didn’t have my power nap I went picking caterpillars off my gooseberry bushes so they don’t ‘chomp’ them like last year then did some digging in the last part that need clearing

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Aw shame, hopefully sleep will do her good ? Hope you and hubby get to relax tonight and don't have to be up too early in morning. ???

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Argh we had literally thousands of them on our young oak tree a couple of years ago, could not se any of the leaves at all, should of taken a picture as it was the most bizarre sight. The slugs have found one of my 3 Hosta’s :confused: mil did warn me before I bought them , tons of eggshell around base too , so have moved them and touchwood they have left it alone so far , then found green fly on another , so I have been a woman possessed with bug spray today.
It was impossible to work out , called him indoors in to try and help and then she started to make more sense and he looked at me as if to say why didn’t you understand that :rolleyes: , then she was saying that something had walked in to a gap between door frame and door , really the most that could get through would be a fag paper ! He said he will fill it and she seemed slightly less agitated about it . Shame about the nap and the caterpillars .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Aw shame, hopefully sleep will do her good ? Hope you and hubby get to relax tonight and don't have to be up too early in morning. ???
I took dog out while he watched some crud on tv , I’m in bedroom on here , got a delivery at 8am Tom so up early . Oh I forgot to say on Thursday night mum was happy enough but went to bed at 9pm , as soon as she went I like a giggling school girl went and got a bottle of wine out and we shared the bottle , (normally it goes 4 ways but daughters upstairs ) it was bliss ? we didn’t chat much but was nice to just be on our own . Grateful for these small things now . Hope you too are having a relaxing evening ?;) . X

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I love hostas, One year I planted row of about 10 in 4 wood planter boxes we had . As I'd had odd one or two hostas before that slugs attacked and I'm not an organic gardener or anything I put tons of slug pellets around all 10 of them in the planter boxes and around the boxes. The next morning I had 9 and a stump. By the end of a week I had 1 and 9 stumps :( There were quite a few slimey slugs on the pellets but they had either eaten hostas first before the pellets worked or some managed to sneak by like stealth slugs and eat the hostas. Hope you manage to keep yours ?
Glad you had a nice drink and relax on thursday X

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh that would seriously annoy me , mil has completely given up with them now (hosta that is not slugs unfortunately ) well it had nibbled most of the leaves but only a few holes in them , i wasn’t sure If slugs or caterpillar are to blame . I have more of a problem with green and black fly and pesky Lilly beetles ? .They must be adapting the pesky things .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I have an interesting image of a woman possessed by bug spray in my mind now. Hopefully you have frightened those bugs into submission. Just remember @annielou and @Woo2 that those slugs are poor homeless snails unless they are in my garden. I never liked ants until I realised they were doing a good job of aphid eating on the strawberry plants. I think I need to encourage a few more ladybirds.
However I am glad that you and dog managed to get a walk in.
I hope you have had a reasonable day

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Well they can ****** off and be homeless somewhere else !!!! I am a nature lover usually and love all creatures , but not when I want pretty flowers and lots of veg . I was possessed I tell you , they have all been annihilated I think . I picked a radish today as I am completely inpatient , it was absolutely delicious . Roll on the potatoes , carrots , beetroot, lettuce , tomatoes , cucumber , cabbage , shallots , spring onions, peppers ,chili ‘s ,sweetcorn,strawberries,gooseberries ,blackcurrant ,apples , peas, broad /dwarf/French /runner beans , Brussels sprouts, and Purple Broccoli , oh and 1 turnip as the others have been eaten by the homeless snails :rolleyes: Gee I didn’t realise just how much hubby is growing :D think I will be delivering veg boxes to half the street?.
Good ish day , mum had shower and I managed to remove all bottles except shampoo and shower gel so she came out smelling sweeter than she went in . And big plus she got dressed , I sneaked in her room while in shower and left clothes out and took her pj’s which virtually threw themselves in to washing machine . Had a walk again tonight and gosh almighty it’s freezing out .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thats good news @Woo2 that mum had shower and got dressed ? ? well done on the preemptive sneaking. That sounds like a right selection of fruit, salad and veg, you'll be turning into tom and barbara on the good life next :) Isn't the weather weird, yesterday was like summer today autumn ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Ha ha my mil said that ! Hubby would love to live on a remote island and be completely self sufficient , we tried to talk him in to getting chickens but he just won’t budge :confused:. Yes it was a bonus the shower , she had one on Friday but don’t think she used soap or shampoo so was def a fresher mum today:) weather completely bonkers .... it’s really windy and cold?.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
The slugs we get up here are huge chunky black ones, some about 4 inches long, My way of getting rid of them is to scoop them up with a dog ball thrower and hurl them into the lochan or the pine forest. It is very satisfying when they land in the middle of the water of the top of a pine tree.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've given up on hostas, lupins or anything else slugs like. I do garden organically so just grow things they appear not to be keen on. I have a paved backyard, so I thought they wouldn't like living here as it must hurt their tummies to slither over paving stones but no such luck.
Glad mum had a shower and clean clohes. The weather yesterday was a bit of a shock after the warmth of Saturday, but it looks sunny now, so I hope it's a nicer day today.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Your hubby puts my 4 small veg beds and 1 squashed fruit bed to shame. Mind you I am not sure if I could manage more and I enjoy pottering out there. I am glad you won bug wars O protector of the Pretty Flowers :)
Great news about your Mum having another shower and fantastic that you managed to get her wearing proper clothes.
It certainly has got cold again. We manage to walk in the morning but it did get quite blowy as we walked back. Pleased to hear that you got out for a bit though.
I wish you another good day with no huffing or puffing ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Ha ha that does indeed sound very satisfying @reedysue , sounds like you live in a beautiful part of the world , we have visited Scotland a few times and never disappoints . I don’t use any pesticides either @Sarasa , so covered the bases with eggshells , might try the beer next .
He is slightly bonkers @Bikerbeth , we used to grow a few bits but then children took up our time , now they are older and what with the virus he decided to get more. He spends all day out there faffing about , he wants to retire as he has got used to being home ! No chance .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
:) Have enjoyed having him home but when we get back to some sort of normality I would like my old routine back , dog and I used to spend 2 hrs mooching around the woods and park of a morning after dropping mum to day centre .

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I never liked ants until I realised they were doing a good job of aphid eating on the strawberry plants.

I don't have strawberries but do have a lot of aphids on blackcurrants - ants are clever things and move the eggs there, nuture the colonies and harvest them so I try to destroy the ants and aphids

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
:) Have enjoyed having him home but when we get back to some sort of normality I would like my old routine back , dog and I used to spend 2 hrs mooching around the woods and park of a morning after dropping mum to day centre .
Your old routine sounds good to me. I can see why the dog misses it.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I don’t feel I have much to say really . I started putting clothes out for mum and she has got dressed everyday this week :) Well today she was asleep in her armchair when hubby got up for bathroom at 5am , when I got up at 7am she woke up and went back to bed until 11am . She has been out of sorts most of day and quiet and a little touchy , tired I guess . She sleeps really well so it’s a surprise she was up so early . She went in to bathroom at 3pm , at 3.30pm she came out huffing & puffing saying she couldn’t get the shower to work. Switched it on and she merrily went In . I’m not sure she is using any soap or shampoo still. She has not been going off to bed at her usual 9pm ish last few nights but staying up and I say I’m going to bed and she still sits there . I’m getting near to needing a drive out again, hoping I can wake up tom feeling less ?and more?.fewer toilet accidents recently but toilet paper back on the bath again. For someone that had nothing to say I have wrote a bit ! Oh and the maggots have got in to loads of my radishes , not a happy bunny ?, going to research a bit before I plant the next lot in .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti