May have a UTI, but the sample is contaminated again

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I wrote a couple of weeks ago that my partner had all the symptoms of a UTI, but no UTI. After giving the surgery a fresh urine sample last Monday the doctor finally called me back on Friday and said the sample is contaminated, like the previous one. The nurse had told me on Tuesday that she had sent it to the lab to confirm what antibiotics to use, so she must have seen something in the dip test.
According to the doctor C has to catch the urine in mid flow, but how she does that he didn't say. It is hard enough to get a sample off her anyway, but with that obstacle added I am at a loss. The worrying part is she may have had the infection since the start of the month and the last antibiotics did not clear it, but there is no way of knowing unless I can get this wonderful mid flow sample. She has a lot of blood in there some days, and confusion is getting worse, so I need something to change.
Sorry, that's a rambling early morning explanation, but if anyone can offer advice or help I would appreciate it.

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
Morning nae sporran. I have this problem with Mum, (contaminated samples), and was never really sure what it meant. What is she using to collect the sample? I usually get some little dishes from the surgery, (when they've got them!). Sorry, but can't help on how you get the mid flow though. I'm lucky that Mum's morning carer sees to this as she's usually there first! The blood sounds a bit worrying.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Morning @Petunia59. I usually use the same plastic jug I've always given to C for these things. Should I find a new one and clean it thoroughly before trying again tomorrow ? Sorry your mum is having similar problems.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @nae sporran

Can you get some Milton to sterilise the container before trying to collect the sample.

It might also be an idea to wash the area before collecting the sample. Perhaps a baby wipe might be sufficient, I`m not sure.

It`s probably asking the impossible of someone with dementia I know.

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
I would think the jug should be OK if it is thoroughly cleaned. I have one I have to use for Mum sometimes. I after washing it, I give it a good rinse with hot water and leave it to drain/air dry. Don't wipe it out with anything as this may leave particles behind.
Mum had a UTI for several months. She had 2 short courses of antibiotics but I don't think they fully cleared it. It wasn't until she was admitted to hospital with a chest infection and they pumped her full of antibiotics that it cleared. She's now been home for 5 weeks and there's only been 1 wet bed, (Monday).???

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That sounds horrendous, @Petunia59, but a relief to know your mum is clear. I'll give the jug a good rinse once I've got some of that Milton steriliser @Grannie G suggested. We have baby wet wipes, C's daughter gave us weeks ago, so I'll ask the carer tomorrow to try that before trying again for a sample. After that fingers and toes crossed.
Thank you both.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
On the occasions when I had to collect urine from Mum I collected it directly into the bottle that had been provided (wearing gloves!). Although the bottle is small it wasn't as tricky as it sounds to collect a sample mid-flow as it was a lot easier to just move it into position at the right time than try to put a jug in between Mum and the toilet. It also meant that the chance of contamination is reduced as the urine doesn't need to be moved from one receptacle to another. Contamination can be caused by faeces/skin particles too so as already mentioned, make sure that down below is clean before taking the sample. Good luck!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks @Bunpoots and @Louise7. I don't know how good the carers who come in are at taking samples direct, there is no way C would let me do it, but if it is possible then I can only ask. I'll fully sterilise the jug with Milton and boiled water just in case.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
My wife could not get a sample, in the end I bought a small plastic bowl that fitted in the bottom of the toilet just above the water level. As soon as she had been i rushed in got the bowl and transfered it to the sample bottle.
This worked well on the four times I needed to get a sample.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My wife could not get a sample, in the end I bought a small plastic bowl that fitted in the bottom of the toilet just above the water level. As soon as she had been i rushed in got the bowl and transfered it to the sample bottle.
This worked well on the four times I needed to get a sample.
That usually works for me, but for some reason it has not worked the last couple of times, thanks dogdayafternoon. I could not find any of that steriliser Sylvia suggested, but left the jug in Dettol for ten minutes, then rinses with boiled water. Fingers crossed we are on a winner now.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
If you need it in the future, look in the baby aisle - its used for sterilising baby bottles.

I thought it might be, canary. B&M didn't have any and the thought of trying Tesco or Sainsbury, my nearest supermarkets, didn't appeal. I'll have a look next time I'm in either of those.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Can you ask someone to get it for you? We have local volunteers who will do shopping for vulnerable people. I dont fancy my local supermarkets either.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I wrote a couple of weeks ago that my partner had all the symptoms of a UTI, but no UTI. After giving the surgery a fresh urine sample last Monday the doctor finally called me back on Friday and said the sample is contaminated, like the previous one. The nurse had told me on Tuesday that she had sent it to the lab to confirm what antibiotics to use, so she must have seen something in the dip test.
According to the doctor C has to catch the urine in mid flow, but how she does that he didn't say. It is hard enough to get a sample off her anyway, but with that obstacle added I am at a loss. The worrying part is she may have had the infection since the start of the month and the last antibiotics did not clear it, but there is no way of knowing unless I can get this wonderful mid flow sample. She has a lot of blood in there some days, and confusion is getting worse, so I need something to change.
Sorry, that's a rambling early morning explanation, but if anyone can offer advice or help I would appreciate it.
Hi. Not sure if you are on eBay but you can get sterilising tablets on there..I always get sterilised sample bottles there too. I’m not sure if she wears a pad but if so you can get test strips to test for UTI on the pad.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks @Bunpoots. Between the Dettol and the boiled water it should be sterilised. The carers disagree on the merits of holding the sample pot in front and doing it direct, so it all depends on who comes tomorrow.

I'm told I can get Milton tablets at Superdrug. They are just up the road, and queuing is well organised, so hopefully I can get it tomorrow with my prescription.
Another day pad overflowing tonight, so something is wrong and not getting any better after all. Wish me luck for tomorrow everyone.
:)