Public transport checks.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I had done mum’s shopping for her. Going home by train I was asked why I was travelling. I had a feeling that they might ask so I brought dads attendance allowance form plus the carers card from Age U.K. I didn’t have to show it but if he wanted to I had it all ready...So if anyone is using PT than make sure you take something like that with you. As you know I’m a carer for both but you can only claim for one.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I didn't know you could get a carers card from AgeUK. I got mine from the Council with help from the carers support centre. Stressful times travelling at the moment, stay safe and look after yourself, TNJJ.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That's interesting @TNJJ. My sister in law got turned back by the police when she was going to see her mum at the weekend. it wasn't a critical journey, but I wonder how she could prove it was a necessary journey if it was essential.
I've not been on public transport for the last couple of weeks, but I've not heard of it happening here in London (yet).

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I wasn't on public transport but I did get stopped in the car by a police road check on Friday last week. I was on my way to the pharmacy running a few errands for peeps. The very polite bobby asked the purpose of my journey and he was fine when I explained. I did chuckle as the policeman stood well away from the window -don't blame him

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
That's interesting @TNJJ. My sister in law got turned back by the police when she was going to see her mum at the weekend. it wasn't a critical journey, but I wonder how she could prove it was a necessary journey if it was essential.
I've not been on public transport for the last couple of weeks, but I've not heard of it happening here in London (yet).
I just took dad’s attendance allowance letter with me. All important post comes to my address so it has my name with dads too. Plus the carers card and my ID..Hopefully that will help.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I wasn't on public transport but I did get stopped in the car by a police road check on Friday last week. I was on my way to the pharmacy running a few errands for peeps. The very polite bobby asked the purpose of my journey and he was fine when I explained. I did chuckle as the policeman stood well away from the window -don't blame him
They are all polite as far as my dealings with them.I don’t envy them one bit.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I didn't know you could get a carers card from AgeUK. I got mine from the Council with help from the carers support centre. Stressful times travelling at the moment, stay safe and look after yourself, TNJJ.
Thanks. It is too ..Very?

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Due to his COPD my BIL & my sister are 'shielding'. Today myself & partner both had to do quite a bit of travelling around for shopping & picking up prescriptions. So far we haven't been asked if our journey is essential but we have no way of proving it if we do get asked. BIL has not had a letter from his dr to say he is considered vulnerable but his employer sent him home from work to self isolate.
As well as shopping I had a round trip of about 16 miles to pick up prescription meds for my sisters cat. No problem went smoothly. My BIL crown came off his front tooth yesterday. The dentist will not see him to repair it & instead arranged for a do-it-yourself temporary repair kit to be dispensed which my partner went to collect for him....20 miles round trip. Only to hear later from my brother in law that they have sent a filling repair in error. So looks like another 20 mile journey again tomorrow. :mad:

Last edited:

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I think most police would take what you say on face value..... I think they know that asking for proof would be impossible. They would use their usual skills judging situations , which in most cases wouldn’t be a problem

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I was under the impression that the Police weren’t supposed to stop and ask where you were going/ what you were doing unless they had good reason i.e. normal concerns about bad driving etc.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I was under the impression that the Police weren’t supposed to stop and ask where you were going/ what you were doing unless they had good reason i.e. normal concerns about bad driving etc.
No as far as I’m aware they can. All new powers with Coronavirus.