Medication supply problem

Balm

Apr 5, 2020
My Mum has Alzheimer’s she’s been sent a letter by her chemist that they can no longer provide her medication in her normal blister packs!! As pharmacist too busy!! My Dad who is 80 is trying to care for her
There is no way they will be able to work out which & when tablets she has to take
If my Dad even tried to help her she would take no notice & get angry with him for trying to ‘interfere’
This can’t be right!!! Surely ??

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My Mum has Alzheimer’s she’s been sent a letter by her chemist that they can no longer provide her medication in her normal blister packs!! As pharmacist too busy!! My Dad who is 80 is trying to care for her
There is no way they will be able to work out which & when tablets she has to take
If my Dad even tried to help her she would take no notice & get angry with him for trying to ‘interfere’
I wouldn't have thought so.She is a vulnerable adult.Even with your dad helping .For heaven's sake.I have had medication issues with mum's pharmacy this week so I know where you are coming from!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Enquiries and deliveries at my pharmacy have more than trebled @Balm.

Could you arrange for your mother's meds to be delivered to you and then you can put the tablets into a dosette?

Balm

Apr 5, 2020
Hi
I don’t live near my Mum we all struggle to help or just cope
I am Bi Polar so I am not always well enough to guarantee I’d even get these right
Can the chemist actually decide to to that?

Balm

Apr 5, 2020
I wouldn't have thought so.She is a vulnerable adult.Even with your dad helping .For heaven's sake.I have had medication issues with mum's pharmacy this week so I know where you are coming from!
I just don’t get it!! Is her safety & well being no longer important & my poor Dad can barely cope as it is. We’re already struggling to get food deliveries to them
I’m worried that they’ll both just give up!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome Balm. It sounds like the letter from the chemist is a 'standard' one that's been sent out to everyone rather than specific to your Mum. Chemists are all really busy at the moment but they won't know who is vulnerable and needs help with their tablets and who doesn't so give them a call and explain the situation.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
@Balm
Try this link. It may give you a link to help you.

And this

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire

I agree with @Louise7. Give the chemist a call and explain the situation as you have to us emphasising that your parents are both vulnerable, your mum because of her dementia and your dad because of potential violence if he tries to help her with her pills. Tell them what you’ve told us in your first post and that there is no one nearby who could help even if we weren’t socially isolating. I’d hope they’ll make an exception. Let us know what they say.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I agree, call the pharmacy and explain. When my husband was still able to deal with his medication himself ( Aricept) the tablet was dispensed in a day named strip. This allowed my husband, who continually checked had he taken his tablet, so see. Then other companies were producing this medication and we received these, understandable as obviously cheaper to supply but they were foreign and this took away my husband’s ability to deal with his own medication.

They were sorry and said there was no problem, his records would be marked. Once he was passed being able to deal with medication I called them and told them we were happy to take any brand.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I just don’t get it!! Is her safety & well being no longer important & my poor Dad can barely cope as it is. We’re already struggling to get food deliveries to them
I’m worried that they’ll both just give up!
Good luck with the pharmacy