The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @canary that is very kind.

I’d move to a field, but I wouldn't want to be the cause of spreading this, which moving to another area could do.

Stay safe. These are worrying times for everyone.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yesterday was stressful, but we kept our spirits up ... from a safe distance ... airing our fears about where we could go if the owner does kick us out. The trouble is ... we don’t have anywhere to go. Motorhomes can be parked on a street, so I couid move, but I’d be taking a risk to a new area, with no facilities. At least on a site I can shower regularly, launder uniforms etc.

Those in caravans don't even have that option. One family was looking for a lay-by to move to after being told yesterday they had to move out. We kept them strong and hopefully the Coronavirus Bill will mean they can stay.

We were promised an update last night ... so far nothing has been said.

Meanwhile, staff sickness has risen to over twenty percent ... so I was out running around like a headless chicken trying to find unfamiliar addresses last night. I didn’t even have a uniform as they were in the washing machine when I found out. I apologised repeatedly for my plain black clothing, but no one cared, they were just grateful that anyone came (apart from the ones that wouId moan about anything). People are really pulling together through this. You can see the exhaustion on their faces and the struggles to just put one foot in front of the other, but my word, we are getting the job done

As many of you know, my mum was a retired nurse, but she was also adamant that she wouId never let me go into nursing, “over my dead body will you become a nurse”. Yet here I am, doing something similar. Not at her level, but still bringing some comfort and support to families. I felt she was with me this week, urging me on. Things I’ve struggled with suddenly became easy, it was almost like she was showing me how to get a sling under a very large bottom and how to work around having the wrong equipment. I know it probably sounds daft, but I felt closer to her last night than I ever did when she was alive

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Great news Sam - really pleased.
Hopefully that means you can do something you do well -care - without having to worry about a place to stay. I hope he hasn’t least left you with hook up

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Phewww thank goodness for that, I have been thinking about you!

I don’t know if you remember but my husband is a carer in a small residential home (he moved from very large home recently as he wanted more interaction etc)

Anyways, he too is continuing to work though as he is a diabetic type 2 he really shouldn’t, but he is healthy and his diabetes is controlled well.....so he carries on. He said he just can’t not go in because they need him more so than ever.

I work from home and apart from him working 3 nights a week, and shopping we are isolating ourselves.

Keep safe x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
That's great news @Sam Luvit. Take care out there, caring. All care homes are on lockdown but I heard from a relative of one resident today that all the residents on the ground floor of his NH where dad was have a temperature. My OH and I have been isolating as necessary and important, as we both had nasty colds but no temps and now 12 wk further as OH has leukaemia. Stay well @Sam Luvit and everyone

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so pleased to hear the news. You really didnt need the agro of trying to find somewhere in the middle of everything else

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Look on the silver lining.
You won't have to endure hordes of invaders over the Easter weekend and maybe for a short time after.
Have you just got a pitch or a pitch with hook up and access to toilet etc block?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Im sorry to see all the stress you have been through in the last couple of days @Sam Luvit , glad it’s sorted now . Shame about the others that have been forced to leave though .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Bikerbeth, I’m very relieved to be able to concentrate on the things that matter

For now, we have hook up, water, one shower and one loo. We also have free use of the washing machine

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @DianeW

Its a relief to be allowed to stay, like the others left here, I have nowhere else to go

I totally understand how your husband feels. I just can’t not go to work. Without us going in, these vulnerable people wouId not take their meds, wouId not have clean comfort places to sit or sleep, but most of all, they wouId have no company and I wouId miss their smiles

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @love.dad.but..

It’s the best news. We are all still talking of the relief we feel. Lots of smiling faces here

We are keeping safe, keeping our distance, washing our hands and wearing protection. I’ve never been to grateful to find a bottle of aveeno mum had, as I have been this week.

Care homes are closed here too, it’s harder on the relatives as one person said “my mum is in her own little bubble”.

If everyone wouId keep as isolated as possible, then we might have a chance of flattening the curve. Keep safe and I hope you and your OH get over your colds soon.

Stay safe