Coronavirus

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I’ve not been well all week and just tried to book an online grocery order but it says they have suspended new registrations - I’ve had an online account since 2015 and used it for emergencies!

I care for my mother who has advanced dementia, no relatives or outside help and I have an underlying medical condition that means I should also self isolate but no online shopping means I’ll have to go out.

Mum used a half bottle of washing up liquid today to wash two cups and the loo roll I put in the bathroom this morning has about ten sheets left - she has a ‘thing’ about paper, tissues, loo rolls, kitchen paper and it was easier to just keep buying them in before this happened.

She’s also more anxious and generally difficult and I’m getting hardly any rest or sleep.

I’ve had to be practical and organised but Covid 19 on top of living with a person with dementia feels too much to cope with.

Apologies for the moan.

Everyone take care and stay well x

There are lots of support groups on facebook etc, set up to help people like yourself. It may be worth a look to see what is available. They are aware that Carers etc are struggling & are willing to help.
I hope things get easier for you
X

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I posted recently about my belief that my 86 yr old dad has dementia. After seeing mam with it for 10 years I have no doubts, though he has not been diagnosed.
Anyway, my daughter, who I am carer for due to multiple mental health problems, has spent hours online getting him everything he needs to be able to stay at home.

Today I needed her to go to my dad’s for a while as I had an appointment at home.
Disaster. Turns out my dad decided he needed a haircut so took the bus into town, went to the barber, then got the bus back!

Considering he doesn’t go anywhere now without me driving him I was shocked too.
This whole thing is my daughter’s worst nightmare. She has actual nightmares about things like this, so you can understand her distress & annoyance. Total meltdown.
I was annoyed too that he had put himself in danger for a haircut.

We have had numerous conversations with him about the importance of staying home. He takes it in at the time but then forgets.
Any ideas how to keep him safe are gladly welcomed.
Thanks for listening, helps to get it off my chest.
Take care all
X

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
There are lots of support groups on facebook etc, set up to help people like yourself. It may be worth a look to see what is available. They are aware that Carers etc are struggling & are willing to help.
I hope things get easier for you
X

Thanks Graybiker
I went on Facebook yesterday and there was information about a support group helping people that couldn’t get out but not in this area.

I rang a neighbour who is also self isolating and she mentioned a card from another neighbour offering to help with shopping but they hadn’t posted one through my door and she was reluctant to give me their details.

I’ve just signed up to Tesco online shopping, not that I’ve used them before but at least I can place an order, even though delivery will be sometime in April.

I always try to look on the positive side but it’s hard with mum is being so difficult. I just went in the bathroom and the rest of the toilet roll was in shreds on the floor :rolleyes:

I know I’m not the only one by any means having a challenging time and it’s good to be able to connect with someone. Thank you x

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My mum's carers have now been suspended, understandably. So down to me to give her meds, help with the shower etc. Her attitude towards me is bad enough these days, always angry/aggressive, argumentative about every little thing. Not looking forward to the weeks and months ahead.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Thanks Graybiker
I went on Facebook yesterday and there was information about a support group helping people that couldn’t get out but not in this area.

I rang a neighbour who is also self isolating and she mentioned a card from another neighbour offering to help with shopping but they hadn’t posted one through my door and she was reluctant to give me their details.

I’ve just signed up to Tesco online shopping, not that I’ve used them before but at least I can place an order, even though delivery will be sometime in April.

I always try to look on the positive side but it’s hard with mum is being so difficult. I just went in the bathroom and the rest of the toilet roll was in shreds on the floor :rolleyes:

I know I’m not the only one by any means having a challenging time and it’s good to be able to connect with someone. Thank you x
I'm glad you got your shopping sorted,how far in advance did you have to go for a delivery?
It's an awful time isn't it one moment I'm feeling ok and at another time I feel like crawling under a rock,yesterday I had a little cry yesterday which is unusual for me,I look after mum but she has 8 carers entering the home every day,and I'm high risk as I have type 2 diabetes so I'm worried about about mum and I getting it,the carers haven't got masks yet,in a months time I know it's going to horrendous

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I'm glad you got your shopping sorted,how far in advance did you have to go for a delivery?
It's an awful time isn't it one moment I'm feeling ok and at another time I feel like crawling under a rock,yesterday I had a little cry yesterday which is unusual for me,I look after mum but she has 8 carers entering the home every day,and I'm high risk as I have type 2 diabetes so I'm worried about about mum and I getting it,the carers haven't got masks yet,in a months time I know it's going to horrendous

I haven’t placed an order yet but I had a look at the delivery slots and it appeared to be after 6/4/20. I am so grateful they accepted me. Heaven knows why my usual shop won’t let me log in.

I know how you are feeling. I’m up and down, lack of sleep and not being well isn’t helping. I have no idea what to do if one of us catches it.

How big is your rock? ?

Stay well

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We are about to join the lockdown club. I haven't heard if the schools are going to close but everything that is non essential is to close. We understood from what has been happening in the rest of the world that it was inevitable.

After the shocking summer we have had - horrific bushfires and floods and now the corona virus. One cannot help but wonder if Mother Nature isn't giving us an almighty bite in the backside to remind us of our place in the scheme of things.

The bridge club suspended activities which was probably a wise decision considering the average age of the players was about 74 so my husband has been wandering around the house ,driving me nuts . He got very cranky because the library had closed and he couldn't get any more DVDs to watch. No sport to watch either so it is going downhill from now.

While we are all complaining and panic buying, I can't help but think about what is going to happen in some of the third world countries or in some of the refugee camps. Going to be awful. Corona virus is going to go through them like a dose of salts.

On a brighter note, with all the businesses closing, perhaps there will be a reduction in carbon emissions for awhile.

I will have a drive by the supermarket tomorrow and if it is frantic, I might turn round and come home again.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Coronavirus patients in Italy died at a rate of one every two minutes yesterday as the virus continues to ravage the country.

Sobering figures show 793 people lost their lives to Covid-19 in Italy on Saturday - equating to an average of 33 deaths per hour.

This marks the biggest increase in fatalities yet over a single 24-hour period.

The nation’s overall death toll is now 4,825, surpassing China, where the killer bug first originated in the city of Wuhan.

It comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that Britain is only “two or three” weeks behind Italy on the spread of Covid-19.

The UK’s death toll from the pandemic today is exactly the same as Italy's was two weeks ago.

Coronavirus has now killed 233 people in Britain - a figure which Italy reached on March 7.

In todays Sunday papers, Johnson has issued a stark warning the NHS could become as overwhelmed as Italy’s health service unless ‘heroic’ efforts are made.

"Unless we act together, unless we make the heroic and collective national effort to slow the spread - then it is all too likely that our own NHS will be similarly overwhelmed," he said.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy rose to 53,578, up from 47,021 on Friday.

The Italian army has now been sent in to enforce quarantine measures in Lombardy, the country’s worst-affected region.

More than 100 soldiers were deployed to the northern Italian region to keep people inside after reports of people defying lockdown rules.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Coronavirus patients in Italy died at a rate of one every two minutes yesterday as the virus continues to ravage the country.

Sobering figures show 793 people lost their lives to Covid-19 in Italy on Saturday - equating to an average of 33 deaths per hour.

This marks the biggest increase in fatalities yet over a single 24-hour period.

The nation’s overall death toll is now 4,825, surpassing China, where the killer bug first originated in the city of Wuhan.

It comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that Britain is only “two or three” weeks behind Italy on the spread of Covid-19.

The UK’s death toll from the pandemic today is exactly the same as Italy's was two weeks ago.

Coronavirus has now killed 233 people in Britain - a figure which Italy reached on March 7.

In todays Sunday papers, Johnson has issued a stark warning the NHS could become as overwhelmed as Italy’s health service unless ‘heroic’ efforts are made.

"Unless we act together, unless we make the heroic and collective national effort to slow the spread - then it is all too likely that our own NHS will be similarly overwhelmed," he said.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy rose to 53,578, up from 47,021 on Friday.

The Italian army has now been sent in to enforce quarantine measures in Lombardy, the country’s worst-affected region.

More than 100 soldiers were deployed to the northern Italian region to keep people inside after reports of people defying lockdown rules.

I can see you are Cornish @Countryboy. We have friends who live in Wadebridge and they are aghast at all the Londoners who have gone down to self isolate in their second homes and caravans. As our friends say, these greedy intruders are buying food and depriving local people. Cornwall has a small hospital that will not be able to manage should the situation worsen. I also live on the coast and much the same is happening here as well.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Dimpsy
It's the same here in the Highlands, people are turning up in motorhomes and parking anywhere, they don't seem to realise or care that they may be bringing the infection with them, nor that we do not have the facilities to care for additional people in our hospital.

Last edited:

Sparx

Mar 22, 2020
In these worrying times a friend sent me a message that lifted my spirits
They told me..Let’s try to remember , feed your faith not your fears

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
@Dimpsy
It's the same here in the Highlands, people are turning up in motorhomes and parking anywhere, they don't seem to realise or care that they may be bringing the infection with them, nor that we do not have the facilities to care for additional people in our hospital.
These people sound as if they are prepared to do anything to escape the congestion of the cities and whilst it is inconsiderate, I think we can can sort of understand their fears. Perhaps you could contact your local health officer/department and suggest that they go and have a chat with the people to see if they can't be moved on to more appropriate locations.

I suspect that the people think that are keeping their distance and not realizing what they are actually doing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Dimpsy

It's beyond belief! It makes me so angry.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
The stocks in my local supermarkets have dramatically increased during the last couple of days.
we know the toilet roll thing is a joke, and they have enough paper, for all our needs, it is only a temporary supply glitch.
There may be slight problems with things like eggs, as there are only so many chickens and sweet talking them fails to make more eggs come out, also I am expecting there to be an increase in people wanting to home bake!
But on the whole I think things will sort themselves out?
if anyone fancies some flowers get to the supermarket today for a bargain, as all those poor mothers were not given them yesterday!
One of the big things I bite my tongue about is food waste ! ( Oh you need to heat up a pint of milk to make that cup of coffee). Never mind I am just going to bite on my tongue a bit harder!

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I'm hoping to find wet wipes later,I think I will cycle there after I have fed mum,I can't live in hope that they would appear on an online order

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i read in the paper that nhs will be sending letters to the very high risk to isolate for 12 weeks my husband is at home and got a text he cant go out in the garden even but can open a window. i as his wife he lives with him have to stay three steps away from him. nobody in the house.had a man from electric who wanted to come in, i had to refuse him. there are 19 years between us so im not in the at risk age range so can go out but keep my distance. im scared that i will catch it so hope that people who has it does stay indoors. some people appear not to understand about isolation and self isolation going on the scenes on the news people going to bournemouth and flower market in east london.