Dad is now dying and can’t access CHC

RJCB

Dec 31, 2019
I am an RN and these are the normal staffing levels, I’m afraid.
Hi Leeds, I feel for you and your Dad. It can be agony, sitting by the bedside. I just want my Dad to be peaceful and free and not to suffer. I hate seeing him in so much decline. I miss the person that he was. I wish you peace at this sad time x

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I am an RN and these are the normal staffing levels, I’m afraid.
Hi Leeds, I feel for you and your Dad. It can be agony, sitting by the bedside. I just want my Dad to be peaceful and free and not to suffer. I hate seeing him in so much decline. I miss the person that he was. I wish you peace at this sad time x
An update on dad, he has made a brilliant recovery. After 2 months in hospital very poorly and many battles with the nhs, we managed to get him to a discharge to assess bed at a community hospital. He is now walking with a frame and eating and drinking after 2 months of being bedbound. I know people say dementia patients go downhill in hospital but my dad has thrived. He is in a much better place now. We now have to find him a new carehome, having given notice to his previous one, as they said he needed nursing care. They are saying now, he is not eligible for nursing care funding and guess what, all previous paperwork has disappeared. The battle goes on!! X

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
An update on dad, he has made a brilliant recovery. After 2 months in hospital very poorly and many battles with the nhs, we managed to get him to a discharge to assess bed at a community hospital. He is now walking with a frame and eating and drinking after 2 months of being bedbound. I know people say dementia patients go downhill in hospital but my dad has thrived. He is in a much better place now. We now have to find him a new carehome, having given notice to his previous one, as they said he needed nursing care. They are saying now, he is not eligible for nursing care funding and guess what, all previous paperwork has disappeared. The battle goes on!! X
I cynically think the “dementia patients go downhill in hospital “ is trotted out far too quickly without assessing is this really due to the hospital admission or because they are sick and we know dementia worsens with illness. I think it’s used as an emotional stick to beat you to keep your relative out of the over subscribed under pressure hospital system.
I’m so glad he has improved but sorry to hear you’re still battling for funding

Humper

Mar 18, 2020
I am losing the will to live. Dad has late stage VD. 2 weeks ago he was in a care home, mobile, eating drinking and going to the toilet. Yes, he slept 20 hours a day but he was safe.
He is now in hospital after suffering a fall 10 days ago. He is bed bound hasn’t put a foot on the floor since admission. Double incontinent, having to have his bladder emptied every day. Only had a couple of spoonfuls of food since admission and is struggling to swallow food. He was diagnosed with pneumonia. We have been told he has between a month and 6 months to live by the consultant. We have given notice to his previous care home as hospital has told us he needs nursing care. Now the battle begins, he was self funding. We are been given conflicting information every day from the hospital. Pathway 3 assessment bed but not referred, CHC checklist done but actually not by discharge team. Doc states not eligible for fast track as he will live longer than a month. At the moment dad is homeless with nowhere to go if discharged. Surely this can’t be right xx

Humper

Mar 18, 2020
I would suggest you look for excellent advise from a site called care to be different,it is run by a lady called Angela Sherman,who quiet some time back was involved with the NHS in trying to get NHS continuing health care funding for her parents who were in a care home.
Just type in care to be different and it will take you straight to the site.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I would suggest you look for excellent advise from a site called care to be different,it is run by a lady called Angela Sherman,who quiet some time back was involved with the NHS in trying to get NHS continuing health care funding for her parents who were in a care home.
Just type in care to be different and it will take you straight to the site.
Thank you for your advice. Dad has made a brilliant recovery after 12 weeks in hospital. X